Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Health-threatening smog is now coverring Thailand

1363239177238.jpgSmog blankets northern Thailand

By Digital Media

http://www.thaivisa....thern-thailand/

CHIANG MAI, March 14 - Health-threatening smog, rising levels of airborne dust particles, is now threatening the northern provinces of Thailand, which could affect the health of local residents.

Prayat Ananthapradit from the centre to prevent smog in the upper North reported today that yesterday the level of dust particles in the region was reported at a level which could impact residents' health.

Three provinces are at risk with dust particle levels measured higher than 120 micrograms per cubic metre which is the upper limit for Thailand’s acceptable level of dust particles.

In Lampang, the particulate matter was measured at 159mg per cubic metre at the provincial weather station and 142mg at the provincial natural resources and environment office in Mae Hong Son. The highest level was found at Phrae provincial weather service office at 205mg.

Mr Prayat said the centre has instructed all upper northern provinces to keeps monitoring the air quality as for other provinces. He said although the dust particle level remains below safety standard, it keeps increasing, such as 112 micrograms measured in Phayao, 99 micrograms in Nan and 82-99 micrograms in Chiang Mai provincial seat.

Meanwhile, in the northeastern province of Loei, forest fire occurred in Phu Sawan Forest Park in Phu Ruea district, covering a 5 kilometre radius.

Forest fire workers rushed to combat the fire and prevent it from expanding to other areas.

The initial damage assessment found that the fire quickly burned 500 rai of parkland mainly due to leaves, grasses and underbrush which are quite inflammable when dry. (MCOT online news)

-- TNA 2013-03-14

======================================================================

The dust particles are as small as 2.5 micrometers in diameter, they fly far far away.

These particles are so small that they can get deep into the lungs and cause breathing problems.

In a few days, heavy pollution is predicted in Thailand, you can see it in the website:

http://sprintars.ria...movie_casu.html

On the figure, time is shown at the right upper side of the figure.

2013(year) 3(Mar.) 13(day), (time) 06 hours.

The time shown is GMT or JST, I don't know.

Google [pm2.5], the key word.

"Mr Prayat said the centre has instructed all upper northern provinces to keeps monitoring the air quality as for other provinces."

Wouldnt it be more useful to take steps to eliminate the problem, rather than just monitoring it?

"Mr Prayat said the centre has instructed all upper northern provinces to keeps monitoring the air quality as for other provinces."

Wouldnt it be more useful to take steps to eliminate the problem, rather than just monitoring it?

Seeding for rain? It is all caused by farmers burning isn't it?

I think cloud seeding for rain is shooting salt pelts in to the clouds but our university here is working with Chiang mai because apparently they have had some success. We have cane farms that burn of, they tried banning this but end up with a big pest problem so farms burn alternative years now.

I think cloud seeding for rain is shooting salt pelts in to the clouds but our university here is working with Chiang mai because apparently they have had some success. We have cane farms that burn of, they tried banning this but end up with a big pest problem so farms burn alternative years now.

Well I meant if they could make it rain it would put the fires out.... no fire would have survived here in Pattaya with the downpour we just had.

So burning was banned on the advice of...? And farmers ended up with an unforeseen pest problem? 'Bet they were grateful for THAT advice... Anyway, 'thought cloud seeding was done with silver iodide or something more exotic than salt. (Or maybe silver iodide is a "salt"?)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been here since wednesday, just got back to pattaya an hour ago and it wasnt good. From my hotel window on the 8th floor I was not able to see the hills at all. We were there two days and my GF started getting nasal problems and headaches from the continual nose blowing. We went to Doi suthep one day and there is no view, you can only see as far as the closest buildings at the bottom of the mountain, everything else is covered by smog. I wanted to hire a motorbike and head to the hills, but there is no point.

This happens every year so the locals will never change their habits.

I am in Thailand and we haven't got this smog........

Isn't it just in the northern bit?

A local in CM told me that it was right across the North West, he had been in CM for twelve years and said it was the worst that he could recall.