Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Asiana B777 crashes at San Fransisco airport

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First accident with a passenger fatality at SFO since 1937.

Posted Images

Looks like it landed short, in good weather!!??

The news media is just about worthless as they are reporting wild rumors.

I'm waiting to hear the details.

Looks like Asiana Flight OZ214.

Looks like the right main landing gear hit the sea wall.....

No fatalities reported as of the moment.

Now a report of 2 deaths due to the fire.

Edited by Samsonite

It sounds like a major fuck up, somehow. Planes aren't supposed to land like that in good weather. From what I can tell. most on board got out alive. 2 dead and 62 injured. The plane had 290+ aboard.

It sounds like a major fuck up, somehow. Planes aren't supposed to land like that in good weather. From what I can tell. most on board got out alive. 2 dead and 62 injured. The plane had 290+ aboard.

I have lived 30 minutes south of SFO all my life and cannot remember another crash there.

Until yesterday it was really hot in the Bay Area with no wind. What keeps us cool is off shore breezes from the ocean and the bay. The winds may have been a factor for a pilot who has little experience flying into SFO. Asian only recently expanded here. They are the number two carrier in South Korea I believe.

SFO is one of the safest places to fly into and out of in clear weather and except for fog, other types of weather are comparatively less severe than other places.

Amazing that so far the loss of life is so low.

My heart goes out to the passengers, families of the victims and the flight crew who are the last to leave the plane.

I have lived 30 minutes south of SFO all my life and cannot remember another crash there.

Until yesterday it was really hot in the Bay Area with no wind. What keeps us cool is off shore breezes from the ocean and the bay. The winds may have been a factor for a pilot who has little experience flying into SFO. Asian only recently expanded here. They are the number two carrier in South Korea I believe.

SFO is one of the safest places to fly into and out of in clear weather and except for fog, other types of weather are comparatively less severe than other places.

Amazing that so far the loss of life is so low.

My heart goes out to the passengers, families of the victims and the flight crew who are the last to leave the plane.

mm knows this area. Do you recall, mm, any major accidents at SFO prior to this?

None that I can recall, MLC..And from the debris starting at the water line it was likely bad piloting...too low and to early to set down. Lucky he didn't shear off the entire bottom of the plane.

None that I can recall, MLC..And from the debris starting at the water line it was likely bad piloting...too low and to early to set down. Lucky he didn't shear off the entire bottom of the plane.

I have been watching local and national news programs. It is far too early to jump to a conclusion (though my initial thoughts parallel yours MM) but here is what I have been hearing and know first hand from my many experiences flying into SFO

1, approach is over water and you are very low. You feel you could almost jump in

2. the runway is 2 miles long (learned today)

3. there is a relatively low seawall at the end of the runway (learned today)

4. one witness described seeing the tail hit and sparks flying

5. one report says the plane tried to regain altitude and abort the landing (which would explain 4 above)

6. I was on a flight from Europe (daylight) in 1994 that made a sudden climb at the last minute and went back into the traffic pattern. It took another 30 or 40 minutes before we landed. Makes me wonder why now as I never read or heard about any near misses in the local papers or on TV.

7. There was wind but nothing abnormal weather wise.

An eyewitness account:

"I mean we were sure that we had just seen a lot of people die. It was awful," she said. "And it looked like the plane had completely broken apart. There were flames and smoke just billowing."

Kate Belding was out jogging just before 11:30 a.m. on a path the water from the airport when she noticed the plane approaching the runway in a way that "just didn't look like it was coming in quite right."

"Then all of a sudden I saw what looked like a cloud of dirt puffing up and then there was a big bang and it kind of looked like the plane maybe bounced (as it neared the ground)," she said. "I couldn't really tell what happened, but you saw the wings going up and (in) a weird angle."

"Not like it was cartwheeling," she said, but rather as though the wings were almost swaying from side to side.

Got it off a link on my service provider (Comcast). Headline read 60 unaccounted for. hmmm

Edited by midlifecrisis

Typically they land these on auto pilot unless he aborts the landing then he's busy retracting slats and flaps.

If this thing stalled then they are all lucky to be alive.

Sounds like pilot error for sure.

True, most landings of these big jets are done "auto-magically" these days, but the airlines require their pilots to do a manual landing every now and then to "refresh" their skills. A friend and retired airline pilot said he was required to make one out of every 10 landings manually.

By the time a pilot is the captain or first officer (co-pilot) of a 777, he should be able to fly a visual approach, in good weather, during daylight hours, without any aids other than looking through the window at the runway.

At this time only one person is unaccounted for.

Reasonably good live coverage at, http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/ktvu-live-news/vtSfR/?updated

Don't waste your time with CNN.

Edited by Samsonite

I could see the aftermath from my back deck.

My next door neighbor called me a couple of minutes after the crash to alert me. From my vantage point, I thought that almost all the passengers would have died. Passengers are now saying the the plane didn't go up in flames until they were off. Sounds like the flight attendants did an excellent job of getting everyone off very quickly.

