Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thai: LAX to BKK question

Has anyone flown Thai from LAX to BKK recently?

I am trying to find out if they are enforcing the 15-pound carry on limit, or if they are relaxed about it like most airlines.

Last time I flew Thai from LAX was a few years ago, and at that time they did not care.

Has anyone flown Thai from LAX to BKK recently?

I am trying to find out if they are enforcing the 15-pound carry on limit, or if they are relaxed about it like most airlines.

Last time I flew Thai from LAX was a few years ago, and at that time they did not care.

I wouldn't count on any kind of relaxed enforcement. It's been a few years since I flew LAX to BKK, but when I did, the girl at the counter insisted that I place my carry-on bag on the scale. It weighed a lot. 19 or 20 kilos. She told me I had to take enough stuff out of the bag to get the weight down to 9 kilos. The only problem was that my checked bag was already full. Somehow, I managed to do it by using my laptop as my "personal" carry on item and shifting some of my camera lenses and other stuff to my checked bag. I didn't really want to do that, though, as the lenses were expensive. Anyway, I somehow managed to get to BKK with all my stuff intact.

Before that incident, I never knew there was a weight limit to carry on bags. I thought they just measured the dimensions.

I think the carryon weight varies from 15lbs to 23lbs,depending on the carrier.I spent my career in the industry and I think you set a carryon weight record at 40+ lbs! :teeth:

I wouldn't count on any kind of relaxed enforcement. It's been a few years since I flew LAX to BKK, but when I did, the girl at the counter insisted that I place my carry-on bag on the scale. It weighed a lot. 19 or 20 kilos. She told me I had to take enough stuff out of the bag to get the weight down to 9 kilos. The only problem was that my checked bag was already full. Somehow, I managed to do it by using my laptop as my "personal" carry on item and shifting some of my camera lenses and other stuff to my checked bag. I didn't really want to do that, though, as the lenses were expensive. Anyway, I somehow managed to get to BKK with all my stuff intact.

Before that incident, I never knew there was a weight limit to carry on bags. I thought they just measured the dimensions.

Edited by bigdelta

I had that problem with Eva but not Thai.

I was only over by 10 lbs and offered to pay a penalty (I had checked no luggage) but Eva wouldn't play.

Flown Thai 5 times and never had that problem.

You could go shopping at scottevest.com and get a tropical jacket and trousers with lots of big pockets, allowing you to temporarily redistribute the weight for check-in, then repack after. Works for me travelling carry-only.

• Upvote 1

You could go shopping at scottevest.com and get a tropical jacket and trousers with lots of big pockets, allowing you to temporarily redistribute the weight for check-in, then repack after. Works for me travelling carry-only.

Yeah, security would be a riot.

Or would you do it right there at check-in once you had the boarding card in your pocket.....or one of them.......too many pockets is an issue for me? :D

The U.S. airlines I have flown recently do not bat an eyelid at a 40-pound carry on. They just monitor the size.

The 15-pound limit enforced in Europe and by EVA at LAX is such a rip off. Any halfway decent carry on weighs 8 to 10 pounds. I have a Travelpro Lite, and that is 8 or 9 pounds. What can a person carry to remain within the limit - a couple of cameras and a handkerchief?

I even ordered a rolling duffel, thinking it will be lighter because of its thinner construction. But it is not - it needs to have a frame and the total weight comes to 7 pounds or so.

Well, I dont fly EVA from LAX unless the price or schedule forces me to. That happens sometimes.

I wish regulatory bodies update the weight limit and bring it up to a sensible level.

Thanks for the thought...unfortunately it is an apples and oranges situation.

The carry ons shown are backpacks, or the type that have to hang from the shoulder. Given the amount of walking needed at airports these days, most people want something with wheels, and these don't have them. Carrying a 25-pound bag, plus a personal item with your laptop - well that is not smart for most people.

The one bag I looked at in detail did not even give the weight, just the dimensions.

But, as I said, thanks for the thought.

