Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

First timer on a package deal-Opinions req...

Hi guys,

I will be taking my first steps into the LOS in 26days time.Im on a package deal from the UK with Regional Connection to Heathrow,RTN flights with QUANTAS,room only accomadation 3nts Rembrahdnt Hotel BK,then 13nts Dusit Resort Pattaya with a free upgrade thrown in to a Sea-view room.I booked back in Jan and paid £917inc.Is this a good deal IHO? Also dont know a lot about the Rembrahdnt but from reading the reviews posted ref.Dusit it sonds like a belting hotel but have now enforced a guest policy at a cost of 1000baht.Would i be better off renting a room elsewhere for fun time action or biting the bullet and pay fee? Finally changing of currency Travellers Cheques or take ATM card im part of the link network in UK is this OK for Thai ATM?

All your views kindly accepted with ref to the above.

Many Thanks.

The Dusit positively discourages guests. In high season they won't admit them at all. Go elsewhere for your indoor league, if you don't know somewhere handy your guest will.

stevoh.

Don't you be worrying if it's good value. You've already paid for it.

As for whether you have to pay the joiner fee. Firstly, speak to the manager and assure discretion. Maybe they'll waive any joiner fees.

If not, it's up to you. ST rooms can be had from 250 baht for all night.

As for the Cashpoint/TC question....

Unless you have a Nationwide Building Society debit or credit card, take AMERICAN EXPRESS STERLING travellers cheques.

At the standard 1% charge, they'll cost you £10 per £1000. The exchange rate you will receive in Thailand will be approx 1% higher than the cash rate for Sterling.

So, you won't lose out.

Again, if you haven't a Nationwide debit card, the rate that you receive with cashpoint access will be worse than you receive via Pound Sterling TCs.

If anyone tells you otherwise, they are not from the UK.  :o

I've stayed at the Dusit before and never paid a joiner fee. There again, I have never taken my guests in through reception. I used to take them down the side of the hotel to the pool area and enter the hotel that way, then take the lift up to my room. I also took them out the same way, usually exiting via the gate on Beach Road. Don't think they would be too amused if they caught you though :o

Your price seems to be good value though.

Alan

Juan

I take about half in sterling travellers cheques and for the rest I use my First Direct ATM card. In March I was charged a fee of £1.75  per transaction no matter how much I withdrew.  The rate was good too.

I will be doing the same when I go in November.

Richerts

Juan.

The problem you will have is the night manager at the Dusit.

Ive known some guys get girls in OK and some who have been turned down. Its probably worth chatting to whoever is on the night desk when you arrive and have a talk. The worst that can happen is that he'll say no. But as its low season you might get lucky.

Youl find that most bank cards that work in ATM's in the UK will work in Thailand but your Link card is doubtfull.

Ive got a TSB card that works fine in all the machines.

I usually take cash with me and put it straight into the Hotel Safety box along with my Passport and air ticket. Its usually OK in most reputable Thai Hotels.

When you go out at night, only take as much as you think you will spend plus 1000Baht. That generally works for me but it might take you a day or two to get used to the cost of things.

DONT FORGET TO RECONFIRM YOUR RETURN FLIGHT

Apart from that, dont worry, your heading for some serious fun.

Be cool, try not to drink too much, and most of all ENJOY

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

take ALL sterling t/cheques, and 100 quid in baht.

and a credit card for emergencies.

you can get the t/cheques comish free at lunn poly online, just a fiver delivery charge.

or try your bank.

at the hsbc i get mine comish free.they will spend about an hour trying to get you to take dollars, but be strong and resist  as you will lose out big time on exchange rates at both ends.

as for the 1000 baht, i would rent a second room and stay the nights there, and use the dusit during the day for the pool etc.  

Juan

I take about half in sterling travellers cheques and for the rest I use my First Direct ATM card. In March I was charged a fee of £1.75  per transaction no matter how much I withdrew.  The rate was good too.

I will be doing the same when I go in November.

Richerts

Richerts

It doesn't matter who your ATM card is from. You will still pay a cash withdrawal charge(That's your £1.75 per withdrawal) plus, a foreign exchange commission of between 2.5 and 2.75% per withdrawal(This is not indicated on your statement, but is included in the fine print of the terms and conditions)

That's a minimum cost of around £4.50 per £100, providing you take out at least £100. It you withdraw less, the cost goes up.

Contrast this with the 1 to 2% cost(spread from the mid market rate) with Sterling TCs and the Nationwide debit card which has no cash withdrawal charge or foreign exchange commissions. Their debit card forex rate is normally within 1% of the 'wholesale' mid market rate.

Thanks for the info guys,i think i will stick to the tried and trusted Tr/Chqs and a few Baht in hand for when i arrive.As for the hotel and guest fee i will just have to see the lay of the land when i check in.

ONLY 25 DAYS 14 HRS 17 MINS TO GO........

