Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi, I just moved to Pattaya. I have purchased a condominium and a new car. I have about 3,000,000 Bhat in my account at Kasikorn. I have a retirement visa and a Visa card issued from Australia. However I would like to have a Thailand Visa card. Kasikorn wants me to purchase life insurance before issuing me a credit card and Citibank (I have had a investment account with Citibank in another Country for 10 years) requires me to wait 6 months after I open an account in Bangkok. I would appreciate any suggestions on Thai banks that are interested in issueing credit cards to foreigners. Thanks.

Understand but why credit card?

Ask k bank for example for a visa debit for your o line shopping or whatever and they will order one with your name on etc. Takes approx 3 weeks and have them set it up for online use.

Foot note

Even after you have answered all the questions they will give you a C Card however it will o ly be equal to your savings held in their bank max... not worth the hassle i my opi io ...

You will have to secure a deposit with the bank for the amount you wish to have on the card.

A debit card with a Visa or MasterCard logo will work just as well as a credit card. I have used mine for purchases at Big C and so on, and the bank even gives me bonus points for using it.

One word of real caution: Make sure it is linked to an account that does not have too much money in it. If there is fraud with your debit card the money will come straight out of your account. And Thai banks sure as hell are not going to be eager to reimburse you

That is why I have always had reservations about debit cards. But these days it is even difficult to get a bank card without the Visa or MC link.

Ask Kbank for example for a visa debit for your online shopping or whatever

and they will order one with your name on etc. Takes approx 3 weeks and have them set it up for online use.

Not sure what you are talking about ??

To make online shopping Kbank offer you a virtual card "K-Web card".

I received # and data the day after I asked for it.

Not sure what you are talking about ??

To make online shopping Kbank offer you a virtual card "K-Web card".

I received # and data the day after I asked for it.

I have a normal debit card from K Bank but with my name and details. The card you get over the counter only has member as your name. I then asked them to enable for online use or you can activate it yourself via an ATM. I thrn use it in the usual way no hassles, remember to have my thai address saved so i can copy it into the form when needed. Never had any issues with this method and can be used on foreign sites as well for airline tickets over the net for example...

I have a normal debit card from K Bank but with my name and details.

The card you get over the counter only has member as your name.

Yes I have the normal basic "no name" debit card, for ATM or shopping,

and a virtual card number to use with PayPal or on the Internet. Don't need more. :)

Why would someone want his name on his debit or credit card ?

To not have it is yet another step to secure your card & account.

I have an unsecured VISA and MasterCard from Kbank. It is a real credit card, does not deduct from my bank balance until I pay the monthly statement.

They are NOT easy to get. I had to provide stacks of documentation, including Thai tax returns, work permit, company papers, salary history.

I became obsessed with getting this feature, and it took about a year, due to constant requests for more information.

The goal was to have physical cards that I could use to pay for airline tickets, but the credit limit ended up being less than my ticket costs for biz class.

So, I continue to use my USA credit cards, and leave the Thai ones for gas and small purchases.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I have an unsecured VISA and MasterCard from Kbank. It is a real credit card, does not deduct from my bank balance until I pay the monthly statement.

They are NOT easy to get. I had to provide stacks of documentation, including Thai tax returns, work permit, company papers, salary history.

I became obsessed with getting this feature, and it took about a year, due to constant requests for more information.

The goal was to have physical cards that I could use to pay for airline tickets, but the credit limit ended up being less than my ticket costs for biz class.

So, I continue to use my USA credit cards, and leave the Thai ones for gas and small purchases.

I had to open a secured deposit account for 50K THB and as mentioned above bury the bank with photo copies of passport, account #'s and address info and lease. In the end it was held up as the bank noticed my retirement visa was coming up for renewal. Of course that wasn't told to me voluntarily. Took a bit of prodding to find out.

It definitely is doable but takes patience. We made either 7 or 8 trips to the bank to get it done. I've no idea how many phone calls we had to make other than that it was a lot.