Think like an activist - instead of us having to conform to unfair rules, we should do what we can to make the airline change its rules!

I wonder why they have these rules in the first place? It's OK to put weight in the checked bag, but if it's in the carry-on bag, it's somehow a problem? It's all going on the same plane.

I've come to the conclusion that I can travel with almost nothing. I can buy what I need when I get there.

I am going to try the Osprey Porter Duffel 46 to see if I can give up the wheels and still survive.

I agree that 25 pounds would be too heavy to lug through large airports, but I am thinking that 10-15 pounds would be okay.

The Osprey pack has connectors that allow you to use it as a shoulder carry bag. I'll let you know how it works out.

I wonder why they have these rules in the first place? It's OK to put weight in the checked bag, but if it's in the carry-on bag, it's somehow a problem? It's all going on the same plane.

I've come to the conclusion that I can travel with almost nothing. I can buy what I need when I get there.

Other than the fact that the take-off weight limit needs to be avoided? :D

I don't understand why people feel a need to carry over 15llbs of weight onto the aircraft. In economy, overstuffing of the overheads is a real problem. I check my suitcase in and am glad to be rid of it....and as most airports involve quite a hike I want my carry on to be as light as possible. (The damned laptop makes that difficult), I also want to simplify security by not being loaded up. Is it just to avoid the wait for the suitcase at the end point?

• Upvote 1

Overstuffing of the overheads has to do with volume, not weight.

I am allowed a certain size carry on, and whether I put 15 pounds in it, or 40, it will take up the same space. I thought that was obvious.

As to why people need to carry stuff - I think most people want to pare down weight. The problem is security, and essentials.

Security is a major problem at some airports. Heathrow and Kennedy are famous for pilfering, and I have friends who have had their bags broken into. Mine has been too. I wouldn't want to place a camera or other valuable in checked baggage.

Airlines themselves warn against placing valuables in checked baggage. So once you have placed a couple of cameras, chargers, shaver, electric toothbrush, a change of clothing, essential toiletries, documents, maybe some meds, condoms, a magazine or two, some computer accessories, and maybe the laptop itself, you are way over the 15 pound limit if your bag itself weighs 8 or 9 pounds.

• Upvote 1

I am allowed a certain size carry on, and whether I put 15 pounds in it, or 40, it will take up the same space. I thought that was obvious.

As to why people need to carry stuff - I think most people want to pare down weight. The problem is security, and essentials.

Security is a major problem at some airports. Heathrow and Kennedy are famous for pilfering, and I have friends who have had their bags broken into. Mine has been too. I wouldn't want to place a camera or other valuable in checked baggage.

Airlines themselves warn against placing valuables in checked baggage. So once you have placed a couple of cameras, chargers, shaver, electric toothbrush, a change of clothing, essential toiletries, documents, maybe some meds, condoms, a magazine or two, some computer accessories, and maybe the laptop itself, you are way over the 15 pound limit if your bag itself weighs 8 or 9 pounds.

Electric toothbrush, electric razor.... are you disabled?

I have normally my laptop, travel documents, change of shirt/socks/undies/pants and travel documents, telephone, small camera.

Pretty sure I am well under 15lbs.

Chargers, in the suitcase, got a drawer full of the damned things.

Essential toiletries......do you menstruate?

Meds....a few aspirin and ant-acids.

Condoms....who the hell you having sex with on the aircraft or transit point?

I wouldn't buy a bag that weighs 8lbs empty!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 2

Whether or not airline personnel strictly enforce carry-on limits (size, weight, number of bags) depends to some degree if they are expecting a full flight. I've never been asked by Thai check-in agents to weigh my carry-on bag, but it has happened on occasion with other airlines.

I fly mostly with United and it doesn't have a stated weight limit for carry-on bags. I don't pack my carry-on very heavily, but it is easy to go over 15 lbs. I always carry one of those "stowable" bags that unfolds to give me the option of one carry-on bag and one "personal item." A few times when airlines (usually regional carriers in the U.S.) have been really tough or I'd bought a lot of stuff, I checked the loaded fold-out bag. Fold-out bags come in all sizes, from small to a full 61 linear inches. I find them very useful. I can travel light to the U.S., with no need to wait at EWR or JFK for bags, then go back to Thailand fully loaded with checked baggage.

Evil

And you, Jacko, are a pathetic person that everyone steps on in real life. Which is why you hide behind the anonymity of these boards to be rude and disgusting to polite and considerate people.

Learn to carry on a real discussion or piss off and crawl back into whichever hole you live in. No one needs your useless comments.

What I carry is my business, not yours.

Other than the fact that the take-off weight limit needs to be avoided? :D

I don't understand why people feel a need to carry over 15llbs of weight onto the aircraft. In economy, overstuffing of the overheads is a real problem. I check my suitcase in and am glad to be rid of it....and as most airports involve quite a hike I want my carry on to be as light as possible. (The damned laptop makes that difficult), I also want to simplify security by not being loaded up. Is it just to avoid the wait for the suitcase at the end point?

For all the stuff I'd rather not have stolen, I try to pack it in my carry-on. Maybe I take too much stuff. Anyway, on the flight in question, I had a laptop, cell phone, DSLR, and three or four expensive lenses, along with my passport, some medicine, etc. The less expensive or not important things went in my checked bag. But from now on, I'll be traveling with a minimum. I even have a lighter laptop, a MacBook Air.

And you, Jacko, are a pathetic person that everyone steps on in real life. Which is why you hide behind the anonymity of these boards to be rude and disgusting to polite and considerate people.

Learn to carry on a real discussion or piss off and crawl back into whichever hole you live in. No one needs your useless comments.

What I carry is my business, not yours.

Then stop whining about carry on restrictions like some child!

Polite and considerate haha! I have flown extensively in the USA and polite and considerate was not something I saw much of!

Edited by jacko
  • Downvote 1

I have always assumed overhead limits were about the obvious volume limitations but also weight limitations. Not total weight limitations for the whole plane but a weight limitation for each individual overhead bin. In fact on some airlines I have even seen specific weight limitation signs posted on each bin; not a weight limitation per bag but an overall weight limitation for the whole bin. Put enough weight in a bin and with all the airplane flight movement the door latches may give way (which I have seen) or the entire bin structure may fail especially in an emergency.

I have flown out of LAX internationally on a number of airlines over the years including Asiana, Korean, United, Philippine Air, Nippon Air (actually transferred to in Tokyo), and China Air and have never had my carryons weighed. However in the distant past (I have not been there for more than 10 years) the Manila airport use to check everyone's carryon's for weight at least for international flights. It was not airline specific, it was done after checking in but before getting to immigration.

I always take a small computer bag for under the seat in front of me and a backpack with wheels that I do wheel around the airport but put on my back when embarking on the airplane. The backpack easily fits in the overhead bins but certainly weighs quite a bit more than 15 pounds.

Anyone have recent experience with Carhay Pacific regarding carryon limits?

I am planning to go business class and their website shows 15 pounds for carryon limit. I don't know if they are strict about it or not,

I am planning to go business class and their website shows 15 pounds for carryon limit. I don't know if they are strict about it or not,

I flew Cathay Biz from BKK to Hiong Kong and was not subjected to any checks on my hand baggage,

For Biz Class their site says 22lbs total carry on.

Thanks for the update. At 22 pounds I should be okay now that I have switched the roller bag for an Osprey pack. I suspect they might be a little more flexible for the higher price ticket.

Flew Cathay to Hong Kong on May 14, return on May 16, no hassles with carry-on bags and the flight was full.

Evil

:devil

I have just done a Cathay return UK - Hong Kong (Out First/back Biz) last week. No checks on hand luggage at all, but I don't travel particularly heavy in that department myself. However; some of my fellow pax in Biz seemed to be "really packing"! :llaugh BTW 1st is superb, but then again I wasn't paying for it! :bhappy