Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

In yesterday's readers submission's in Stickman's web site,Dean Barrett,the author,posted a real good article on the Bars,an the characters that frequented these places,if was a fitting obituary to an niche area of Bangkok frequented by ex-pats. Bangkok and Thailand are changing everyday and for us old timers who have a love,hate realtionship with the place it was a trip down memory lane.

In yesterday's readers submission's in Stickman's web site,Dean Barrett,the author,posted a real good article on the Bars,an the characters that frequented these places,if was a fitting obituary to an niche area of Bangkok frequented by ex-pats. Bangkok and Thailand are changing everyday and for us old timers who have a love,hate realtionship with the place it was a trip down memory lane.

I went to look at the place a few years ago. Even then, it looked like it was on life support.

Someone once wrote a good piece on Washington SQ. that appeared in Salon, or one of the online magazines. Maybe 15 years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

I lived right around the corner from the Square just off Soi 22 and spent much time there.

Molly served me drinks almost every night at Lone Star, but I'm surprised that Dean doesn't know which ex-BGs are running Easy Pub. They're former staff of Silver Dollar, Jeeab and Jah.

Edited by LocalYokul

Molly served me drinks almost every night at Lone Star, but I'm surprised that Dean doesn't know which ex-BGs are running Ezy Pub. They're former staff of Silver Dollar, Jeeab and Jaaw.

Is Manee still there? She told me a couple of months ago several of the remaining Easy Pub girls were moving to a new place the Easy Pub owner has; called something like Too Easy in a small sub-soi mear Titanium and that No Idea gastro-pub that was built in place of Larry's Dive.
  • Upvote 1

Don't know, as I'm not on the ground. I did read that Silver Dollar might open up again where the Pelican was, in that soi beside Titanium, but it might be false.

Doug Harrison (Bourbon Street) had the brains, and finances, to get out of the area in time.

Don't know, as I'm not on the ground. I did read that Silver Dollar might open up again where the Pelican was, in that soi beside Titanium, but it might be false.

I think what happened is that Too Easy opened there instead of the re-birth of Silver Dollar. Maybe Ned has a share of Too easy.
  • Upvote 1

Stayed on Soi 22 several nights and didn't even know about Washington Square. Makes me wonder if it would be worth the cost to hire a guide sometimes. Problem is finding the right one. The Thai guides would just take you to the soapys

I stayed at Bourbon St once.

Really enjoyed the locals. Whenever I went to BKK I'd spend part of a day in one of the Korean body scrub places or have a meal in a bar there.

I went back to look at the ruins last time I was in BKK...Sad it's gone but happy I had it for a while.

Edited by atlas2

Stayed on Soi 22 several nights and didn't even know about Washington Square. Makes me wonder if it would be worth the cost to hire a guide sometimes. Problem is finding the right one. The Thai guides would just take you to the soapys

I know a Dutchman who provides tours around BKK, his alias is Dr. Love on the BKK Tonight forum.

I went back to look at the ruins last time I was in BKK...Sad it's gone but happy I had it for a while.

I was completely gutted when I saw the remains.

At the same time, like you, I'm glad to have spent some quality time there over the years.

Edited by LocalYokul

I lived in Washington Square for more than two years. It was an interesting place to say the least. I knew all the guys mentioned by Dean as well as Dean himself. In the early 90's most of the old CIA spooks were still alive and that in itself was quite interesting. The last of the Squareoneans was Mekhong Kurt. He passed away some time back. I think he knew his time was about up because he died at home in Texas. He very seldom made that trip. I still see Richard Diran at Taffy's once in a while. Doug has a New Bourbon Street but I have never been to the new place.

Even with most of the Square demolished, I still stop in to see Taffy at the New Square One when I get to Bangkok. I can never forget Ja. LocalYokul calls her Jaaw. She was my girlfriend for a period of time. At the start of her bar girl career, she worked for Seagate Hard Drive company. She started working part time at the Silver Dollar. She adapted to her new bar girl career very well and was quite popular. Unfortunately she was very high maintenance. Nothing but the best designer clothes and accessories. She still looks very good and still likes only the best of everything.

Not much left of the Square now, only good memories.

Strolled around the Square this afternoon and took a few shots to share. The first one is standing on the south end of the sidewalk at Sukhumvit about where the Dubliner used to be and looking southwest ... the old Washington theatre/Mambo/Sportsman would be due south

DSCF3895.JPG

This second shot is basically the reverse of the first and taken outside the Easy Pub (which is still in business for a few more months) which was/is on the south end of old WS.

