Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thank you Saddic. Yes that FX page is one of the two that I use. One more follow-up question to the fellow board members that are in Pattaya and who keep a close eye on the rates; your opinion, have you ever noticed any days of the week pattern that the currency prices are stronger. For example, are Friday and Saturday usually better prices for foreign currencies than say a tuesday?? Thank you in advance. Sam.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lose lose at the moment……..Industry is scared of Labour getting it's hands on the country's credit cards and the Conservatives holding a referendum that walks us out of Europe. This quarter's output w

I think someone posted this before but if you are changing money in the airport Kasikorn in the basement (next to the skytrain entrance) is the best rate, all other booths offered 43.41 today yet Kasi

Looks like the £ to THB is back down to the late 46's. Odd because the sterling has been strong lately. Anyone know what and where the best rates are in town at the moment?.   woot! my 1000th post.

Posted Images

For the £, SCB TT rate is up to 51.25 this morning.... in the middle of election results which show Labour being dumped in Scotland in preference for SNP.

The 33.3+ Baht/US$ is a trigger level for me as it is a number I always remember from years ago.

As to the question above... you can look at how the rates move around during the days on the SCB site, , some days there are over a dozen updates.

Rates seem to get kicked around by the releases of various economic results and data.

I realise that this will be different for expats but can I suggest the following for holiday makers. I have settled into a plan that works real well for me. Lets for example take someone who uses pound sterling. My guess would be that over say the last three years the average value against the baht would be say 50 baht to the pound. How simple is it to simply keep to this formula whatever you pay for your baht.

Prior to any trip I might buy up to five lots of baht at different prices and to keep track is simply not worth the effort so to me I would say that every purchase is at fifty baht to the pound. In this way whatever I buy, pay for or transact it is real simple as I am not remotely interested in adjusting on a daily or monthly basis.

The only caveat to this rule is that if there is a devaluation or something that say shifts a currency over ten percent then you need to revise the bottom line.

Please believe me when I say that since I took this line these discussions about FX rates simply don't occur.

Noticed in town more changers are asking for passports or ID, but I've found the pic on my mobile is ok, some don't care and others are pretty anal about it.

Kasikorn in Big c insist upon the original, photo or a copy is not acceptable, despite having been an account holder in the past, I couldn't reopen it.

51.2 at most changers, was 50.08 yesterday at Kasikorn kiosk opposite Soi1.

On Monday (11th) the exchange booths were offering around 51.6 to the £. Using my Halifax Clarity card I got 51.88. Factoring in the only additional charge of around 20p interest, gives me a net rate of 51.84.

The bulk rate (briefly) broke 53 yesterday.

• Upvote 1

On Monday (11th) the exchange booths were offering around 51.6 to the £. Using my Halifax Clarity card I got 51.88. Factoring in the only additional charge of around 20p interest, gives me a net rate of 51.84.

The bulk rate (briefly) broke 53 yesterday.

Are you getting money on the card inside the bank then, as I would expect an 180 baht charge?

Reason I ask is I heard many banks were telling customers to go use the ATM.

Are you getting money on the card inside the bank then, as I would expect an 180 baht charge?

Reason I ask is I heard many banks were telling customers to go use the ATM.

I only use CitiBank ATMs (in BKK), no ATM fee. Otherwise I always go inside the bank. Never been told or asked by bank to use ATM.

In April,it wasn't looking good when it dropped the £ dropped to 47.6... so for a 10% rise in one month has given my spending money for my trip this week a nice little boost!!! :bhappy

• 1 month later...

The bulk rate is above 53 to the GB£ again - closed at 53.4 today. I’ll check the credit card rate (my preferred exchange method) when I’m back in BKK next week.

In April,it wasn't looking good when it dropped the £ dropped to 47.6... so for a 10% rise in one month has given my spending money for my trip this week a nice little boost!!! :bhappy

I just took a look and the rate I normally refer to is a whisker below 53 baht/£.

For some reason I still feel like holding off on a transfer.

I just took a look and the rate I normally refer to is a whisker below 53 baht/£.

Probably wise; a rise in interest rates is thought to be imminent in UK, and is probably fuelling the strengthening of Sterling. That traditionally improves exchange rates, just as Thailand's recent cut has been detrimental to the Baht. Greece could cause havoc to European currencies of course, and not only to Euro based countries.
  • Upvote 1

I'll let you know when I next transfer……….You'll find the rate will jump significantly 2 days later.

I'll let you know when I next transfer……….You'll find the rate will jump significantly 2 days later.

As I was wandering around Jomtiem yesterday I noticed that the Baht/£ cash rate being offered at the exchanges was about 25 satang higher than posted on my banks website. And that both the sending bank, and receiving bank would charge me for the privilege of making a 'telex transfer' between UK and here. Makes it tempting to bring one's spending money over in cash, change it at TT exchange and then deposit it.

It isn't all about the couple of thousand baht one might make over the risk of carrying large amounts of cash... cutting the banks cuts is tempting too!

Edited by jacko

As I was wandering around Jomtiem yesterday I noticed that the Baht/£ cash rate being offered at the exchanges was about 25 satang higher than posted on my banks website. And that both the sending bank, and receiving bank would charge me for the privilege of making a 'telex transfer' between UK and here. Makes it tempting to bring one's spending money over in cash, change it at TT exchange and then deposit it.

It isn't all about the couple of thousand baht one might make over the risk of carrying large amounts of cash... cutting the banks cuts is tempting too!

That's why I always only bring cash with me to Thailand and I never withdraw cash from an ATM whilst.... Unfortunately for Mrs Fiend our trips tend to coincide with her pay-day whilst we are there, so she gets stung on FX charges when she takes out some cash to leave for her mother.

• 4 weeks later...

I just made a transfer, so I thought I would give YOU advance warning of a likely significant jump in rates.

Rate I got was 53.04, minus the usual 500 baht this end..a recent peak!

I requested the transfer at 10am yesterday, and money arrived at 9am today, zero charges at the UK end.

It is all so straightforward........

I did have to supply my address here in Thailand, the bank is strengthening its anti-money laundering procedures.

Possibly something to do with them having to hand over $300,000,000 to the USA DFS!

I'm actually considering sending next years school fees to Australia now.

Just me thinking about it is good news for the Aus Dollar.

Saw this on in a TT booth on second road yesterday.

More than 2 baht higher than any other booth but thr girl on the counter reckoned it was correct. Pity I didn't have any sterling on me to change. Mai bpen rai:)

IMG_20150715_132330.jpg

Saw this on in a TT booth on second road yesterday.

More than 2 baht higher than any other booth but thr girl on the counter reckoned it was correct. Pity I didn't have any sterling on me to change. Mai bpen rai:)

attachicon.gifIMG_20150715_132330.jpg

Fuck me, that is the highest the GBP has been in ages,