Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

And so it has started

Hello everyone,

What a long strange trip it has been so far right? :smile:

Some background info:

I am 26 now and been a member of this forum for about 8 years and at last I need some real help from you guys. I have been in Thailand 12 times ( every time 2-3 weeks ) so far with my first time in 2001 as a 14 year old and my last time 2 years ago when i was 24.

I might post my big and long Thailand story some time but for now I'll keep it strictly professional.

Well the basic idea is to move to Thailand this year. I have an uncle living in pattaya who owns a hotel+bar but I would like to be working and living in Bangkok. I am actively looking for a job in my sector in Thailand but as I just started today I have no responses yet. I am the owner of a Belgian webdesign&marketing company ( currently I have 2 people working for me ) which is doing good, but the dream has finally taken a decision to move. And ofcourse the long waiting girlfriend is driving me too.

Im sure I will have hundreds of questions but some of the basic ones are :

The visa and work permit

I have read that a non immigrant visa type B is needed for working in Thailand and in most cases is obtained by a company which you'll be working for right? What is the estimate time of approval and the costs involved here?

Living in BKK

As bangkok is the center of business in Thailand I would like to live here. Is the company arranging this normally? And if not, how much should I expect to pay for rent every month for a decent apt/studio.

Salary

I'm fully aware that in most cases a normal Western salary wont apply to a job in Thailand so i'm looking for an estimate to calculate things by. Some info:

I am 26 years old , turning 27 in March

I have studied computer sciences and am very very good in design, webprogramming and marketing.

I have been in a sales position for 8 years now, with management functions for about 4 years now.

I am fluent in English, Dutch and French. I am also taking up Thai lessons as we speak.

The language

I am starting to learn Thai online. Do you guys have some decent resources or can recommend a service/product ( doesn't have to be free necessarily )

The internet nowadays

Besides having a daytime job in Bangkok I would also like to freelance and expand my webshop platform from Thailand, how are fixed and mobile connections now in Thailand and the costs of it?

At last

Can anyone render an estimate of a normal months expenses ( me + girlfriend ) living in BKK?

Thanks alot for the help guys! :smile:

The employer has to apply and presumably they pay for it but for jobs where there are lots of Thais who can do the work, don't get your hopes up.

There are many expat sites for Asia, Bangkok especially but I doubt the company will do anything and you will pay more than the $500-$800 monthly Pattaya prices for sure. There are some YouTube videos of an expat looking for apartments and they were informative, but for a little they were dumps and for 1/2 decent they were not cheap.

And the salaries will be, I bet.

You should do at least some of your own work on the budget and job front. Bangkok has a lot of expat including working expat sites that would inform you were you to look. Some of the salary, rent and budget items are "how long is a string?" types of question, e.g. YMMV, on what you'll take or pay.

• 3 weeks later...

The questions you have to ask and honestly answer is :

"What can i do that a Thai national cannot do and can i "monetise" that advantage to a near western income.."

If the 2nd answer is "No" then you are wasting your time as you will be overpriced and not earn anything.

Many have tried and most have failed.

IMHO.

We'd all like to up sticks and just go and live in Pattaya or Bangkok and if it was at all possible we'd all be doing it. But you have to be financially independent and meet their visa requirements or you're out on your ear. As it should be

Don't know too much about the foreign employment picture, but web design & marketing sound very much like areas Thais themselves are well into. If any boardmembers are actually working here in those areas perhaps they can advise you, but in the alternative I'd think it would be very much in your own interest to find a position BEFORE you make any commitments to relocate here.

Hello again and thanks everyone for the replies so far.

I am well aware that it's going to be a difficult journey but I am commited in following my dream.

I am actively scouting and applying for positions. My main strengths are sales & marketing which is certainly a field with some future for farangs in Thailand i guess if you look at thai standards in marketing/communications for bigger firms.

@tomcat76

I am trying to find a job well before I make the move, or atleast find some income while making a network in Bangkok.

@yogi100

I understand your statement, but I think if you are motivated enough, you will find a way ( and a work permit )

@grandpollo

Thanks for the info!

@aussielongboat

You are right on that part, however I am fairly sure my qualifications and my age combined can surely say Yes to the second question.

@tomcat76

I am trying to find a job well before I make the move, or atleast find some income while making a network in Bangkok.

You can find work teaching English as a second language in Thailand. You get a work permit and everything is legal. You need to take a TEFL course that's 4 weeks long. Check out www.ajarn.com

The visa and work permit

I have read that a non immigrant visa type B is needed for working in Thailand

A non-imm visa is required - usually, but not necessarily, a B Type.

and in most cases is obtained by a company which you'll be working for right?

The Visa is obtained by the individual. The company will invariably have to supply various documents to support the application.

Be aware that the end of the university academic year in Thailand is fast approaching and many of the major companies have already started doing their milk rounds. The newly-graduated individuals will be your direct competition and they have the distinct advantage of being fluent in the local lingo.