Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Best place to get American food in Bangkok

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the USA is country of immigrants, its food is the result of input from many cuisines applied to "New World" ingredients. Over the years, popular dishes have changed so much from their original s

Some more dishes that can be considered American because the ingredients or style of preparation originated in what would become the U.S. Despite its Spanish name, chili con carne has little to do wit

Yup, it's one of the best desserts ever. Have you ever had it done the traditional way: not baked, but chilled, with the chemical reaction between the acidity of the limes and the sweetened condensed

Posted Images

Some great regional foods and background given there, EP. Oh I'd love to have a key lime pie now. Nectar of the gods.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh I'd love to have a key lime pie now. Nectar of the gods.

Yup, it's one of the best desserts ever. Have you ever had it done the traditional way: not baked, but chilled, with the chemical reaction between the acidity of the limes and the sweetened condensed milk-egg yolk mixture thickening the filling? Not easy to get these days because of the fear surrounding uncooked eggs.

Some more pics of Key lime pie and other U.S. desserts:

images (1).jpg key-lime-pie (1).jpg

Baked Alaska:

baked-alaska1_1.jpgbaked-alaska-su-1816275-l.jpgbaked alaska.jpg

Boston Cream Pie and Boston Cream Poke Cake:

boston-cream-pie-slice.jpgBoston-Cream-Poke-Cake.jpg

Various cream pies:

105662fd46d7994cad6850f5fffc-21792_314X234.jpg

2575625089_94afa6b6ed.jpg

BananaCream-Web.JPG

coconut-cream-pie-slice-500x444.jpg

• Upvote 4

Never had key lime pie but sweet potato pie is friggin' fantastic. For those who have never had it think of it as a really good pumpkin pie.

Edited by steamer

I must admit I was a little taken aback with the concept of having vegetable pie for desert when I first went over the pond..... but was pleasantly surprised by carrot cake and pumpkin pie! But I still hanker for some of those wing-deals I got when living up-state NY!

Baked Alaska ..... Oh Yeah! :thumbup Whoever first thought that one up deserves more recognition. So hard to find a restaurant that does it though, for obvious reasons. Asked the "missus" to make it (or at least get the cooking sister to do it) and was accused of being a lunatic ! :llaugh

Baked Alaska ..... Oh Yeah! :thumbup Whoever first thought that one up deserves more recognition. So hard to find a restaurant that does it though, for obvious reasons. Asked the "missus" to make it (or at least get the cooking sister to do it) and was accused of being a lunatic ! :llaugh

Charles Ranhofer first made Baked Alaska at Delmonico's Restaurant in New York in 1867 to celebrate the U.S. acquisition of Alaska. Ranhofer, a French chef who had immigrated to the U.S. at age 20, didn't invent the technique of baking ice cream insulated by cake on the bottom and meringue on the sides and top, but he refined and popularized it with his Baked Alaska.

It's actually an easy dish to make. Just be certain the ice cream and cake are frozen as hard as they can get, the meringue is stiff and the oven very hot so the meringue cooks and solidifies quickly. Baked Alaska shouldn't need more than three minutes in the oven.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 1

Well we have the deep fried maes bar ,

Joe

Joe

washed down with a can of Irn Bru ...

I'm truly sad for you..regional specialties that no one outside the UK, particularly Scotland, would even consider eating..haggis, deep fried Mars bars (doesn't Mars bar originate in the USA?), and Irn Bru.

And what's this obsession with canned beans?

Oh well, no accounting for taste.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Joe

The deep-fried Twinkie was also invented in the U.K. (the deep-fried version, not the Twinkie itself, which is a U.S. cream-filled sponge snack cake). The deep-fried Twinkie, however, was a minor hit on the U.S. carnival and fair circuit.

images (1).jpg

The Mars Bar was first made in the U.K. in 1932 or 1933 by Forrest Mars, an American and son of U.S. candy tycoon Frank Mars. It was identical to the Milky Way, introduced by Frank Mars in the U.S. in 1920. When he died in 1999, Forrest Mars was the 30th richest man in the U.S., according to Forbes. His two sons were in 29th and 30th place. Forrest Mars also invented M & Ms, which whould be appropriate as the official snack of FLB.

Deep-fried Mars Bars were a Scottish invention that dates back only as far as 1995.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

Deep-fried Mars Bars were a Scottish invention that dates back only as far as 1995.

They were, along with the deep-fried pizza, a well-kept state secret prior to 1995. Then some whistle blower got in on the act.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They were, along with the deep-fried pizza, a well-kept state secret prior to 1995. Then some whistle blower got in on the act.

