Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

What do you think this really means?

If you've been to Thailand, I'm sure you've seen signs like this.

What do you think the meaning, purpose, and consequences of this sign might be?

uploadfromtaptalk1370319018333.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Many toilets cannot swallow tissue and especially granny rags. There are some idiots who intentionally try to stop up toilets. Why they do this is beyond my comprehension. There are few things worse than a toilet that is overflowing.

There are few things worse than a toilet that is overflowing.

While on a bus rumbling into BKK a few weeks back, I saw 4 giant 'pots' of water on the side of the road. Two of these pots were occupied, a Thai man sitting nonchalantly in each, shoulders submerged and watching the heavy traffic.

I did wonder??

But only for a few seconds..........The bus trundled on and into sight came an open-hatched Sukumvite sewer and a figure emerging ........... wearing only shorts and shit!

I think I'd turn to crime rather than have to hold down the contents of my stomach in order to hold down the 'nine to 5' these poor 'w'retches endured..

I agree with Gary but I think this qualifies as one of the few things worse than an overflowing bog and served to remind me that some Thai ways remain feudal

Edited by atlas2

If they aren't 'proper' toilets then I rarely give a shit. By proper, I mean reasonably clean, have a bum gun and air or paper towels for your hands. If they have a communal towel then they fail in my book. If they charge then they are lucky that I don't piss on the walls or worse.

Edited by steamer

As for the question well I too have wondered about this. Because of culture and training I get rid of my tissue down the crapper but I do wonder at times if the intention of the signs is to request that you dump the crappy ones in the bin as well. I am pleased that I am not the only one giving serious thought to this question!

As for the question well I too have wondered about this. Because of culture and training I get rid of my tissue down the crapper but I do wonder at times if the intention of the signs is to request that you dump the crappy ones in the bin as well. I am pleased that I am not the only one giving serious thought to this question!

I've been here a long time, and on those rare occasions where I'm compelled to use a toilet in a business to take a dump, I've never thrown the tissue that I've used to clean myself into the bin.

I'm still not sure if that is an exception to the sign or not.

However, I take some comfort in the apparent lack of any fecal odor coming from the bin due to others following the instructions to the letter.

Happens in other countries too, including the US. In the US it has to do with Mexican custom - the tissue in that country - at least some years ago - was not designed to disintegrate in the sewer. Hence they had big bins in which they dumped them. Many do that in the US also, out of habit I suppose. Especially near the border areas.

I have seen such signs elsewhere too, Vietnam comes to mind. Their sewerage system was not designed for tissue, the sign stated.

If you look at the plumbing in most shop houses you will notice they use 2" to 3" diameter pipes to connect toilets to the sewers whilst in western countries they use 5" to 6" pipes. Subsequently the smaller diameter pipes block easily when tissues along with turds try to negoitate the smaller pipes.

Any self respecting boat owner who does not like to be elbow deep in someone else's crap will tell you that smaller pipes don't handle masses of wet paper well.

On board, only what comes out of your body goes in the toilet. Everything else goes in the bin.

Head plumbing on many boats is 2 inches, often 1.5 inches. It's remarkable how easy it clogs...and it ain't the shit, it's the paper that does it!

Just to add to the scenario above, this is the trash bin next to the toilet.

uploadfromtaptalk1370383346302.jpg

So, as I understand from those knowledgeable about pipe sizes, one is to take a wad of shitty toilet paper, push down the lid on this panda receptacle, and insert along with all the other shitty wads of paper that are already there.

Great.

so whats the deal with that? I use the guns when i'm in LOS but always use TP to dry myself after, is everyone else walking around with a wet ass ?

You are supposed to clean yourself with the bum gun. The tissue is only for drying, so it won't be smelly in the bin.

If you look at the plumbing in most shop houses you will notice they use 2" to 3" diameter pipes to connect toilets to the sewers whilst in western countries they use 5" to 6" pipes. Subsequently the smaller diameter pipes block easily when tissues along with turds try to negoitate the smaller pipes.

This is how I interpret the reason for the signage.

Going back to the OP, you don’t have to have psychic powers to deduce that it’s just possible that MM is having toilet trouble and is, perhaps, making an ironic comment with regard to the low literacy levels of some of his patrons. Is there a prize here for the correct answer?

Re the:

......and into sight came an open-hatched Sukumvite sewer and a figure emerging ........... wearing only shorts and shit!

I think I'd turn to crime rather than have to hold down the contents of my stomach in order to hold down the 'nine to 5' these poor 'w'retches endured.....

A mate of mine had the same job in the UK, but he gave it up after two years because the foreman had bad breath.

• Upvote 1

You are supposed to clean yourself with the bum gun.  The tissue is only for drying, so it won't be smelly in the bin.

Well, frankly since my toilet training, I know what I am supposed to do.

I'm trying to reconcile it with this cultural imperative.

By the way, I always do the paper first, then the bum gun, then a dab of paper to dry...and EVERYTHING goes into the toilet!

Common in Baja due to lack of water pressure & disposal system.Always a small covered trash can next to the toilet which needed to be emptied daily.

Edited by bigdelta

can someone tell me what a bum gun is?? is it portable?

Can you first tell us if you are pro- or anti-gun control?

Member of the NRA? (US National Rifle Assoc.)

Many toilets cannot swallow tissue and especially granny rags. There are some idiots who intentionally try to stop up toilets. Why they do this is beyond my comprehension. There are few things worse than a toilet that is overflowing.

Maybe they get home sick and need to remind themselves where they come from?

That the water pressure is bollocks,and that the floor of said toilet will be littered with shit-stained tissues.

Well the power of the flush is more to do with the tank arrangement, but I do recall years ago, in many a GGB, there was no water coming in and the tank took forever (if it ever did) to fill. When you gotta shit in Thailand you gotta shit!

I now carry a small towel and think the bum washers are far better anyhow.

MM must be bored and has a new hobby of taking pictures in toilets!

I think the reason for these signs in a lot of places is because they are not connected to the sewer system and the waste is held in a tank under the floor of the premises , and you see the guy's early in the morning arriving in there small trucks with a tank on the back and a pump to suck out the waste from the tanks , if there is too much paper in the tank it will clog the pump up and piss of the guys doing the work who will then charge the customer more baht because of the extra time it will take to unblock the pump and carry on pumping .

Simple really........ :thumbup

• Upvote 1