Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Best place to get American food in Bangkok

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the USA is country of immigrants, its food is the result of input from many cuisines applied to "New World" ingredients. Over the years, popular dishes have changed so much from their original s

Some more dishes that can be considered American because the ingredients or style of preparation originated in what would become the U.S. Despite its Spanish name, chili con carne has little to do wit

Yup, it's one of the best desserts ever. Have you ever had it done the traditional way: not baked, but chilled, with the chemical reaction between the acidity of the limes and the sweetened condensed

Posted Images

I was in BKK last week and had lunch at Bourbon Street. They moved a while ago from the Soi 22 area to Soi 63? (Ekamai). It's quite easy to get to...just take the Skytrain to Ekamai, then go down Ekamai a few hundred yards.

I was just up for a snack, so I had potato skins with cheese and bacon and a bowl of chili.

Unfortunately, the picture of the bowl of chili didn't turn out, but it looked like ... a bowl of chili. :P

20130813_122249.jpg

20130813_124133.jpg

MM, you forgot to say if the food was any good. Pictures are hard to taste.

With all the delicious food in Bangkok, why would anyone go looking for American food? And I'm not sure what that is anyway.

Interesting question what is American food. I guess Thai food would be ok for a while a bit of a novelty for the taste buds. But after a few weeks i could see how you would enjoy an American food fix. especially if you didn't like Thai food at all. Although American food does get a bad rap. I never used to see fat Asians 30 yrs ago[Excluding Sumo wrestlers] Now i see a lot of overweight Asians. It must be the spread of western fast food joints . :clueless When i think American food i picture hotdogs and hamburgers fries mcdonalds burger king burger wisconsin KFC twinkies etc. I must of been brainwashed by the media. Surely they have some food that is good for you. lol

download.jpg

http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2008/07/02/the-top-10-foods-only-america-could-have-invented/

If you've read this thread, especially the posts by Evil P, you wouldn't be wondering.

Here's a hint..look for the pretty pictures.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Sadly those 'skins' don't look so pretty. Although an occasional cheese fix is enjoyable.

I love the USA and Brit bashing - two mongrel nations trying to take a claim on purity of dishes,

In my youth, trained in french classical cookery ( as most British chefs are) and working as a head chef for .. lets say a while.

Some of my favorite food in the world is American New Orleans classics, apparently a lot of people who live over their turn there nose up at the red neck food!! feckin ingrates.!!

Some of my all time favorites.

Gumbo - that dish best cooked in an oil drum for 200 people with a black roux - never heard of it before studying american food at catering college - (white roux for milk based sauces - blonde for chicken/fish stock based, brown for beef stock base) but black roux only used in one place in the world and as far as I know only one dish.

Jambalaya best riced based dish ever for me - keep your stir fried rices

Dutch apple pie, German dogs, Chop suey a classic on many Chinese menus was invented in MM's home town of San Francisco -

America has some fantastic food

But I think the need for any nation like USA or UK to claim a dish as their very own invention is pretty funny ,

BBQ - even the marinade - was popular in Rome and recipes still exist for their sweet and sour BBQ marinades.

I've looked at some of EP's photo's and embarrassed to say only recognized 80% and only cooked 40%,

As for British food, we have LOST more dishes before America was created than they have now, we had pasta in 100AD before the roman's!! - but then again I believe it came from Ireland 5555

British food has been exotic in times of plenty and bland in times of sacrifice,

If us Brits think we invented the roast dinner -- erm .. that's right - no fecker on the planet would of thought of putting meat in an oven and sticking some veg with it before us 55555555

Didn't Marco Polo bring the potato from china ? can't have a Sunday roast without the Chinese roast spuds - Marco being a good British name and all 555

Sorry I'm drunk 555

Spanish brought the potato from the New World, I think.

Nice write up, shambley. Get some sleep!

Some of my favorite food in the world is American New Orleans classics,

I agree 150%

You cannot find a bad meal in the French Quarter of N'Orleans !

Edited by LocalYokul

Variety is the spice of life. That's why many guys are here and not married to Western feminists. Food is the same. Who wants to eat the same food every day.

Sadly those 'skins' don't look so pretty. Although an occasional cheese fix is enjoyable.

Good eye, jacko. They were short on potato itself, overcooked skins were tough. The chili was okay as I recall. A friend paid for the lunch for 3 of us, so don't know what the bill was. I got there late, and he had just finished a big meal and enjoyed it. I was looking for a snack myself.

Some of my favorite food in the world is American New Orleans classics, apparently a lot of people who live over their turn there nose up at the red neck food!! feckin ingrates.!!

Louisiana creole cooking, which is an adaptation of classical French cooking to New World ingredients, has always been highly regarded in the U.S. Cajun cuisine, a rustic adaptation of French provincial cooking, wasn't widely known outside of Louisiana until the 1970's because of the relative isolation of the Cajun people. Any initial resistance among plain vanilla Americans to Cajun cooking was based more on its spiciness and "weird ingredients" than class bias. Both the creole and cajun cuisines were made popular in the 1980s and 1990s by celebrity chefs like Paul Prudhomme and Emeril Lagasse.

