Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Sailor Bar and Restaurant is well-known for its cheap drinks and food. Since cheap booze in and of itself isn't a big attraction for me, I've never had a drink there and can't comment on the bar s

I'll take a wild stab at it, LOL.   Goulash and Egg Noodles.   Whatever it looks like, it could be delicious. What does a good bowl of Goulash look like anyway? Fucking food snobs are a joke.

Has nothing to do with "food snobs". I love to find good food at cheap places and if I do I usually rave about it. I know the same thing about Evil based on his reporting so if someone is trying to ha

Posted Images

I eat there often and enjoy the food, but the staff are very unfriendly. I was in there a couple of nights ago and it was packd. They must be doing something right.

Guest King_Midas

Yes, if being served with shit food can be called an agenda...

Shight food to him perhaps but perfectly acceptable to the 100's who pack the restaurant night after night. Most popular Beer Bar in Pattaya by a long long way for a reason. Good quality cheap food and beer. If the OP is used to first class service which reading from another thread he certainly is then he's clearly the wrong person to be reviewing dishes that start at 30 Baht for Fried Rice etc.....

Tell it like it is...

• Upvote 1

I eat there often and enjoy the food, but the staff are very unfriendly. I was in there a couple of nights ago and it was packd. They must be doing something right.

Because a restaurant is packed doesn't necessarily mean the food is good. Does anyone really think that food that looks like this tastes good? By looking at it, could anyone tell what this dish was supposed to be?

goulash.jpg

They are super friendly........The OP has an agenda pure and simple

I'm not sure which OP to whom you are referring - me, as the OP of the first post in the thread, or biggles, as per the quote above. But assuming it's me, what agenda could I possibly have?

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 1

Coincidentally a friend of mine who is far from being a CC mentioned this place Wednesday night.

I said I had read of poor food (from here).

He said the food is fine, the beer is cheap and cold, great place.

I can agree the posted pic is unappetising, but my pal had no reason to up the place whatsoever.

Being packed does NOT indicate good food..... free food works that way too.

Edited by jacko
Evil Penevil, on 31 Jan 2014 - 2:24 PM, said:Evil Penevil, on 31 Jan 2014 - 2:24 PM, said:

Does anyone really think that food that looks like this tastes good? By looking at it, could anyone tell what this dish was supposed to be?

attachicon.gifgoulash.jpg

I'll take a wild stab at it, LOL.

Goulash and Egg Noodles.

Whatever it looks like, it could be delicious. What does a good bowl of Goulash look like anyway? Fucking food snobs are a joke.

Edited by papillon
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I'll take a wild stab at it, LOL.

Goulash and Egg Noodles.

Whatever it looks like, it could be delicious. What does a good bowl of Goulash look like anyway? Fucking food snobs are a joke.

Has nothing to do with "food snobs". I love to find good food at cheap places and if I do I usually rave about it. I know the same thing about Evil based on his reporting so if someone is trying to have a go at him, then this is just a very poor excuse.

The photo speaks for itself. There are a few things about goulash that is good to know but there are two rules one should never break -

1. first is that the meat has to be cut in small equal cubes, with the exception of the chicken of course, where you cut the chicken by piece but try to make them into equal parts. I fry the meat in olive oil first and use red wine.

2. always cut the onions the smallest possible pieces before you brown them along with bell peppers cut into small pieces. I do this separate, than add tomatoes and finally I mix it with the meat and have it cooked slow in a heavy casserole.

3. is to NEVER ever use ketchup or even canned tomatoes that tend to taste even a little bit like ketchup, use only fresh tomatoes. If you must, you may use canned tomatoes but beware of the quantity, balance it with onions and paprika.

4. I never use water for it tends to cut back the taste and make the sauce watery. If it needs water during the cooking process, I add wine but if you use previously frozen meat, than it has plenty of water inside. No water means thick sauce that tastes nice and rich.

Traditionally served with home made gnocchies but it is common to have it with parslied tomatoes, pasta or rice according to your taste.

