Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thai Baht losing against Western currencies

Thai Baht has been losing values due to outflow of capital. As of Aug. 30, 2013,

one USD was 32.14 Thai Baht

one Euro was 42,47 Thai Baht

one Pound was 49.83 Thai Baht

South Asian currencies are suffering, do you guys think this will cause a recession?

Is the job market in in Thailand being affected, are there layoff caused by this?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh please, not another 'Armchair Economist' thread. Not one of you saw the shit hitting the fan in 2007/2008.   Do yourselves a favour, stop trying to think you have any sort of understanding of wha

I think that was exactly the point he was making. Prices go up (to whatever the market will tolerate) for no justifiable reason other than the punter is getting more Baht for his GBP, USD, EUR, or wh

All the increased bar fines are just bullshit. If everybody just stopped paying them, they would come down. I know the bars need to make money but lets be fair about this.   Freelancers are going to

Thai Baht has been losing values due to outflow of capital. As of Aug. 30, 2013,

one USD was 32.14 Thai Baht

one Euro was 42,47 Thai Baht

one Pound was 49.83 Thai Baht

South Asian currencies are suffering, do you guys think this will cause a recession?

Is the job market in in Thailand being affected, are there layoff caused by this?

It's still in a trading range, no? As for the Thai economy? It should help their exports. Then again, who do they export to, mainly? All of the developing nations are hurting right now.

It is still in trading range but the slide has been non-stop lately, this will become a big problem if it continues, the Baht purchasing power is diminishing, that has to hurt the general public....Philippines and Indonesia have it worse

It is still in trading range but the slide has been non-stop lately, this will become a big problem if it continues, the Baht purchasing power is diminishing, that has to hurt the general public....Philippines and Indonesia have it worse

The public may be "harmed" via inflation, but the businesses may do well and hence hire more workers. Maybe it's a wash?

Don't forget, it wasn't that long ago when the baht was 38 to the dollar, and the world didn't end then.

I think it's more to do with parts of Europe and America slowly but surely recovering from the recession and bouncing back a little. I remember the days of 70+ baht to the pound, have seen it slip to 43 and recover to 50 recently.

Yeah, apparently these Asian countries are suffering as their growth has stalled or fallen to about 5%.

While in Europe they go whoop-de-doo over an improved, government manipulated +0.2%......

Oh please, not another 'Armchair Economist' thread. Not one of you saw the shit hitting the fan in 2007/2008.

Do yourselves a favour, stop trying to think you have any sort of understanding of what makes the World spin and try and enjoy yourselves with what's available right now.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

Nearly all of the Emerging Market currencies have been taking a hit. There seems to be 2 causes. First is the announcement that QE will be rolled back in the US soon. Just a "hint" that the easy money might start to dry up caused a good amount of "hot money" to flow out of the Emerging Markets. If (WHEN) the QE actually does begin to dry up is when the crap will hit the fan. The second cause is the efforts to control the rise of easy debt in China. Along with the QE efforts, this has been the other main driver of growth in the world for the past 5 years. It's been a double blow to the EM currencies but it is also the main force behind the drop in the currencies of countries that have benefited from the sale of natural resources like the Aussies.

These are all problems that people should be aware of but not the real issues that will tip the balance going forward. None... I repeat... NONE of the issues that caused our financial problems in the past have been resolved. They have only been "papered over" with sovereign (read: gov't) debt. The Japanese experience shows that this "treatment" can go on for a long time. But at the cost of real growth and future imbalances. IE: we're not out of the woods by a long shot.

Oh please, not another 'Armchair Economist' thread. Not one of you saw the shit hitting the fan in 2007/2008.

Why not? Bernanke and Greenspan didn't have a clue either. We're in good company.

Do yourselves a favour, stop trying to think you have any sort of understanding of what makes the World spin and try and enjoy yourselves with what's available right now.

I'm sure I saw the "shit hitting the fan" as early as 2005 or 2006. The housing bubble was more than obvious. Unfortunately, I didn't take my own advice. I didn't short any of the banking stocks back then. I just stayed away from them. I'll have to go back and see if I made any posts about financial stuff way back then.

This is an ongoing subject and will not go away as long as there are currencies, countries and banks. I am not really trying to understand what is the current shift in emerging currencies, I am trying to understand if all this will have effect on P4P. Does this current situation mean we will have more Thai honeys available...LOL

This is an ongoing subject and will not go away as long as there are currencies, countries and banks. I am not really trying to understand what is the current shift in emerging currencies, I am trying to understand if all this will have effect on P4P. Does this current situation mean we will have more Thai honeys available...LOL

The normal practice in Pattaya, when the exchange rates start to favour the visitor, is to raise prices; accompanied by the wail " Just think of the price you would pay in USA/Europe". :rolleyes: The reverse situation price reductions are rarely if ever seen! :shame:

Fatboy, I can't think of any case where prices are affected by the baht exchange rates, at least in the bar business.

All expenses are in baht, all income is in baht.

Which stronger currencies would this supposed increase be based on?

They all move in different ways.

The AUD was strong while the USD, GBP, and Euro were lagging.

Nah, that theory is pretty much unfounded.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Fatboy, I can't think of any case where prices are affected by the baht exchange rates, at least in the bar business.

I think that was exactly the point he was making. Prices go up (to whatever the market will tolerate) for no justifiable reason other than the punter is getting more Baht for his GBP, USD, EUR, or whatever.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The thai theory is, lossing money and if things are quite and not making the same money as before, put up the prices.

The normal way would be to discount and get 10 times more people in and sell more to make your profits that way

Just my thoughts.

My principal concern is the exchange rate - There is no way the £ will get stronger in the foreseeable future so the only hope of getting more baht for my pound is for the baht to weaken . With the cost of living getting higher here every day , more baht per £ means that my cost of living remains steady .

I think that was exactly the point he was making.  Prices go up (to whatever the market will tolerate) for no justifiable reason other than the punter is getting more Baht for his GBP, USD, EUR, or whatever.

During the recent years where currencies were weak against the baht, prices have gone up. Factors, all denominated in baht, have been higher rents, salaries, taxes on booze, capital expenditure for these new flashy places...lots of internal reasons that have nothing to do with exchange rates.

No, his point couldn't be further from mine, but thanks for chiming in.

I think that was exactly the point he was making. Prices go up (to whatever the market will tolerate) for no justifiable reason other than the punter is getting more Baht for his GBP, USD, EUR, or whatever.

So how do they price between these 3 examples?...........How do they know who bought their baht with what?

Edited by atlas2

All expenses are in baht, all income is in baht.

Which stronger currencies would this supposed increase be based on?

They all move in different ways.

The AUD was strong while the USD, GBP, and Euro were lagging.

Nah, that theory is pretty much unfounded.

I might be tempted to take that scenario back to 1997, when of course Thai baht plummeted to it's all time low..... I might say I noticed a few falang bar owners in Pattaya squeezing a few baht on a beer!

• Upvote 1