Sorry, Tom, I accidentally gave you a -1 for that. Fat thumbs.

Sorry, Tom, I accidentally gave you a -1 for that. Fat thumbs.

Don't worry about it. Getting back to the tinned beans question - in my other life, a small can (200g) of baked beans was the perfect accompaniment to a Scotch mince pie or Scotch egg. However, if you were a bit strapped for cash, a couple of slices of thick toast, lashings of salted butter and a tin of Heinz beans would guarantee you access at 3 a.m. on a Sunday morning to any pussy north of Peterborough. A sophisticated man's alternative to chicken noodle soup. :thumbup

South of Peterborough, from what I can remember, you didn't have to bother with the wining and dining phase. :ninja:

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1

Don't worry about it. Getting back to the tinned beans question - in my other life, a small can (200g) of baked beans was the perfect accompaniment to a Scotch mince pie or Scotch egg. However, if you were a bit strapped for cash, a couple of slices of thick toast, lashings of salted butter and a tin of Heinz beans would guarantee you access at 3 a.m. on a Sunday morning to any pussy north of Peterborough. A sophisticated man's alternative to chicken noodle soup. :thumbup

South of Peterborough, from what I can remember, you didn't have to bother with the wining and dining phase. :ninja:

Where did the line start with salt on your porridge ?

Joe

I'm looking for a better Reuben sandwich, best I had in Bangers was at the Landmark, there must be a better one. With potato salad, and a pickle, like this

reuben.jpg

Note: This is not what they serve at the Landmark

Edited by RhinoTusk
  • Upvote 2

I'm looking for a better Reuben sandwich, best I had in Bangers was at the Landmark, there must be a better one. With potato salad, and a pickle, like this

Note: This is not what they serve at the Landmark

It looks disgusting , no wonder most americans are obese eating crap like that.....!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It looks disgusting , no wonder most americans are obese eating crap like that.....!

Reuben tastes way better then it looks. Same goes for a corned beef special.

Could be difficult. Reuben sandwiches are an American thing, but hardly a U.S. staple, so demand is probably rather limited. The ingredients, Russian rye bread, corned beef, saukerkraut, Swiss cheese and Russian or Thousand Island dressing, are pretty specialized. For many Reuben aficianados, a slice of kosher dill pickle is also a must.

Best chance of finding all this would be at a deli-style cafe attached to one of the big hotels with American clientele. I can't speak from personal experience because it's not one of the U.S. dishes I'd order abroad. But I remember eating lunch with a friend at La Brioche Deli at the Novotel Hoetl at Siam Square. It was a really big sandwich he thought was good.

Reuben tastes way better then it looks. Same goes for a corned beef special.

Some foods just don't photograph well.

Can a person buy Twinkies in Bangkok?

I doubt it. Twinkies went out of production in November due to the bankruptcy of Hostess Brands, but made a comeback in mid-July.

o-TWINKIES-COMEBACK-570.jpg

I looked for Twinkies in a couple of U.S. stores on July 15 and 16, but they had either been reserved for regular customers or had sold out. I had wanted to buy a couple of boxes for U.S. friends in Pattaya as a joke, but I had to return without any Twinkies. This whole episode has generated priceless free publicity for the owners of the new Hostess Brands. Smart move!

It's complicated, but the bankruptcy judge allowed the assets of Hostess Brands to be sold separately, rather than as one big package at auction. The recipes and brand names for Hostess products (Twinkies and cupcakes) were bought by an investment group, but the sale did not include the bakeries and other tangible assets. The original company, which dates back over 100 years, went through many name changes. It's now called Old HB and is still in liquidation. It made more products than Twinkies and at one time was one of the biggest producers of bread in the U.S. Twinkies were considered its most profitable product.

More background here. I always disliked Twinkies. Whenever I got them trick-or-treating as a kid on Halloween, I'd trade them with my sister for something else.

You can certainly rent them. :ninja:

Those would be twinks, not Twinkies.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

DSC03327.JPG

As opposed to bangers and mash

• Upvote 1

Could be difficult. Reuben sandwiches are an American thing, but hardly a U.S. staple, so demand is probably rather limited. The ingredients, Russian rye bread, corned beef, saukerkraut, Swiss cheese and Russian or Thousand Island dressing, are pretty specialized. For many Reuben aficianados, a slice of kosher dill pickle is also a must.

A truly American thing it is then.......

DSC03327.JPG

As opposed to bangers and mash

That isn't bangers and mash!