Thanks for all of the input. Possibly this may amuse you. Kasikorn has a Visa branded Mercedes card. And the car I just bought is a Mercedes SLK... so needless to say I thought the bank would be delighted to issue me a credit card. I guess I can take some solace in that it is not just me LOL. I wonder if Thais have difficulty getting credit cards?

Thanks for all of the input. Possibly this may amuse you. Kasikorn has a Visa branded Mercedes card. And the car I just bought is a Mercedes SLK... so needless to say I thought the bank would be delighted to issue me a credit card. I guess I can take some solace in that it is not just me LOL. I wonder if Thais have difficulty getting credit cards?

From what I understand, Thais can get credit cards (with a good credit history or no credit history), quite easily. Their credit limit seems to be twice their monthly salary. I've signed many attestations of salary for Thais, and when I ask why, I'm told it's to get a loan or a credit card.

Bank of Asia issued me a credit card, based on the fact that my wages were paid into my account with them. They gave me a 100k Baht limit too.

My credit cards are with Bangkok Bank and they seemed very keen to issue them to me, I have a retirement extension.

As Bigmick says I did have to open a fixed term deposit which is to be kept the same as my credit limit.

My reasons for needing a CC were similar to what MM posted above, but my credit limit is sufficient to buy a Biz Class ticket to the UK (well if I don't fly SQ!) They take anything I owe out of my savings account automatically.

I like the way my mobile phone is used to guarantee and confirm internet purchases.

I didn't like the way Kasikorn were pressing you to purchase insurance, that is horespucky......someone is getting a commission!

They even sent me a free gift the first time I used it.... a rather good travelling backpack with wheels.

Edited by jacko

Thanks Jacko. I will go see Bangkok Bank. Is your account with the Bangkok office on 2nd road past Pattaya Klang ?

Yes, approximately at the 2nd rd end of soi 6..........

From what I hear Kasikorn is a very good bank, but I find Bangkok Bank okay.

I wouldn't doubt Kasikorn has a secured credit card available. If the money is removed at time of purchase, then it is simply a debit card.

If you have a steady income from abroad or even locally, I would recommend that route. Show the bank that your earnings are going to their bank and Wah-Lah !

The goal was to have physical cards that I could use to pay for airline tickets, ...

A lot of work for this ridiculous rule by US airlines asking to show the card you pay with...

Always wonder how it would work for me as I used to pay my tickets with the company card. ??

A lot of work for this ridiculous rule by US airlines asking to show the card you pay with...

Always wonder how it would work for me as I used to pay my tickets with the company card. ??

Never encountered it with a US airline.

I wouldn't doubt Kasikorn has a secured credit card available. If the money is removed at time of purchase, then it is simply a debit card.

I hope I didn't give that impression... for mine it gets taken when the account is due, not immediately, as per a debit card.

I even get an SMS warning me of impending deduction, and when I use it..

I agree it isn't much of a credit card if one has to maintain a balance equivalent to the limit, but it has its uses.

I have all my cards paid up automatically, an ancient fear of their past crimes with interest rates.

Edited by jacko

I hope I didn't give that impression... for mine it gets taken when the account is due, not immediately, as per a debit card.

I even get an SMS warning me of impending deduction, and when I use it..

I agree it isn't much of a credit card if one has to maintain a balance equivalent to the limit, but it has its uses.

I have all my cards paid up automatically, an ancient fear of their past crimes with interest rates.

You had to make a fixed term deposit to get this, right? So, it is still "secured"...sort of a grey area between debit and credit. The good news is you get all the dispute support of the credit card lost to anyone using a debit card.

As for payment at billing cycle, yep, that's sure like a credit card. Thanks for the clarification.

Like MM I too have an unsecured visa card with K-Bank, the paperwork was not over the top but defnately tedious, from time of application till the card arrved was 6 weeks.