Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pupen Seafood Restaurant In Jomtien- UPDATED Feb. 19, 2014

Great photos again, Evil. They sure made my mouth water, but I'll have to wait for some time before I'm back over there (only been back in Aust for 3 weeks). Thanks for the write up.

They do seem to have a penchant for employing swathes of very young gender confused waiters (waitresses?)

But I don't think they deserve the 'obnoxious' epithet.. always very good at what they do and frankly always of a better standard of service there than some other 'high profile' seafooderies of that locale ;)

My Thai wife totally agrees. If we are going out to eat seafood, she insists on this restaurant. We no longer even try other places. The wife knows what is fresh and what isn't. My taste buds are not that developed.

A novel attribute of having a Thai wife I hadn't considered ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,A Substitute for my tired taste buds.

"Does this taste good to me?"

"Yes it does tilac...... But don't speak with your mouth full of poo......"

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

I'm in England..............

If you are in the UK you should be on a balm cake rather than a roll!

If you are in the UK you should be on a balm cake rather than a roll!

Very north west UK .

I remember when i first moved to London in the early eighties , i went to my local bakers shop and in my strong northern accent asked the lady for half a dozen balm cakes and she said " you'll have to go to the chemist shop for that stuff love ". very funny .

PS.......Happy birthday Jacko...... :party

Holiday back in the balmy UK has been great........But....

Roasts, curries, Chinese take-aways, English breakfasts, (with pampered pig bacon), fish an' chips............Chocolate digestives, toasted buns, pate, mature cheddars, kettle crisps..........Doom Da and Rebellion bitters........ No exercise or sex has taken it's toll............ 3 Kgs more round the belly

My first month back will be spent living in Pupen and the likes, living on boiled fish and papaya bok-bok just to get back to the point where I thought I was a bit overweight!

Very north west UK .

I remember when i first moved to London in the early eighties , i went to my local bakers shop and in my strong northern accent asked the lady for half a dozen balm cakes and she said " you'll have to go to the chemist shop for that stuff love ". very funny .

PS.......Happy birthday Jacko...... :party

Baps then, or maybe a stottie cake in the NE.

But I was playing with the 'balmy' double entendre'. I will be over there myself soon.

Many thanks for the good wishes.

Edited by jacko

Holiday back in the balmy UK has been great........But....

Roasts, curries, Chinese take-aways, English breakfasts, (with pampered pig bacon), fish an' chips............Chocolate digestives, toasted buns, pate, mature cheddars, kettle crisps..........Doom Da and Rebellion bitters........ No exercise or sex has taken it's toll............ 3 Kgs more round the belly

My first month back will be spent living in Pupen and the likes, living on boiled fish and papaya bok-bok just to get back to the point where I thought I was a bit overweight!

Well I am expecting the good weather to disintegrate when I arrive in a few weeks, it absolutely never-ever is good weather when I am there!

• 8 months later...

The last time we went there with a friend and his Thai wife, the place was totally packed and a long waiting line. We decided not to wait and went back towards Jomtien and picked another sea food place. It wasn't bad but not nearly as good according to both our Thai wives.

That was the first time I have ever seen it totally filled and a waiting line. I don't know what the occasion was.

That was the first time I have ever seen it totally filled and a waiting line. I don't know what the occasion was.

Busloads of Thai, other Asian and Russian tourists probably have the most to do with Pupen being full on occasion. The two giant buses I wrote about in my update disgorged a total of about 150 people. Even without the tour buses it can get pretty busy on weekends and Thai holidays.

The Thai lady that took me there said Pupen translated to "spicy crab". Not saying she is right, only that it is interesting Thais translate it differently.

I heard it meant "live crab." The story was that back in the earliest days, when Pupen consisted of two or three fold-away tables, the old man who did the cooking kept the crabs alive in baskets in the sea. He'd haul in a basket as needed.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 2

'Live crab' works better.

Edited by jacko

Taking a baht bus from Pattaya does it go directly past the restaurant? If so how far along the road is the place?

I don't think the regular baht buses run to Pupen, but I'm not sure where exactly on Jomtien Beach Road the final stop is. Probably you could give the driver some extra money to take you the final stretch. Usually there is a baht bus waiting outside Pupen that you can charter to get back to Pattaya. One night, when we'd gotten there late, there weren't any baht buses when we'd chek binned. We walked about 20 minutes north along Jomtien Beach Road until we could flag down a regular BB.

Evl

:devil

• Upvote 2

Not doubting the quality of the food nor the service or ambience but 2800 for five seems rather expensive to me.

Remember where you are.

Im not having a pop at you Papps, but this clearly shows you have not been to Thailand for a long time. Things like food, fuel, beer etc have gone up a lot in price over the last 18 months. This price EP quoted for what he and his friends had is reasonable.

bigmick, on 20 Feb 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

Im not having a pop at you Papps, but this clearly shows you have not been to Thailand for a long time. Things like food, fuel, beer etc have gone up a lot in price over the last 18 months. This price EP quoted for what he and his friends had is reasonable.

I've made no secret of the fact that I haven't been to Pattaya for nearly two years now. You are there and I am not. I hear what you say regarding increase in prices and I believe what you say, however it still seems expensive to me.

Five Tour Buses indicates to me that it might well be so.

I've never been a Foodie especially a lover of sea food but I imagine a couple of fish, five crabs, a couple of plates of Prawns and some soup ingredients could be had elsewhere for far less than 2800 Baht.

I'm sure you know of such places?

Where do normal Thais eat simple food like that in simple places like that and how much does it cost?