Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Asiana B777 crashes at San Fransisco airport

NTSB spokeswoman on right now.

Flight data recorder showed speed too low and throttles in neutral.

Voice recorder showed that 7 seconds before impact the crew calls to increase speed.

So what does that tell us about the cause of the accident, if anything?
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First accident with a passenger fatality at SFO since 1937.

Posted Images

I edited a bit more. Speculation is that the crew sucked off too much speed on approach and before they could correct they hit the seawall.

It appears to be crew error at this point but the NTSB will do a complete inspection, including engines. They will interview the crew tomorrow.

Edited by midlifecrisis

Something I heard on CNN this early morning was that a 777 flying into a British airport came up short the same way this aircraft at SFO did....

That 777, with Rolls Royce engines, had ice in the fuel that, IIRC, blocked a filter screen, causing fuel starvation. There was some talk about watered down fuel, but everyone is too politically correct these days to point the finger. Allegedly, the heat exchangers on that series of engines were re-designed and flight procedures changed, to keep it from happening again.

Edited by Samsonite

Also heard that the airport's glide slope beacon or whatever it is technically called has been offline for the last couple of months. That shouldn't make a difference on a clear day but obviously the plane was too low when it reached land.

From reading the article in Monday morning's Wall Street Journal, it would appear it was pilot error. The co-piolt was flying the plane at the time and, well, here is the quote,

"...An Asiana spokesman identified the co-pilot who was flying the plane when it crashed as Lee Kang-guk, born in 1967 and with just under 10,000 hours of flying time—but only 43 hours of that piloting 777s. He previously had landed aircraft at San Francisco International but this was his first 777 landing at that airport, the spokesman said...."

Also heard that the airport's glide slope beacon or whatever it is technically called has been offline for the last couple of months. That shouldn't make a difference on a clear day but obviously the plane was too low when it reached land.

Hi,

That stood out for me as well. One of the landing aids was out of action at the time of the crash. Everybody is used to computers doing everything for them these days.

Hi,

That stood out for me as well. One of the landing aids was out of action at the time of the crash. Everybody is used to computers doing everything for them these days.

Although almost new to the plane, the pilot flying already had 10.000 hours of flight time. Could be a 737, an A320, but the way pilots land these aircrafts are pretty much the same. It's like driving a car; There's a difference between a Fiat Panda and a 40 ton truck, but basicly they all have a steering wheel and the pedals are all in the same place.

Lets not forget the BA-incident. Although with Rolls Royce-engines, but similair. Maybe in a few months we'll learn that there is something in the design of the engine/ aircraft that leads to a malfunction. Right now it looks like pilot error, but we don't know all the facts yet.

From reading the article in Monday morning's Wall Street Journal, it would appear it was pilot error. The co-piolt was flying the plane at the time and, well, here is the quote,

"...An Asiana spokesman identified the co-pilot who was flying the plane when it crashed as Lee Kang-guk, born in 1967 and with just under 10,000 hours of flying time—but only 43 hours of that piloting 777s. He previously had landed aircraft at San Francisco International but this was his first 777 landing at that airport, the spokesman said...."

What I believe was said by the NTSB was that there were actually four pilots in the cabin. The co-pilot was a pilot at any given time. This was a training run for the pilot who landed the plane as he was inexperienced on overseas flights.

also, the San Mateo County coroner released information today that one of girls that died may have been run over by an ambulance rushing to the scene.

Edited by midlifecrisis

also, the San Mateo County coroner released information today that one of girls that died may have been run over by an ambulance rushing to the scene.

Hows that for bad luck survived the crash and then get run over. Between the pilot and the rescue vehicle its a wonder more didn't die. Friggen idiots should be practising on their own time.

Wrt report of emergency vehicle being responsible for death of one of the survivors… an absolute tragedy, including for the driver of the vehicle, who will be going through hell; probably for the rest of his/her life. These two girls were just 16 & 17 years old.

Hows that for bad luck survived the crash and then get run over. Between the pilot and the rescue vehicle its a wonder more didn't die. Friggen idiots should be practising on their own time.

I was thinking about this. How often do these folks get a call? Talk about a boring job! But the must have really shiny vehicles.

I was thinking about this. How often do these folks get a call? Talk about a boring job! But the must have really shiny vehicles.

Well as fatboy says i guess he ain't feeling too good about it. But ffs put your glasses on and watch where you're driving.

Very sad the poor girls were just starting out in life really. I hope their parents are being properly looked after.

Well as fatboy says i guess he ain't feeling too good about it. But ffs put your glasses on and watch where you're driving.

Very sad the poor girls were just starting out in life really. I hope their parents are being properly looked after.

Very sad indeed.

I read in the local paper that the pilot is claiming somebody shined a bright light in his eyes and temporarily blinded him at 500 feet. He must mean a laser. It could not have been the sun as he was heading north. That was always my excuse when I dropped a fly ball hehe.

I read in the local paper that the pilot is claiming somebody shined a bright light in his eyes and temporarily blinded him at 500 feet. He must mean a laser. It could not have been the sun as he was heading north. That was always my excuse when I dropped a fly ball hehe.

On Thursday the NTSB held their "final update" at SFO and that subject was the first thing in the agenda.

Runway 28--actually almost due west.

Runway 28--actually almost due west.

North/northwest it would appear. As the accident happened late in the morning, the sun would have been just about directly overhead.

sfo-orientation.jpg

This was on the news after an intern confirmed. Later retracted. I'm guessing he'll be fired. Not in the best of taste, but you had to give it a chuckle.

777 Names.jpg

This was on the news after an intern confirmed. Later retracted. I'm guessing he'll be fired. Not in the best of taste, but you had to give it a chuckle.

attachicon.gif777 Names.jpg

Truly incredible that an intern could do this and it could make it on air during the News Report.