DSCF3897.JPG

The next two are from inside Easy Pub; a shot of the current afternoon staff and the card board. Back in the day when you wanted folks to be able to find you; then you would leave a card on the board of your favorite stop(s) of WS. Just one of thse touches old hands became fond of and which is sort of a dying custom in these days of internet overload/facebook/linked, etc.

DSCF3898.JPG

DSCF3899.JPG

This last one surprised me a little, a rather forlorn appearing leftover sign advertising the "Washington theatre" still hanging in there after all these years across the back (southwest) entrance to WS opposite Denny's corner.

DSCF3900.JPG

• Upvote 1

They're clearly going to make this into something big, but I wonder what's taking them so long.

There's a mix of previous staff in the pic, Wild Country, Silver$, and Texas Lone Star.

Strolled around the Square this afternoon and took a few shots to share. The first one is standing on the south end of the sidewalk at Sukhumvit about where the Dubliner used to be and looking southwest ... the old Washington theatre/Mambo/Sportsman would be due south

attachicon.gifDSCF3895.JPG

This second shot is basically the reverse of the first and taken outside the Easy Pub (which is still in business for a few more months) which was/is on the south end of old WS.

attachicon.gifDSCF3897.JPG

The next two are from inside Easy Pub; a shot of the current afternoon staff and the card board. Back in the day when you wanted folks to be able to find you; then you would leave a card on the board of your favorite stop(s) of WS. Just one of thse touches old hands became fond of and which is sort of a dying custom in these days of internet overload/facebook/linked, etc.

attachicon.gifDSCF3898.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3899.JPG

This last one surprised me a little, a rather forlorn appearing leftover sign advertising the "Washington theatre" still hanging in there after all these years across the back (southwest) entrance to WS opposite Denny's corner.

attachicon.gifDSCF3900.JPG

Nice pictures. I would give you a green if I was a voter. Is the old Lido movie house in Siam still there? I heard it might have been torn down after the red shirts riots and turned into a 7/11 or something even less unique.

One day if not already Thais will regret tearing down these older places ... well maybe not Wild Country.

Nice pictures. I would give you a green if I was a voter. Is the old Lido movie house in Siam still there? I heard it might have been torn down after the red shirts riots and turned into a 7/11 or something even less unique.

One day if not already Thais will regret tearing down these older places ... well maybe not Wild Country.

You might be talking about the Apex, still there and showing movies.

Yeah, the old Washington Theatre was a great place to see a movie. Almost as sad to see it become the Mambo as to see WS deteriorate. The Sportsman succeeded the Mambo and a smaller version of the Sportsman migrated over to the Trendy complex on Soi 13 last year. It seems to be thriving there and is a good place for a value-priced Sunday roast lunch/dinner ... just 195 Baht which is a great price for Bangkok.

• Upvote 1

attachicon.gifDSCF3895.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3897.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3898.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3899.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3900.JPG

You might be talking about the Apex, still there and showing movies.

Actually, he's talking about the Siam theatre which was burned down by the Red Shirts and later turned into a shopping complex.

The Lido(Apex) and Siam Scala won't be there much longer. The ownwers (Chulalongkorn University) are replacing them with a big shopping mall when the leases expire next year.

Personally, I'll be gutted when that happens - I was a big fan of the Apex group of cinemas.

.Actually, he's talking about the Siam theatre which was burned down by the Red Shirts and later turned into a shopping complex.The Lido(Apex) and Siam Scala won't be there much longer. The ownwers (Chulalongkorn University) are replacing them with a big shopping mall when the leases expire next year.Personally, I'll be gutted when that happens - I was a big fan of the Apex group of cinemas.

Thanks, Lido/Apex/Scala/Siam, they all sort of merge in my mind into one place but I vaguely recall there being two separate old theaters there and heard one burned up in the riots. I remember those places being ornate almost Victorian with heavy red velvet curtains that they would manually draw when time to project the movies. First one I saw there was the old Bond flick Moonraker back in 1980 or so. My next trip back to Thailand was 1992 and I stayed near WS and saw Backdraft at the Washington theater. It was "modern" compared to the Apex.

I suppose the new places are better today but I doubt if they make for any better experience.

• Upvote 1