Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

opening a bank account in Pattaya?

You don't need any specific card for that. If you have a Debit Card, KasikornBank offers you for free access to a "virtual visa card" at your name made for online shopping (K-Web Shopping Card). I think all main banks have a similar "virual card".

Beware the Virtual Credit Card when making airline reservations. I couldn't produce the card at check-in when flying with Thai Air and went through about 30 minutes of trying to explain to them about virtual cards not being physically visible.

As my flight was getting ready to board, I gave up, went across to another ticket counter and bought a ticket for cash.

After 6 weeks, and several phone calls, I did get a refund on my original ticket.

Also, I don't know about you, but my virtual card has a limit of only 100,000 baht, which is less than $3000 USD.

Since I got the virtual card, the ATM Debit cards have advanced to where they can be used for online purchases (before they had no CVV and an out of range expiration date, so they were not accepted as credit or debit cards).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Several years ago when I opened my Kasikorn account. I brought in $500 TCs so the 33 baht charge was less as it's per check. Even with the charge the exchange rate was better than for cash. I was o

I just changed some TCs earlier today. My rate was 29.61THB/USD minus 33b/chk=.33b/$ == 29.28 THB/USD. The cash exch rate for $100 notes was 29.47. (This was at a Kasikorn exch booth on 2nd Rd.)

They still appear keen to offer CCs to foreigners, as long as you are prepared to have a fixed term (3m) deposit equivalent to your credit limit.

Posted Images

Thanks for that info Jacko, i may pop into Bangkok Bank and see if something can be worked out with them

They still appear keen to offer CCs to foreigners, as long as you are prepared to have a fixed term (3m) deposit equivalent to your credit limit.

IMAG0014.jpg

• Upvote 1

Does anyone still use their original bank accounts from their own countries via online banking? Has anyone heard of problems/security issues accessing their home accounts while using internet it Thailand??

Does anyone still use their original bank accounts from their own countries via online banking? Has anyone heard of problems/security issues accessing their home accounts while using internet it Thailand??

Doing business with two banks and a credit union from Thailand. I haven't had any access problems. Two of them even accepted address changes reflecting my Thai address. I did that because I am using their credit cards and I will be here too long for a travel notification to cover the out of country usage.

The third one, Wells Fargo, I haven't told. I don't plan to use their ATM card while here, but have done so in the past without any problems other than their fees.

I use my USA bank accounts, including Debit cards while here, as well as online banking. The only problem I had was when trying to do a wire transfer to China (PRC) with my bank, they told me I had to go to a branch and fill out a form and present identification. That was a bit of a problem, since all their branches are in the USA.

I also use a USA address for all my USA accounts. Some accounts specifically state they are only for US residents.

Doing business with two banks and a credit union from Thailand. I haven't had any access problems. Two of them even accepted address changes reflecting my Thai address. I did that because I am using their credit cards and I will be here too long for a travel notification to cover the out of country usage.

The third one, Wells Fargo, I haven't told. I don't plan to use their ATM card while here, but have done so in the past without any problems other than their fees.

I have used my WF ATM card here...works fine last time I used it (about 10 years ago :P )

Might be an issue when they implement one Gateway for the internet.

Beware the Virtual Credit Card when making airline reservations. I couldn't produce the card at check-in when flying with Thai Air and went through about 30 minutes of trying to explain to them about virtual cards not being physically visible.

As my flight was getting ready to board, I gave up, went across to another ticket counter and bought a ticket for cash.

After 6 weeks, and several phone calls, I did get a refund on my original ticket.

Also, I don't know about you, but my virtual card has a limit of only 100,000 baht, which is less than $3000 USD.

Since I got the virtual card, the ATM Debit cards have advanced to where they can be used for online purchases (before they had no CVV and an out of range expiration date, so they were not accepted as credit or debit cards).

I thought you only had to show the credit card when someone else bought your ticket using theirs?

I thought you only had to show the credit card when someone else bought your ticket using theirs?

To show show someone else's credit card, they'd have to give it to you or travel with you, wouldn't they?

