Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Songthaew Fares in Pattaya

I can't say you're wrong, but most of those stories involve farang driving motorcycles themselves. For the moto drivers, driving a bike isn't about impressing the ladies, it's a job.

Ask davethailand about his recent experience taking a motorbike taxi.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10 REASONS TO USE A BAHT BUS.   I have to admit to being a great supporter of the baht bus system. Over the last few years and literally hundreds of trips I can honestly say:   1. I have never bee

Have u seen the improved beach rd ??????.Why increase a baht bus fare for u, u hardly leave your mum in uk

Last thing the city needs is more baht buses on the roads.

Personally I use either my little motor bike or motor bike taxis. The pick up taxis are a real P.I.T.A. for me personally. Ive never ever seen a shortage of them either? Quite the opposite in fact. Jeez even walking they will stop and beep for your custom (even when Im walking in the opposite direction?). Crossing the roads too, they will stop and ask if you want a ride? I can see why some people love them....................as for me I can still walk distances, so no worries for me. Maybe when Im older and have mobility problems I may use them...but not for the moment!

When they stop and ask you if you want a ride, they will hit you up for private taxi fare when you get off.

You're correct that there's no shortage of them but that doesn't mean you'll be able to get one when you want it especially late night or going to and from Jomtien.

You're correct that there's no shortage of them but that doesn't mean you'll be able to get one when you want it especially late night or going to and from Jomtien.

The week after New Years, you will wait a while to get on one in the area of the Hannuman statue and that's with many going by full to the point of dragging rear bumpers.

I've always found that if you ask the motorcycle taxi pilot to go carefully or slowly they do so, and are much more inclined to please in the hope of regular trade than the Bahtbus drivers. However, I don't use them that often as I positvely hate riding on the "bitch seat" of a bike. :bhappy

10 REASONS TO USE A BAHT BUS. ...

Good stuff if you intend spending your entire holiday on the bahtbus route. I know lots of guys who do and they seem to enjoy themselves. However, the motosai taxi system is meant to complement the songthaew/bus networks (not replace them) by providing quick local transportation, normally "off-route". Lots of guys, and girls, find that really convenient.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

When they stop and ask you if you want a ride, they will hit you up for private taxi fare when you get off.

Its like I say "personally I don't use them........Id rather walk, use my bike or get a moto taxi. I don't use them because, I find them hot , stuffy, stop start, etc etc. I appreciate lots of people use them.......but I just don't like them! Further, I think there are way to many of them, they cause traffic jams too. I appreciate the traffic management is Pattaya is.....at the best abysmal........and for me? These pick ups make it worse. There will be one right behind the other, just crawling along Id be ALL FOR a "proper pick-up taxi system". But Ive been going to Thaioand for over 30 years and that will NEVER! happen!

Only time Ive ever in my life had trouble getting one to stop in 13 years of visiting was last year during that Music Festival they had on Beach Rd for the whole weekend. Everytime one drove by it was packed up balls deep, and the ones that were empty were looking for sucker ass Russians to do private hire. Took me almost 30 mins to finally find one that had room in it. I would have walked but I was going all the way from Central Festival up to the Dolphin Roundabout. Even the mototaxi driver wanted to try and charge like 150 baht just to drive up the road.

. Took me almost 30 mins to finally find one that had room in it. I would have walked but I was going all the way from Central Festival up to the Dolphin Roundabout. Even the mototaxi driver wanted to try and charge like 150 baht just to drive up the road.

Would have been quicker to walk but you weren't to know that you'd have to wait 30 mins for a bus.

Sorry but it wouldnt enter my head to use the bus back in the west, and it doesnt here

As an aside what is fundamentally wrong with the traffic management in the town is friggin songthaews - creepin about en masse blocking the mouths of sois et etc ( and those fuckers at Bhuakoa / Klang who park up and block the whole soi should be dragged out and neck shot)

T'aint difficult - a twist n go and an SUV at each property, job sorted - no reliance on any parasitic coin grubbing bastard

Sorry but it wouldnt enter my head to use the bus back in the west, and it doesnt here

As an aside what is fundamentally wrong with the traffic management in the town is friggin songthaews - creepin about en masse blocking the mouths of sois et etc ( and those fuckers at Bhuakoa / Klang who park up and block the whole soi should be dragged out and neck shot)

T'aint difficult - a twist n go and an SUV at each property,  job sorted - no reliance on any parasitic coin grubbing bastard

Agreed, and that is why the OP's idea of adding more is so patently clueless.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

- a twist n go and an SUV at each property, job sorted - no reliance on any parasitic coin grubbing bastard

:clueless Could you repeat your suggestion in English.

They do take every opportunity to rip people off who do not know, a couple of weeks ago we got off along 2nd road behind some guy who asked how much and the driver told him 100 baht which he handed to him, after that I told the guy it should be 10 baht, he told me he was new in town and to Thailand and since then he has been round and me and a few expats have put him on the right track.

Damn a 'merican

Tis in English stoopid (thats why its meaningless to you)

;)

I'll agree as to the meaningless part. If you're going to abbreviate, wouldn't it be a'merican (no space) for​ an American? :teeth:

Yesterday, I was on a baht bus with 3 other people when the driver stops for some couples from the subcontinent who appeared to be looking for transportation. Instead of getting on, one of the men goes to the driver's window and starts talking. No idea whether he was asking the fare, trying to hire an occupied baht bus as taxi or was trying to negotiate the tuk tuk fare. He left unhappy and his group did not get on. The driver actually waited longer than I would have for an exchange which wasn't going anyplace.

Dear God - that wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination constitute an abbreviation

Neither is 'merican.

ps

do you perchance drive a songthaew?

Plenty of time driving Toyota pickups, none of which was rigged as a songthaew.

Never drove a samlar either.

Edited by nkped

Do you think it would be easier to hail a Baht Bus in Pattaya if the fare was increased to Twenty Baht?

Quite a few times I've gone to climb onto a BB and the fucker has just put pedal to the metal and roared off. Makes you look a proper cunt.

I think I could even handle Thirty Baht for Farangs and Fifteen for Thais.

I think the Drivers deserve an increase, it's long overdue.

Are more Songthaews needed to cater for all the Russians that private hire them?

You give them 30 if you feel so bad 10 will do me

Yesterday, I was on a baht bus with 3 other people when the driver stops for some couples from the subcontinent who appeared to be looking for transportation. Instead of getting on, one of the men goes to the driver's window and starts talking. No idea whether he was asking the fare, trying to hire an occupied baht bus as taxi or was trying to negotiate the tuk tuk fare. He left unhappy and his group did not get on. The driver actually waited longer than I would have for an exchange which wasn't going anyplace.

Probably trying to get him to take the lot of them for 20 baht.

Cheap charlie cunts.

10 REASONS TO USE A BAHT BUS.

6. I have picked up girls on a baht bus but never on a MBT!

Yes, I have had many requests to come home with me, some real stunners, certainly better quality than the coconut bar.

Yes, I have had many requests to come home with me, some real stunners, certainly better quality than the coconut bar.

So have I (not necessarily stunners, but doable). Might be a good way to pick up a Sierra Tango -- and the barfine is only 10 baht!

• Upvote 1