Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hajime Robot Restaurant at Central Festival - UPDATED Sept. 28

My god , the gimmicks they come up with to bring in the punters , i must try it one night........ :D

Andy, Flo and I were the only farang in the restaurant that night, and it was pretty full. As we were leaving, a large group of Asians filled most of the "robot ringside" seats.

But it would be a huge hit with a TG.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 2

is it a good place to take a non thai girl then?????

Mrs capdagde enjoyed it and she's not Thai.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

That's the last restaurant on the LEFT walking towards Beach Road, Evil (I know 'cos I was there....!)

You Murcans!!! Drive on the right,, vote on the right, eat on right.

Andy

P.S. Will add my pics here when i get home (three home delivery power-sappers since that great protein intake 48 hours ago).

P.P.S. Q; How much do you tip a robot? A: Not too far....

Edited by capdagde

In non-linear, non-dialectical fashion, I'm going to start this review with the bottom line: Hajime is a great place to take a Thai girl for dinner, mostly because of its Wow! factor. The food is standard teppanyaki fare. It's not

There's soy sauce, Japanese mayonnaise and wasabe for dipping, with containers of soy sauce and rice vinegar that can be poured on the food that's cooking. It's strictly Japanese style, with none of the typical Thai dipping sauces or flavoring.

Teppanyaki cooking is about as simply as it gets. It's the freshness and quality of the ingredients that makes the meal. But entertainment has always been part of the teppanyaki experience and the Hajime robot sure doesn't fail in that respect.

It does look like fun, I'll try it next time when there. Although not a true fan of Marvin the Martian lookalike robots, I'm sure the kids will love it :smile:

A few more pics from another meal at Hajime.

3.jpg

The mascot:

2.JPG 81.JPG

The griddle while warming up:

1.JPG

The touch screen on which you place the orders:

I8.JPG

Prawn and vegetable tempura. The tempura is excellent at Hajime. The ingredients are of good quality and the batter is fluffy and crisp.

I3.JPG

We ordered the family beef set (six slices of wo kinds of beef, vegetables, four slices of duck breast, two rock lobster tails, two mussels) and it was enough for the three of us (two farang males, one Thai female).

7.JPG

9.JPG

And the star of the show:

5.JPG

Evil

• Upvote 2

Back in the office and you're getting me jealous Evil! That set looks good - how much per head compared to the feast we had?

Andy

P.S. Is the robot giving you the finger this time?

Edited by capdagde

Back in the office and you're getting me jealous Evil! That set looks good - how much per head compared to the feast we had?

Andy

P.S. Is the robot giving you the finger this time?

Sorry, Andy, I didn't see you reply until today. The cost was about the same, roughly 450 baht per head. And the robot was saluting me!

Some more pics (quite a few people are eager to try the robot restaurant and as I said, the girls love it and always ask to go back). This time round we had the seafood buffet, an order of sirloin beef, extra mushrooms, vegetable tempura and watermelon. Actually a bit much for two people.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Here you go, atlas:

IMG_0045a.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Evil

• Upvote 1

If I could just get the robot to help me up from the table. I'm waiting for the in home Star Trek food replicator. :bhappy

Phwoooaaaaarrrr (the food I mean.......). Using the "cook it all at once so it's goes cold" method????? That is a LOT of food. Yum!

Andy

P.S. The robot apparently has a retinal scanner and salutes those who tipped last time and makes steak tartar (aka Wagyu) out of those who didn't, using its quicker-than-the-eye slicing laser and the trap door under the impossible-to-escape-from table. "I expect you to die, Mr Cheap Charlie."

Edited by capdagde
  • 3 weeks later...

Hajime is divided into twp sections: one that features teppanyaki cooking on the table-top griddle, with ingredients and some prepared dishes ordered from an a la carte menu; and a much bigger section where ingredients are plucked from a conveyor belt to be cooked table shabu shabu style in a pot of boiling broth. The shabu shabu variation goes for a flat rate of 300 baht per person and includes a fairly extensive buffet: prepared dishes (tempura, noodles, soup), sushi, a salad bar, Asian desserts, fruit, etc.