Frankly, I don't know how they would deal with me buying a ticket for someone else on my card, and them travelling without me present. Obviously, I wouldn't give them my credit card. Airline rules can be strange.

Anyway, the showing of MY credit card was a requirement at that time on a domestic flight with Thai Air. I don't know if they still require that or not, but that's what happened then, and I'm just warning about it.

Yes, I do.

I might be concerned on a non-secure wireless connection, or some public type place.

I would not use someone else's, or a public use computer.

You could install a VPN on your own computer.

Yes, I lived in Thailand for 10 years and had an account with Wells Fargo in California. They had no problem with my living abroad as long as I had an address in the US. (I used my daughter's.) A wire transfer account had to be set up in person at their bank. To activate a transfer I had to telephone the bank's international desk in Colorado giving them account details and a PIN. They did not allow internet initiated transfers. A call at 01:00 would mean the transfer completed same day mid-afternoon and there were never any problems.

Until August 2011 when I got an email from the bank:

There was a problem with your account
While processing your transfer request, we received information from your bank that the following account was no longer active:
Account: BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD. XXXXXX1234 Routing Transit Number: 026001234
We removed the account from your list and cancelled the transfer.

Apparently someone attempted to cancel the Bangkok Bank account number on my WF valid bank transfer list and then tried to transfer money from my WF account to my alleged new account in Hong Kong.

No damage done. I changed my password and there were no further problems.

As far a air tickets purchased by credit cards I've been asked for the card at check-in on more than one occasion. (Can't remember which airlines.) I've read that if purchasing a ticket using your card for someone else you may have to have the airline validate your identity prior to the flight by presenting your cc and id (passport, etc).

• Upvote 1

A girlfriend visited me last year... she bought her air ticket with her own credit card.. between the buying and the travel she had to change the card, because it expired... she got an other card, same name, same number, but different expiration date... she had very big problems, almost late the airplain.

Edited by Gabor
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. Following my post #42 on previous page, I made last week another attempt to open a second account at Kasikorn next t Tukcom, but go the same negative result: no account without a Residence Certificate from Immigration or an Attestation from your Embassy, even if you already are a client of the bank... :(

So yesterday I went to Jomtien Immigration to get this document. 25 minutes & 300 baht later I got it; fast & easy process :smile:. This morning I was back at Kasikorn.

- First was "We have insurance. 2'500 baht"... :hairout. Please Kasikorn, I know your staff get some incentive on new contracts they get, but please stop them to insist so much *each time* for such products we don't need !

- Then "You not have work-permit?" then "So you cannot open account"... :blink: . I had to be very diplomatic explaining I was retired here and then could not have a WP. She took 5 minutes looking at her screen and looking again and again at stamps in my passport, then went ask advice at a superior: "We need guarantee". Ok. What kind? "Guarantee" ?? Ok, quickly the fact I own my condo interested her. I had my "docs book" with me, including condo's Chanote copy that I gave her. Look like it was the 1st time she saw one??.. even if she is not new here. It took forever before she asked her superior, again. I understand that the problem was "your name not same". Reason: Kasikorn uses Latin alphabet while the Chanote uses Thai alphabet. Not MY fault! ;)

- Now came the problem of the Card. I initially said that I wanted a secondary account to receive some payments, just a passbook and no card, but now she affirms I can't get an account without a Card! "Cannot. Mandatory in computer". I have a Card already with my main account, and don't need and want one with this new account. Again approval of the superior made it suddenly possible... :rolleyes:

- Ultimately, after signing 4 blank Thai forms I could not understand (?), after taking 10'000 baht deposit on my main account, and after smiling for a CAM picture, I got my passbook for my secondary account... finally. :rolleyes: . Took me 40 minutes! :wacko:

Make me laugh thinking about that now, but what a galley! Procedures have change a lot in this Kasikorn agency. I opened my first account here as a tourist, with 500 baht and an hotel address... I am really disappointed by their new attitude. I would now recommend people to go to the agency in Central Beach Festival who seems to be the friendliest right now in Pattaya.

• Upvote 1