Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pattaya Memorial Hospital - Good Service (Too Many Russians)

I got bit by a dog on Wednesday afternoon, a house dog nevertheless but who knows how clean they are so I went to PMH off 2nd Road @ Soi 7 for a quick look and a few shots.

The place is ass deep in Russians who seem to have a collective hobby of falling off of scooters (or moto taxis, Baht buses or watercraft) judging by the number of scraped and bandaged appendages and casts I saw. There are even two full time Russian to Thai interpreters near the entrance who seem to spend their time as go betweens with the fallen and the tour companies and the medicos (for the insurance, I assume as there was a tour company lady there with a sheaf of papers for all of these folks). They are all limping around, or in wheelchairs with new casts or bandaged like the mummy or covered in iodine for road rash.

Bypassing all them to head towards reception, it's clear when you are a cash paying customer they move you along pretty fast and offer a few discounts along the way. I have insurance but it is easier just paying cash and claiming later.

I was in and out the first time in an hour for a measly THB1,500 including THB650 of vaccine. Then after talking to my after hours doctor I went back for more treatment (immune globulin) and that only took another hour, as I had to get them to "reopen the case" for this additional injection (8 more, actually and they hurt like hell). That was a bit more money - so much that the nurse (a real cutie-pie) wanted me to approve the cost first. She said THB12,000 and I said OK, but at the end including service fees it fell to THB8,800. A nice cash discount. For 12,000 she should have come back long time.

Looking around the ER it is well equipped, and they do well with English and operate a pretty efficient setup, so in a pinch it seems like a decent enough place to go. I did not go to Bangkok Pattaya due to the distance more than anything else, but I suspect it might have had a similar cost. Or more, I have heard.

I have to get 4 more needles, one Tuesday at PMH, two in Bangkok at the travel disease clinic when I am there next week, and one at home in April. Bangkok only charges THB345 for what they charge THB650 for here, mind you.

If there were 50% less Russians (or scooters) I would have had the place to myself.

Edited by Grandpollo
  • Upvote 1

I was taken there a few years back when i came off my bike. I found them very good, very efficient and very reasonable, and some very cute nurses.

I have heard too many bad stories about BKK Pattaya and i hope never to have to go there again

They kept me alive when I suffered a heart attack on my first trip so I am eternally grateful to them for that even though they called the B.I.B. on me when it was time to settle the bill, LOL.

They kept me alive when I suffered a heart attack on my first trip so I am eternally grateful to them for that even though they called the B.I.B. on me when it was time to settle the bill, LOL.

Okay, there's a great story there. Give it up.

BIB were called...you had no funds? They still treated you?

WTF happened?

I know a girl, just talking to her tonight, who had a motorcycle accident..they started treating her and asked about her ability to pay. She had no money on her, only her drivers license...said they could keep the licence and she'd come pay the next day. They threw her out...told her to go to Banglamung hospital!

Okay, there's a great story there. Give it up.

BIB were called...you had no funds? They still treated you?

WTF happened?

I know a girl, just talking to her tonight, who had a motorcycle accident..they started treating her and asked about her ability to pay. She had no money on her, only her drivers license...said they could keep the licence and she'd come pay the next day. They threw her out...told her to go to Banglamung hospital!

I've told the story before on this forum. It was many years ago. I can try and search for it and post a link. I'm slightly inebriated at the moment so it won't be tonight (me and the search function are not compatible).

If I can't find it, I'll do a new post. It's quite a long story as you can imagine.

I was taken there a few years back when i came off my bike. I found them very good, very efficient and very reasonable, and some very cute nurses.

I have heard too many bad stories about BKK Pattaya and i hope never to have to go there again

I must admit I have retained a negative image of PMH due to the fact it was often on TV where young Thai men had been 'rushed to' after being shot, boozed up in some Thai pub...mostly they seemed to die and I could see a lack of hygienic procedures there... nurses without face-masks and friends of the injured all milling around wailing.

They came to the Expats Club (Dad's Army as you call it) and did a presentation which changed my mind... a bit.

BPH could do with some competition to get their pricing practices in order.

Edited by jacko

BPH could do with some competition to get their pricing practices in order.

I've been unlucky enough to have stayed in Memorial, P.I.H. and Bangkok Pattaya, all for heart attacks and must say that Bangkok Pattaya take the piss when they know you have an Insurance policy that they can rape!

I've been unlucky enough to have stayed in Memorial, P.I.H. and Bangkok Pattaya, all for heart attacks and must say that Bangkok Pattaya take the piss when they know you have an Insurance policy that they can rape!

BPH don't care where the money comes from...they'll rape you, insured or not, if they know the money's there.