Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I apologize for what is I am sure an oft reviewed topic, but with only 30+ days to go, I have to ask.

I am going to be in Pattaya, but have the legendary and regrettable 6:00am flight to Tokyo to catch upon my departure back to the real world. My question is, is there a cheap yet safe hotel within reasonable distance of BKK airport. This will be my final day, and I am sure funds will be running low, so I don't think the availability of TGs will be a big deal. I just want cheap, close, and safe.

Links to previous topics would be appreciated, as your help always is. Thanks for pity on a newbie!  :)

you will never find a cheap hotel near the airport unless you know a  local and they can find some type of guesthouse up around there.  The Amari is the only real hotel there and is very nice and has broadband and a shuttle to the airport for free.  but this costs between 4000 and 6000 per night.

you really don't need to be 'near the airport'.  taxis are plentiful in BKK and can get you to the airport in 25 minutes from  Sukhimvit road  between 9PM and 6AM, and in about an hour the rest of the time.  Khoa San road is about the same time.  so get  a  cheap room in either place and just give yourself 2 or 3 hours before your flight to jump in a cab and get to the airport.  staying at the Amari or anywhere else you can find near the airport   may only save you 30 minutes; what's the point?

My Northwest flights to the states always leave at 6AM.  My apartment is  near Sukhimvit, and I leave at about 4:15 and I am in the check-in line by 445 and waiting at the gate at 5.   you can do the same thing.

of course if your flight is leaving mid-day you will have to leave yourself more time to deal with BKK traffic,  but 3 hours before flight time should suffice.

hope this helps

Bob

just re-read  your post and it seems as though you do indeed have the same flight time as i usually do; maybe even with Northwest?  my advice  above is still valid; although you  say that the availibity of  ladies is not really necessary,  I feel as though since it will be your last night  you  may want to have some company.   why sit in your hotel at the Amari alone when you can be at the Nana or the Dynasty  with a cutie?  hang with her until 3 or so, take a shower and get your ass up to the airport;  you will be too wound up to sleep anyway.  The taxi on Nana Tai can get you to  the airport in 30 mins and you will be on your way to Tokyo; sleep on the plane.   believe me, trying to sleep in a hotel from 11 or midnight until 3AM will just make you feel worse when the alarm goes off.  Just stay awake, screw your brains out one last time, and head to the gate.

have fun

I stayed Jumbotel several times.   It is 10 min from the airport by a taxi.   The room charge was around 1000Bht for Farang in 1998.  For Thai it was 200 or 300 Bht cheaper.  If you are with a Thai lady, you can get a cheap price.   The room is OK, it is almost same level to Eastiny or Flipper in Pattaya.

In front of the Jumbotel, there is  TK Palace Hotel.   This hotel may be little pricy than Jumbotel.    Jumbotel is difficult to find, but you can find the big neon sign of TK palace.

There is Don Muang Mansion.  It was 600 Bht in 1998.   I  hear this is 2-star hotel.   You can walk from the airport, about 15 min walk or you take a bike-taxi from the air port station it's 10 Bht.

JumbotelF34/5-8 Chaengwattana RdADon Muang, BKK 10210.

Tel: +662 573 1240

Fax: +662 574 1008

TK Palace HotelF54/7 Chaengwathana soi 15.  Tel 274-1588

Don Muang Mansion F118/7 Soranakom Rd.

Telephone (662) 566-3023A FAX (662) 566-3514  

Here is a map, on the map big blue rectangular is Don Muang airport.

Here is a map, on the map big blue rectangular is Don Muang airport.        

http://www6.big.or.jp/~ozw/thai/bkk_ah.htm

Jumbotel     34/5-8 Chaengwattana RdADon Muang, BKK 10210.

Tel: +662 573 1240

Fax: +662 574 1008

TK Palace Hotel     54/7 Chaengwathana RdADon Muang soi 15.  Tel 274-1588

Don Muang Mansion     118/7 Soranakom Rd.

Telephone (662) 566-3023A FAX (662) 566-3514