After watching the news coverage it certainly looks like the pilot "shorted" the landing, He didn't miss by much, but it never should have been that close.

The weather was not a factor.........its has been beautiful here for at least a week.

There have been a few crashes there before but not very recent. The ones I remember were late 60's early 70's. One landed short in the bay the other messed up takeoff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_International_Airport

Section 8 describes prior "incidents". Also includes a map, airport diagram and photos of SFO for those not familiar with the area.

-redwood

Interesting reading...from the accident reports, one can truthfully say that there haven't been any fatalities at SFO, but there have been several crashes on approach...before they got to SFO.

Accidents and incidents
220px-ABX_Fire_2.jpg
magnify-clip.png
A fire-damaged ABX Air Boeing 767 at SFO
  • On October 29, 1953 British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines flight 304 a Douglas DC-6 en route from Sydney, Australia with fuel stops in Auckland, New Zealand, Fiji, and Honolulu crashed on approach to SFO into Kings Mountain in San Mateo County. All 19 passengers and crew died.
  • On December 24, 1964, Flying Tiger Line Flight 282, a Lockheed Constellation cargo aircraft departing for New York City, crashed in the hills west of the airport, killing all three crewmembers on board.[81]
  • On November 22, 1968, a Japan Air Lines DC-8, named the Shiga[citation needed], operating Flight 2, crash landed on final approach at 9:30 a.m. on a shallow underwater reef at the eastern tip of Coyote Point (three miles short of the runway southeast of the airport). The plane was on a trip from Tokyo to SFO, after making a stop in Honolulu. The pilot was experienced, but apparently misread the instruments on the DC-8, which was less than a year old. There were 107 people on the plane. There were no deaths or serious injuries. The plane was salvaged by Bigge Drayage Company soon after the crash. All luggage and fuel were removed to cut the weight and the plane was lifted onto a barge and taken to the airport for repairs. The cost of repairs was $4 million and the plane re-entered service the following April.
  • On July 30, 1971, Pan Am Flight 845, a Boeing 747 (registration: N747PA, name: Clipper America), struck navigational aids at the end of runway 1R on takeoff for Tokyo. The aircraft's landing gear and other systems were damaged. Two passengers were seriously injured by metal components of the runway approach light pier entering the cabin. The flight proceeded out over the Pacific Ocean to dump fuel in order to reduce weight for an emergency landing. Emergency services were deployed at the airport, and the plane returned and landed on runway 28R. During landing the aircraft veered off the runway. There was no fire. After coming to a stop, the aircraft slowly tilted aft, coming to rest on its tail in a nose-high attitude. The forward evacuation slides were therefore in a nearly vertical position. Evacuation using these slides caused all of the additional injuries, some severe. There were no fatalities among the 218 passengers and crew aboard. An investigation determined the cause of the accident to be erroneous information from the flight dispatcher to the crew regarding weight and runway length.[82]
  • On June 28, 2008, an ABX Air Boeing 767 preparing to depart with cargo caught fire and was seriously damaged. The pilots escaped uninjured. The airline had received a threat the week before, but thus far investigations have revealed no evidence of any malicious device on board.[83][dated info]
  • On July 6, 2013, Asiana Airlines Flight 214, a 777-200ER registered HL7742, crashed while landing at San Francisco International Airport. After slamming into the seawall of the runway, it touched down short of the runway. Passengers and crew evacuated before fire destroyed the aircraft. Two fatalities resulted and ten were in critical condition according to local media. An NTSB investigation is underway.[84][85][86]

Most APPROACHES are made using the autopilot, following the Instrument Landing System.

Normally the autopilot would be disconnected at around 1000 feet and the landing made manually.

Unless the weather conditions dictate (fog, very low cloud etc), the ILS will not be "protected" where vehicles and aircraft are limited as to where they can move and wait on the airfield.

Therefore the pilot cannot rely on a successful autoland as the ILS signal may be disrupted, this is how airfields operate in good weather.

Edited by The_Fat_Controller

Something I heard on CNN this early morning was that a 777 flying into a British airport came up short the same way this aircraft at SFO did.

I think the speculation is that perhaps when the pilot wanted extra power the throttle did not respond as it should have.

The two fatalities appear to be 16 and 17 year old girls sitting in the rear of the plane.

Perhaps the tickets for this airline will be real cheap for awhile.

I will be coming back to Thailand in August and will be looking into that.

The odds are real high that the same airline will crash two times.

Edited by Ducar

Perhaps the tickets for this airline will be real cheap for awhile.

I will be coming back to Thailand in August and will be looking into that.

The odds are real high that the same airline will crash two times.

WTF planet you on?

Second hand speculation on another monger board by guys who might be pilots is that 214 may have been coming in too high and tried to dump altitude and over "corrected".

NTSB spokeswoman on right now.

Flight data recorder showed speed too low and throttles are at idle.

Voice recorder showed that 7 seconds before impact the crew calls to increase speed.

Also, 1 second before impact the stick shaker went off (vibrates) alerting the pilot that a stall is imminent.

Edited by midlifecrisis