Spanish brought the potato from the New World, I think.

Yup, potatoes were first cultivated in Peru at least 10,000 years ago.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

Some of my all time favorites.

Gumbo - that dish best cooked in an oil drum for 200 people with a black roux - never heard of it before studying american food at catering college - (white roux for milk based sauces - blonde for chicken/fish stock based, brown for beef stock base) but black roux only used in one place in the world and as far as I know only one dish.

Jambalaya best riced based dish ever for me - keep your stir fried rices

Goodbye Joe, he gotta go, me oh my oh

He gotta go-pole the pirogue down the bayou

His Yvonne the sweetest one, me oh my oh

Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

Thibodaux, fontaineaux the place is buzzin'

A kin-folk come to see Yvonne by the dozen

Dress in style the go hog wild, me oh my oh

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo

For tonight, I'm a-gonna see my, my Cher a mi-oh

Pick guitar, fill fruit far and be gay-oh

Settle down far from town get him a pirogue

And he'll catch all the fish in the bayou

Swap his mon to buy Yvonne what she need-oh

Read more: The Carpenters - Jambalaya (on The Bayou) Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Yup, potatoes were first cultivated in Peru at least 10,000 years ago.

Evil

Chili peppers also originated in the Americas.

Funny how the USA wants to be associated with the Americas when discussing the origins of many foods.

Most of the time they want to be 'The America'..... and at the time there was no such country as USA!

Funny how the USA wants to be associated with the Americas when discussing the origins of many foods.

Most of the time they want to be 'The America'..... and at the time there was no such country as USA!

Try to stay on topic without your "insights" into what the USA wants.

Outside of England it is.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

That would be do as I say not as I do?

Someone screwed up the movies thread!

Edited by jacko

Outside of England it is.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

That would be do as I say not as I do?

Someone screwed up the movies thread!

That would be make a response to someone else's reply, which I believe I was doing..not just jump in with some out of the blue complaint that was completely irrelevant.

I blame papillon for dropping the first match in the underlying, never dormant, criticism of all things AMERICAN.

Or would you prefer we call ourselves Usains (or how about "Bolts")?

jacko, on 24 Aug 2013 - 10:02, said:

"America" has been used as an abbreviation for the United States of America for many years, both in English and other languages. In terms of nationality, American has been used to refer to U.S. citizens since the earliest days of the republic.

It's not uncommon to use short forms for countries with long formal names. How many British subjects would answer "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" when asked from which country they come? The United Mexican States (Estados Unidos Mexicanos) is the official name of Mexico, but it's virtually never used. There are other such examples.

In context, there's no doubt or confusion about the use of "America" or "American." Sometimes America is used as a short form for the United States of America, other times America refers to a geographical area. The context makes it clear. When someone says potatoes and chiles originated in the Americas, it obviously not a reference to the U.S.A.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

I used to tell TGs I was from the United States. That consistently got a blank look so now it's American.

This thread reminded me i haven't tried Bourbon Street at the new location and I was at Gateway mall yesterday so I stopped for dinner. Seafood Gumbo (150++) was disappointing, had to spice it up with some Gumbo fire. Served with corn bread, a little dry, but the Hurricane (190++) was liberally spiked. For the main course, I ordered the Dutch Mussles with garlic bread and angel hair pasta (350++), which was very tasty, especially with a second Hurricane. Pecan Pie for dessert, the two large scoops of ice cream prevented me from ordering a third Hurricane.

WBA on the Telly, and they really need to upgrade the background music, KC & the Sunshine Band just doesn't do it. Check bin was 1331 baht, including tax and service, for soup, entree, dessert, and two well-oiled drinks. Not bad for Bangers, had I been in N'Orleans would not be impressed, but had I ordered a third Hurricane would have achieved nirvana.

• Upvote 2

Pecan Pie for dessert,

Pecan pie would be a reason in and of itself for me to take a trip to Bangkok. I haven't seen pecan pie anywhere in Pattaya.

Evil

• Upvote 1

Pecan Pie for dessert, 

Pecan pie would be a reason in and of itself for me to take a trip to Bangkok.  I haven't seen pecan pie anywhere in Pattaya.

Evil

Good news then. Beaver Bar in Ban Chang specializes in American style cooking. I have a friend pick me up a pecan pie whenever I get the urge for one of my favorite pies

I never used to see fat Asians 30 yrs ago[Excluding Sumo wrestlers] Now i see a lot of overweight Asians. It must be the spread of western fast food joints . :clueless When i think American food i picture hotdogs and hamburgers fries mcdonalds burger king burger wisconsin KFC twinkies etc. I must of been brainwashed by the media. Surely they have some food that is good for you. lol

The change in diet in Asia is more remarkable than that. Back in the day (74-75), there really wasn't such a thing as a tall TG. Plenty who were no more than 5 feet/1,52m. If you found one who was 5ft5in/1.65m, that was tall. Now you see 5ft9in/1.75m or even taller and born female. No expert, but I gather that indicates a lot more protein in the diet during childhood.