I agree, goulash is not a pretty dish but that said here are a few pics fished from the net how it should look like:

5584873651_bcabe65581_z.jpg

2009-09-gulasch-pörkölt-paprikas-1.jpg

pörkölt-flickr2.jpg

And here's a pic of the one I made from pork in Kuwait just don't tell anyone:

DSCN5337.JPG

• Upvote 4

They all look very nice. We eat with our eyes. That said, they may taste like dog food for all I know and the Sailor Bar offering might be the best tasting of the lot despite how it looks.

I will use your recipe and try and make myself a Goulash. Thanks.

Good quality cheap food and beer. If the OP is used to first class service which reading from another thread he certainly is then he's clearly the wrong person to be reviewing dishes that start at 30 Baht for Fried Rice etc.....

The two meals I had at the Sailor Restaurant were NOT good quality food. The first meal was bad, the second was inedible. I can't say anything about the Thai as I didn't try it.

I certainly wasn't anticipating first-class service in a restaurant like the Sailor, but I did have expectations of decent meals. That's not what I got. I don't believe there's anyone who'd been served the plates of food I got would say it was good quality food.

Maybe as part of a challenge on "Master Chef" a cook could deliberately make a dish that looks horrible but tastes good. However, in an everyday restaurant setting, that's not likely to happen. Cooks that take pride in their food wouldn't serve a dish that looked like that.

The real point is, it wasn't goulash. It was stir-fry strips of tough beef in a tomato ketchup sauce. That's not goulash by any stretch of the imagination. At least in the homeless shelter in NYC, the cook used cubes of beef that had been stewed properly.

I know very there are some dishes which don't photograph well, simply because they aren't attractive to look at. But that plate of food looked bad because it was bad.

Evil

• Upvote 1

Am sure you're right Evil in your own Eyes

Fortunately 99% of the eating public disagree with you....

Fortunately to whom? What's the "eating public"? And furthermore, where did you get that 99% from?

There are just moments when it seems totally hopeless even to make a brief statement.

Am sure you're right Evil in your own Eyes

Fortunately 99% of the eating public disagree with you....

It just means that lots of folk go for price over quality. Nowt wrong with that - but there is a trade-off.

I may have to go there and ask where they got the noodles. I scoured Foodland for noodles yesterday and couldn't find any.

post-9139-0-30825400-1391178274.jpg

Can't you make your own Noodles? A new hobby for your retirement.

I'd rather buy them and concentrate on something else.
Guest King_Midas

Fortunately to whom? What's the "eating public"? And furthermore, where did you get that 99% from?

There are just moments when it seems totally hopeless even to make a brief statement.

You dislike the place fair enough. The packed Restauarant and Bar daily says the vast majority are happy there

You dislike the place fair enough. The packed Restauarant and Bar daily says the vast majority are happy there

My mate said it reminded him of prison food ... Obviously it suits some more than others. :ninja:

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had reason to revisit the Sailor Restaurant last week to try one dish in particular: the squid with "fat" noodles for 30 baht.

Here's what I got:

IMGP5201.jpg

It was a small portion, but one mouthful was enough to tell me I wouldn't eat another bite. The four pieces of squid were like chewing on a rubber band. The vegetables were wilted and soggy, as though they had been soaking in hot liquid for a long time then re-warmed in a wok. The whole portion was very oily and had an extremely salty taste. Clearly, it had been doused with nam pla (fish sauce) once too often.

By comparison, here's what I got at Pattaya Beer Garden for 150 baht:

IMG_7670.jpg

IMG_7671.jpg

The price was five times higher, but the portion was three or four times that at Sailor and tasted 10 times better.

And this was the plate of squid with fat noodles I got for 100 baht at J Daeng on 2nd Road:

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7694.jpg

The portion was a bit smaller than PBG, but J Daeng won by a narrow margin in the taste category.

If that plate of squid with wide noodles was an indication, the Thai food at Sailor isn't much better than the farang food.

Evil

• Upvote 1

How much would it cost at the 'Hole in the Wall' on Soi Bua Khao? 50 Baht? The last plate looks the best but that's no indication of what it tastes like. The PBG offering is just too expensive whatever it tastes like. Three Quid for a plate of mush in a Third World Shithole.

Pattaya is still fucked!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1