Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Best place to get American food in Bangkok

Why does most of the World population hate the USA :clueless

So much envy and jealousy on this planet. Better question to ask? Why do so many people want to live in America?

Edited by BigDUSA
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the USA is country of immigrants, its food is the result of input from many cuisines applied to "New World" ingredients. Over the years, popular dishes have changed so much from their original s

Some more dishes that can be considered American because the ingredients or style of preparation originated in what would become the U.S. Despite its Spanish name, chili con carne has little to do wit

Yup, it's one of the best desserts ever. Have you ever had it done the traditional way: not baked, but chilled, with the chemical reaction between the acidity of the limes and the sweetened condensed

Posted Images

So much envy and jealousy on this planet. Better question to ask? Why do so many people want to live in America?

Well a lot want to live in the UK too but I don't feel that makes it a good place...... more likely because they are also easy and inept with regard to dealing with illegals!

Why does most of the World population hate the USA :clueless

They don't , or they wouldn't copy so much of American culture. A huge percentage of the world world would snap your hand off for a green card. All this hate stuff is just a noisy minority that get all the attention. Take Brits, we love everyone so much we have let most cultures move here , and change it to their liking, and give them free everything and translate everything so they don't need to learn English. That doesn't come from a hate. Yet we are called racists every day on all media.

-------------------

That scrapple stuff sounds so bad, you would have thought us Scots made it! .................." The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving" :puke

They don't , or they wouldn't copy so much of American culture. A huge percentage of the world world would snap your hand off for a green card. All this hate stuff is just a noisy minority that get all the attention. Take Brits, we love everyone so much we have let most cultures move here , and change it to their liking, and give them free everything and translate everything so they don't need to learn English. That doesn't come from a hate. Yet we are called racists every day on all media.

-------------------

That scrapple stuff sounds so bad, you would have thought us Scots made it! .................." The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving"[/size] :puke

Yeah, that is similar to the US. But my observations have been (about Hispanics any way) that by the 3rd generation they have mostly assimilated into the general population/culture; so much so that the most conservative and fervent anti-illegal alien groups seem to be the 3rd generations who often question why anyone should get for free what their parents fought and sacrificed for.

Hmmmm ... semi-solid congealed loaf. That is almost as appetizing as Taco Bell refried beans dispensed by those toothpaste-like tubes.

• Upvote 1

As a born and raised Philadelphian. I love scrapple, cheese steaks and hoagies. BTW I have the body to prove it. :bhappy

• Upvote 1

As a Brit/Aussie and with family residing in America , I quite like the US and its citizens - what I dislike is the one-eyed American view . The way they assume that they are always right , that they save the world from mistakes , and the way they interfere with other nations internal affairs to the point of arrogance . So it is not hate for the USA but just a dislike of attitude .

Edited by ozibill

Almost sounds like an insult, similar to a Thai calling a foreigner a Farang even when they know his name.

Why is it that within the U.K. the Irish don't like the English, the Scots don't like the English, and the Welsh down right hate the English?

It has to be more than the food?

:smile:

Actually, the Amish are called the Pennsylvania Dutch (don't know if they use a similar term in other states) because the 'English' speakers could not understand 'Deutsch'. But even that would only be referring to them by the language they speak.

As a Brit/Aussie and with family residing in America , I quite like the US and its citizens - what I dislike is the one-eyed American view . The way they assume that they are always right , that they save the world from mistakes , and the way they interfere with other nations internal affairs to the point of arrogance . So it is not hate for the USA but just a dislike of attitude .

Nice to be painted with such a broad brush :D. I'll assume you're basically talking about the government. Hang out here (America) long enough and you'll find that 99.9% agree with you.

Edited by brotherbuzz

It looks like tinned cat food but could be quite tasty fried golden brown and served with a sweet chillie dip.

Wow, fried and served with a dipping sauce. Jamie Oliver has spoken.

Now that I think about it, the last thing I'd be looking for in Bangkok would be "American food." Think of all the good food in Bangkok. Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Malaysian, Vietnamese, etc. Some of the best food in the world. Take advantage of it.

It looks like tinned cat food but could be quite tasty fried golden brown and served with a sweet chillie dip.

My father, who went to his reward many years ago, was a grazer. One night, looking for something to snack on, he saw something that looked like sandwich spread or, for that matter sprapple, in a plastic container in the refrigerator and stuck a finger in to get a taste. The taste wasn't appealing and he voiced his dismay; at that point my mother checked to be sure and informed him he had just sampled cat food. :sh

Having a Thai wife, we have to have two refrigerators. There are a number of Thai condiments that I won't allow in my refrigerator. I have no idea how they can eat some of those vile smelling things.

Having a Thai wife, we have to have two refrigerators. There are a number of Thai condiments that I won't allow in my refrigerator. I have no idea how they can eat some of those vile smelling things.

Absolutely agreed....when I return from the UK I normally take all the crap, leftovers and condiments out of my 'beer fridge' and tell her bin or other fridge. Everything gets put in there like it could outlast the pyramids.

There are quite a few places in Bangkok for decent American-style food. At the high end, you have the New York Steakhouse at the JW Marriott on Suk Road, the Rib Room and Bar on the 31st floor of the Landmark Hotel and Prime at the Millennium Hilton. The Marriott Cafe in the JW Marriott also has breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets which are heavy on American main dishes, sides and sweets.

More moderately priced is the Avenue New York Grill on Suk Soi 16. Some pics from its Web site:

Steak Photo copy.jpg.opt427x266o0,0s427x266.jpg Burger 2.jpg.opt410x360o0,0s410x360.jpg Apple Pie 2.jpg.opt422x293o0,0s422x293.jpg

I've never eaten at the Roadhouse Barbecue in Silom not far from Patpong, but I've heard it's good for typically American fare. It has an extensive menu of U.S. favorites.

In the budget category, you have the V8 Diner on Suk Road near Soi 12. It's been awhile since I've eaten there, but it was good when I did, Some pics from its Web site:

V8_Plaza_1.jpg Burger - Double Beef.jpg

I don't know if it still offers the same deal, but it used to be if you ate in the diner, you got free entry to the attached nightclub, now called Insanity. A lot of freelancers hung out there, but again, I don't if that still holds.

And for a true American snack, try a corn dog from the Corn Dog Dude in K Village (an open-air mall) on Suk Soi 26 near the Davis Hotel.

CornDOg.JPG

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

I have visited the States many times and always enjoyed the food - unfortunately I was raised to clear my plate and I found that impossible there . Also some of the choices seemed a bit weird to me i.e. iced doughnuts for breakfast and jam/peanut butter sandwiches but ... to each his own , after all there are some pretty weird meals here in LOS i.e. crispy fried chicken feet

Edited by ozibill