Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Where Bikes are Stolen

I wonder if enough board members have had bikes stolen - or things stolen from bikes - for us to be able to identify the more susceptible spots.

If we note the location in Pattaya where this happened we may be able to draw some conclusions.

Please give as much information as you know - for instance, the building name alone may not be enough if someone is not familiar with it.

Other identifying factors, such as "in front of 7-11" may also help.

If not many members have had this happen then it will not tell us much, but it is worth trying.

It may also help to post if you know of someone else to whom it happened. I know a woman who lost her bike in front of 7-11. I do not know which one, but when I find out I will post it.

I've never had a bike stolen (knock on wood). I have forgotten where I've parked it a few times!

Never has a bike stolen, but I've had one vandalised (headlight smashed) on the road between Big C Sukhumvit and Tai, and an expensive helmet lifted when parked outside Foodland on Klang.

Hi.

Never has a bike stolen either,

but know several farangs who have had their nice helmet stolen on car-parks of BigC or Lotus Sukhumvit.

Better to have a back box for it if you have a brand helmet.

Hi.

Never has a bike stolen either,

but know several farangs who have had their nice helmet stolen on car-parks of BigC or Lotus Sukhumvit.

Better to have a back box for it if you have a brand helmet.

I had a not nice helmet swipped at Big C

I've never had a bike stolen (knock on wood). I have forgotten where I've parked it a few times!

I've done that with my car in Sydney.

Went to a pub on the way home from work, had 2 beers.

Drove about 200 meters, saw a friend in front of another pub, turned the corner, parked and drank for around 8 hours.

Walked home, way to drunk to drive.

In the morning i couldn't find my car at the first place i parked so i called the police and reported it stolen.

I forgot that i had moved it!!

• Upvote 1

Not had a bike stolen - but I should have on at least 3 occasions.

Ist time I arrived back at the bike 4 or 5 hours later and patted myself looking for which pocket I had (or hadn't as it turned out) put the keys. Thai guy standing outside a hotel across the road clapped his hands to get my attention and pointed to the bike - sure enough there were the keys in the ignition just waiting for someone to "borrow" it for the night. The hotel worker had obviously noticed them there beforehand (or hotel guest had noticed them and brought it to his attention) and was keeping an eye on it.

2nd time I had a flat tyre about 4am in the morning. Pushed the bike a few hundred metres to Soi Bukhao just off Pattaya Klang. Left the bike parked outside a 7-11 and jumped on a baht bus and back to Jomtien to sleep. 2pm the next day when awoke I couldn't find the keys. By 4 pm I decided they weren't on the premises so returned to the bike. 7-11 staff didn't have any keys handed in so I was forlornly standing at the bike - flat tyre, front wheel in lock position and no keys. A motor bike taxi guy came up and asked me if that was my bike. He told me to wait, and disappeared. Returning a few minutes later with another motor bike taxi guy. They went to their little kiosk and retrieved the keys. One of them had found the keys left in the ignition early in the morning. They put a new tube in the tyre - 150 baht - and were happy with a cold Chang from 7-11 as a tip.

3rd time - left the bike outside a hairdressing salon about 7 or 8 p, in Soi Lengkee. Returned about 2am - no freakin keys (again). Bussed it back home to Jomtien for the night. Back to the rental shop the next day to tell them my sad (stupid) story. One of the guys got a big ring of keys (they didn't know which of the spare keys was for which of their bikes) and I jumped on the back of his bike and into Pattaya. While going through trying each key in the ignition the owner of the hairdressing salon arrived to open up for the day - she smiled - went into her shop and returned with my keys.

So I should have had three bikes stolen but on each occasion I was saved by the honesty of the Thai people who work in the immediate area who "took care" of the situation for me in my absence.

• Upvote 2

I've heard of two bikes being stolen from the punter's hotel or guest house. It was suspected they were lifted by the rental people knowing the punter was due to go home and in each case considerable compensation was demanded. The fact that the security locks were attached to the front brake discs in both cases more or less spoke for itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Never stolen, attempts to get into the back-box though.

Then again I take the keys out of the ignition and put a disc lock on it.

What about bicycles. Or those motorised ones. I am thinking of getting one for the TGF to get to work at Tukcom but don't know how safe it will be.

• 3 months later...

Guys, they will steal your bikes here. A gang of thieves picked the lock at the locked parking compound at my old apartment, broke the steering locks and pushed away my CBR250R and a Kawasaki Ninja 250

Got it on CCTV here:

Sorry for your loss there.

Any progress on locating the thieves?

Let us know.

Would a disc brake lock have deterred them do you think?

There was another video shown of a bike theft on Pattaya One news last night.

MO looked very similar.

There was also mention of an upsurge in crime.....

So lock-'em. Apparently the steering locks are small deterrent and easily overcome.

Guys, they will steal your bikes here. A gang of thieves picked the lock at the locked parking compound at my old apartment, broke the steering locks and pushed away my CBR250R and a Kawasaki Ninja 250

Got it on CCTV here:

How long did it take to get paid by your insurance company?