Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Thai A380 coming to London

Looks like my Christmas trip will be on a nice new aeroplane.

Taken from Thai Air UK site:

On December 1, 2013 Thai Airways daily service between London Heathrow and Bangkok will be jet-propelled into the 21st century when the worlds largest aircraft, the A380, comes into operation on the route.

The A380 is just the latest advance in THAIs 53-year pioneering history and another clear sign of its commitment to offering customers the most comfortable and environmentally friendly flights available allied to its incomparable THAI service. Whilst other airlines may also fly the A380, none can match THAIs seven galleys and food service stations that will ensure faster service and responsiveness by its 24 cabin attendants.

The A380 TG911 will fly daily London- Bangkok departing at 11.50 (ETA 06.10) with the return A380 TG910 departing Bangkok at 01.10 (ETA 07.15). An A346 will operate on THAIs second daily flight: the TG917 departing London at 21.35 (ETA 15.55) and the TG 916 departing Bangkok at 12.50 (ETA 18.55).

The A380 is among the most environmentally and technologically advanced civil airliners flying today, with major innovations in construction, fuel-efficiency, avionics and flight control systems. It has also proved extremely popular with passengers due to its increased space and enhanced levels of comfort in all classes.

Relative to the next largest aircraft the Boeing 747-400 the A380-800 offers 50 per cent more cabin area on its two full-length upper and lower decks, larger windows and overhead bins as well as 60 cm. (2 ft.) more headroom. It carries up to 35 per cent more passengers (thus helping to alleviate the growing problem of congestion at major airports), yet creates significantly less noise and CO2 emissions than its rivals.

Throughout its 50+ year history, THAI has created an enviable reputation for the quality of its celebrated Royal Orchid Service. The A380s will continue this tradition. The standard cabin layout offered by the Airbus A380 manufacturers allows between 525 and 853 passengers. In THAIs configuration however, the number of seats has deliberately kept to an even lower 507 passengers to maximise space and comfort.

The seats are arranged in three classes: 12 in Royal First Class, 60 in Royal Silk (Executive Class), and 435 in Economy. This design has been chosen to allow for enhanced comfort and service in all classes whilst retaining its inimitable sense of Thainess, The décor and ambiance on board will continue to reflect the airlines long-established image, combining rich vibrant colours with traditional design elements seen, for example, on bulkhead murals. The overall atmosphere will be stylish and sophisticated, with variable cabin mood lighting simulating different times of day.

Everyone at THAI is excited that the A380 will make flying between London and Bangkok an even more enjoyable and unforgettable experience. Were sure that our loyal travellers will be too!

Thai Airways flies twice daily to Bangkok, leading on to over 70 cities across 5 continents. THAI constantly has special promotions so check out the website for the latest deals.

The A380 is just the latest advance in THAIs 53-year pioneering history and another clear sign of its commitment to offering customers the most comfortable and environmentally friendly flights available

So what is their excuse for servicing the worlds busiest International airport with ancient 747s with poor IFE for all those years?

They are still going to run an evening flight using an A346 .

Thanks. I see it now.

Edit

I was just looking at the seating layout and there are a lot more middle seats on these big planes.

Lots of 3-4-3's compared to 2-4-2's or 2-3-2's

YUK.

Edited by steamer

Whichever way you slice it, economy passengers are nowadays nothing more than self-loading cargo and the others pay handsomely for being made to feel 'special'. Gnash, grunt.

Somehow it's nice that in the remoter parts of Issan, people still rush out of their houses and point into the sky when an aircraft is seen passing overhead.

• 3 weeks later...

Thai A380 ex London now cancelled. No reason given

A rumour I heard a recently,and I do say rumour, was that Thai have ben told if they want to fly the A380 into LHR, then they will have to give up one of their landing slots.

Thai A380 ex London now cancelled. No reason given

A rumour I heard a recently,and I do say rumour, was that Thai have ben told if they want to fly the A380 into LHR, then they will have to give up one of their landing slots.

Postponed rather than cancelled - now expected to be October 2014.

Reason given "important technical moddifications" Thai's A380's will be going in for the "wing fix" so they won't have enough to add the LHR route until next year..

Postponed rather than cancelled - now expected to be October 2014.

Reason given "important technical moddifications" Thai's A380's will be going in for the "wing fix" so they won't have enough to add the LHR route until next year..

Wing fix? I thought this problem was fixed.

Edited by TheFiend
BigD still struggling to use the quote function

Wing fix? I thought this problem was fixed.

Airbus continued to build and deliver A380s with the known wing problem (cracking L brackets). Their plan calls for the planes to be taken out of service at a later date to fix the problem. I've read the "fix" takes anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks or more per aircraft. I don't know if they have been able to improve upon that or not. Of course, Airbus will compensate the airlines for the loss income while the planes are down for repairs.

Edited by Samsonite

I believe BA is taking delivery of of it's first A380 this week with the wing fix installed prior to delivery..... Existing Operators are taking planes out of service to retrofit the wing fix.

Airbus continued to build and deliver A380s with the known wing problem (cracking L brackets). Their plan calls for the planes to be taken out of service at a later date to fix the problem. I've read the "fix" takes anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks or more per aircraft. I don't know if they have been able to improve upon that or not. Of course, Airbus will compensate the airlines for the loss income while the planes are down for repairs.

I have to wonder what the people who are currently booked on A380 would think about flying on a plane with known wing problems? Could it be Airbus is putting profits before safety?

• Downvote 1

I have to wonder what the people who are currently booked on A380 would think about flying on a plane with known wing problems? Could it be Airbus is putting profits before safety?

I have no problems flying on an A380 with a known problem, just like Boeing fanboys seem to have no problem flying on a Nightmareliner with a dodgy battery system. Interesting to see Airbus have decided to move away from Li Ion batteries for the production A350XWB's.

Looking forward to my next A380 flight in October. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Care to expand that critique to Boeing's Dreamliner?

I just flew on 2 A380's, very impressed.