Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Budget hotel and guesthouse

Sorry to do a quick hijack of the thread.

Actually in Feb this year I thought it was 30 days - I started counting the next day after arrival as 1st but no if you arrive 11PM at night, that day is counted as one. Anyway when we got to airport to come home (wife was travelling on Aussie passport - Thai passport has maiden name in it) we were stopped and pulled aside, I though oh shite!!! Tooks us to a desk put a stamp in our passport and off we went no fine or anything. Mind you don't know what the stamp means, anyone know?

The immigration officer probably gave you a break because your wife is Thai and she may have apologised to him for the mistake for the one day overstay and saved you 500 b , as for the stamp , that is an overstay stamp and if you get three of them within twelve months you can not enter the kingdom for 1 year .

Don't forget your only get stamped in for 29 nights....! if you stay longer you will be clobbered with 500 b fine per day and risk arrest........... :shame:

Thanks Nightrider, i will be getting a single entry 60 day tourist visa this time and extending for a further 30 days, only had Entry stamps before for 30 days but only used 28 days/4weeks to stay within the entry stamp, maybe this is why i had 28 in my head??? Its ok to book 12 weeks and put length of stay as 12 weeks on the tourist visa application form?

Thanks Nightrider, i will be getting a single entry 60 day tourist visa this time and extending for a further 30 days, only had Entry stamps before for 30 days but only used 28 days/4weeks to stay within the entry stamp, maybe this is why i had 28 in my head??? Its ok to book 12 weeks and put length of stay as 12 weeks on the tourist visa application form?

It would be better for you to put down 8 weeks to save any possible problems with the paperwork and then just extend as required nearer the time .

It would be better for you to put down 8 weeks to save any possible problems with the paperwork and then just extend as required nearer the time .

Wont they already know from my airline ticket that the ticket says 12 weeks? I want to stay within the rules for visas

Wont they already know from my airline ticket that the ticket says 12 weeks? I want to stay within the rules for visas

A lot of people use Bangkok as there stop off point and then travel in Thailand and other nearby countries such as Cambodia and vietnam . so the fact that you have a ticket for 12 weeks is insignificant and the immigration won't even blink an eye , if they do ask , you can tell them you are going to visit Cambodia for a few days and when you come back into Thailand you will get a new 30 day stamp anyway...... :thumbup

• 3 months later...

Rules may well have changed from my day but the first day of overstay is free then 500 baht a day up to 20k.

However you still have to go to the overstay department.

Note again old information may well have changed if they catch you with an expired visa even if your on your way to the airport technically they can arrest and deport you. This will be at your expense and can take a few days you will even be charged for the cost of the policemen to take you to the airport.

Having said that I have never been asked except at the airport for my documents.