JUAN

When you check in check in as a double and pay the difference and you should not have a problem.

I don't carry credit cards or ATM card at night or my passport anytime. I carry a copy.

36 days untill I'm reloaded into the Thai Matrix for 7 weeks.....

I agree with the above take sterling TCs. My Link card works in most but not all ATMs I use Thai Farmers Bank machines and have only had a failure with the ATMs in the Royal Garden Plaza. If you haven't done so already do not get your first Thai Bahts in the UK especially at Heathrow, get them at BKK airport the booths are very competitive and open 24 hours a day.

Stevoh.

crack.

re the cash in safety deposit boxes.

you only hase to get unlucky once, and bam! holiday ruined.

never understand tourists who take mainly cash.

Hi Bert

I can honestly say that in all my trips to Thailand, which would be over 40 times, I have never ever had any problems with safety deposit boxes. I did in the PI but never Thailand.

For the last 20 or so times in Bangkok Ive stayed at a small hotel where you have to supply your own lock and key for the box and I have special small Chubb lock that I use all the time.

In Pattaya, Ive stayed at the Dianna, The Woodlands, The Carlton and the Asia and others and never had any problems.

However I now have an account withe Kasikorn Bank (TFB) and have had it for some time due to group members blowing or losing their wads and me having to help them out. I have a UK account with the TSB and can transfer funds into it online or by phone.

I think most hotels will change travellers cheques for you but watch the rate you are being offered. It may not be the best available.

Alan

Valentinoxxx,or anyone else who knows,could you please tell me where i will find the ATM`s that accepts the Nationwide(VISA) debit card in Bangkok airport.

Gus do not change your TCs in a hotel the rates are terrible. The worst in my experience was at The Grand Jomtien Palace who were giving 50 Bts to the pound while at the banks the rate was 63.8.

There are several exchanges which are not banks, at the far end of Walking Street for example, they only require you to bring your passport the first time, they give you a photocopy for future visits. They also do not charge per cheque exchanged, which the bank booths do.

Bank booths require your passport every time and charge stamp duty per cheque so you are better off getting large denomination TCs.

The best deal for large (500 pounds upwards) cash exchanges is at Rungland Bank Gold at 193/162 Moo Rungland off Pattaya Tai Road. They do not take TCs. Tel 038 420097

Stevoh.

Ranger

Just take some money with you if you are going the ATM route and change it at the airport, when you come out into the big reception hall after baggage reclaim and customs there are bank Change shops directly on your left hand side   (and on your right too)

Then DONT PANIC !

You can take your time and wander round Bangkok or Pattaya and use one of the many ATM's there.

I suspect that so long as it is a Visa and you have a password they will all work. MY TSB one does.

Most has been covered, and I apologise if this is duplicated info.

If you are on a package, no need to reconfirm flights.

Do not exchange ANY money in the UK, especially at the airports, wait until Bangkok Airport, the exchange booths there all have the same rate, and you get between 7 and 9 % better rates than in the UK.

I usually bring Sterling TCs, even though having to take your passport with you to change them is a bit of a hassle. As has been said before, do not change in the hotel.

If you bring cash, make sure the notes are in good condition, they do not seem to like tatty ones.

As you mentioned a regional connection, if it's from Scotland or NI, do not take these notes, they will only get a laugh when you try to exchange them!

Have a good holiday!

Valentinoxxx,or anyone else who knows,could you please tell me where i will find the ATM`s that accepts the Nationwide(VISA) debit card in Bangkok airport.

Every cashpoint machine that has a VISA sign will dispense cash with a Nationwide Debit Card. There is one, as I remember, just as you leave customs.

I've stayed at the Dusit and never had any problems getting girls in.  They always hit me for the joiner fee, but as I'd only paid the single rate for the room I couldn't complain.  Still worked out cheaper than paying for a double.

Except when I took more than one girl back of course.  ::)

be seeing you

monkeyman

After exiting customs, and entering the arrivals hall, turn to your laft, and walk all the past all the exchange booths. Almost to the far end, on the left side, you will find two ATMs. I reccommend the Thai Military Bank one.

Several times on my various trips I have had problems with ATM networks being down making my account unavailable. The solution every time was to look for a Thai Military Bank ATM. They worked every time. I guess even the networks don't F*** with the Thai Military. :-)

I Totally agree with Valentinoxxx,the Nationwide cashcard(flex-account)is by far the best card to use in L.O.S.I use it every trip.Just look for the signs CIRRUS and away you go(no fees and a good exchange rate too).I also take a wee smattering of Amex sterling T/C's and a bit of cash.If you join the natwest advantage gold account(£8 per month)you can get Amex sterling T/c's no commision.Join on a three month trial period and cancel after 89 days and you get the 3 X£8 monthly fee back.I've done this on 3 seperate occasions.There is also travel insurance included in the advantage gold package. THE DRUID> :)(71 days and counting)