After trying the teppanyaki variation several times and the novelty of the samurai robot server having worn off, the young lady with whom I often dine wanted to try the shabu shabu option. After a huge meal involving 25 trays plucked off the conveyor belt and healthy portions from the buffet, she said she liked the shabu shabu style better. I couldn't believe how much she ate for such a thin girl. It was double what I knocked back and I'm no slouch when it comes to the table.

Some pics:

IMGP4842.jpg

IMGP4847.jpg

Trays of many kinds of raw ingredients: seafood, pork, beef, chicken, vegetables, herbs, etc.

IMGP4843.jpg

IMGP4845.jpg

IMGP4846.jpg

IMGP4849.jpg

IMGP4844.jpg

The first round of trays (and there were several more rounds for us);

Image-Flat-14.jpg

Some of the food from the buffet:

IMGP4830.jpg

Cooking shabu-shabu style:

IMGP4832.jpg

IMGP4833.jpg

IMGP4835.jpg

IMGP4836.jpg

The first bowl of the finished product:

IMGP4841.jpg

IMGP4837.jpg

IMGP4839.jpg

I wasn't as enthusiastic about the shabu shabu meal as my companion. I didn't think the boiling in the hot pot brought out the flavor of the ingredients as well as the teppanyaki cooking had. Also, tempura doesn't really lend itself to buffet-style serving. It goes cold too fast. But at a total cost of 658 baht for two (300 each for the food and 29 baht each for unlimited non=alcoholic beverages, it was certainly value for money considering she dumped at least six trays of shrimp into the pot.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2

I tried a few days ago the tepprayaki menu... it was OK, the robot was fun for 5 seconds, but not something worth the 500 baht / person... We cooked many different meats ( pork, duck, beef ), seafood ( shrimps, scallops, squids ) veggies, mushrooms on the table but the taste was somehow general because of the lack of the variety of the dip sauces or any spices... ( they served mayo, soy sauce and seafood sauce ) The table became very soon charred, we had to change the table... ( they served oil, soy sauce and sake - gave some unique and good taste for the food - for cooking ) The rice bowl was empty for 30-40 minutes, so we used as garnish the ice cold chinese noodles... Only two kind of soda pops, coke and sprite... Not recommended for the older guys, you must be an acrobat to climb down to the table...

Evil nice review but was that sexy lady , starter, mains, or sweet, or afters ?

Just jealous LOL grrrrrr

She was the cook and kept things hot and quite spicy for me!

I tried a few days ago the tepprayaki menu... it was OK, the robot was fun for 5 seconds, but not something worth the 500 baht / person... We cooked many different meats ( pork, duck, beef ), seafood ( shrimps, scallops, squids ) veggies, mushrooms on the table but the taste was somehow general because of the lack of the variety of the dip sauces or any spices... ( they served mayo, soy sauce and seafood sauce ) The table became very soon charred, we had to change the table... ( they served oil, soy sauce and sake - gave some unique and good taste for the food - for cooking ) The rice bowl was empty for 30-40 minutes, so we used as garnish the ice cold chinese noodles... Only two kind of soda pops, coke and sprite... Not recommended for the older guys, you must be an acrobat to climb down to the table...

I've eaten at Hajime a number of times and the temperature of the griddle has always been controllable through a dial built into the table. You could adjust the temperature from very high to very low and vice versa. It's certainly possible the dial for one griddle might not work due to some fault, but there are two griddles at most tables. In the unlikely case both didn't work, it's just to ask for another table.

Here's a pic in which I've pointed to the position of the griddle control with a bolt of lightening:

HajimeA.jpg

Also, if you ask for spicy sauce and other condiments, the service staff is happy to bring them. If you want more rice or any other "side dish," you have to order it through the monitor on the table. A lot of first-time visitors to Hajime don't understand this or forget to push the confirm button when they place the order, so it never comes.

There are only two types of soda available (Coke and Sprite), but there are a half dozen other soft drinks (fruit juices, green tea, etc) on offer. The majority of Hajime's customers are Thais and other Asians and the menu caters to their preferences.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil