Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Is 30B worth a motorbike taxi knifing?

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After coming to Pattaya for the better part of a decade and spending over a year total in town, I’ve always tried to be practical when thinking about what I’d do when faced with getting mugged, etc. Is a phone or a few baht really worth risking one’s life? Or at the very least dealing with a farang-hostile legal system that would likely require payoffs or worse. The frequent stories of locals ganging up on farangs when things get physical also really underscores the need to be realistic about when it makes sense to fight back versus stoically taking it so one can get on with the business of mongering.

So several years ago I made the conscious decision that, unless I really through my life was at risk, not to try fighting back. That also includes deciding ahead of time to generally never get involved, even if witnessing truly offensive acts.

That may sound fine on paper, but in the heat of the moment it’s tough to resist the gratifying temptation to watch the other guy on his hands and knees vainly trying to fish his busted teeth out of a pool of his own blood with two sets of broken fingers.

For example, last high season things didn’t escalate to that point, but in hindsight it was shocking how quickly a situation devolved and how stupid I acted over a few baht – exactly what I promised myself I’d never allow myself to do.

Around midnight one of my favorite girls in a soi LK Metro bar sent me a text asking me to BF her. I was at the entrance of Walking Street and so got a motorbike taxi. Even though the price is always 50B, as is my habit I first fished a 50B note out of my pocket and showed the driver, asking “Soi LK Metro – 50 baht ok?”

He nods an I hop on his bike where he proceeds to make record time getting to the soi, weaving in ‘n out of the light traffic clearly secure in his faith of Buddha protecting him, or at the very least unconcerned if Buddha chooses that moment to “call him home” and if a farang is along for the ride, well then all the better.

I climb off the bike and make to hand him the 50B note, and that’s where the drama starts.

“100 Baht!”

I first try to make light of the scam, laughing it off and saying “No, no, always 50 baht”.

“100 Baht!” he shouts louder with a no doubt colorful stream of obscenities, drawing the attention of the group of other motor bike taxi drivers nearby who start laughing and calling attention to the show to their colleagues.

I ignore them and try again. “I showed you 50 baht, and you said ok” I said firmly, again trying to hand him the money.

In response he just shakes his head. “You show me 50 baht, but I not say ok!”

Ah, checkmate. Well played, Thai man. Well played.

But then again, fuck you.

His satisfied smile beamed brighter than any of the neon signs on LK Metro when he saw me reach into my pocket again, only to burst into an even louder stream of insults and obscenities when he saw my hand emerge not with another 50B note, but just 20B.

I held the cash out to him, not saying anything or reacting while he continued to work himself into more and more of a frenzy. Meanwhile my lizard hindbrain was frantically, and futilely, trying to reach up and choke some sense into my frontal lobe. Was this aggravation really worth a few extra baht? Especially when I could have a one of my favorite girls snuggling in my lap instead of standing in the street arguing with an asshole?

Finally I had enough and made a show of putting the money back in my pocket and turning my back on him (again, in hindsight a really great way to get a rusty knife in the ribs) while also keeping an eye on the group of other motorbike taxis to see if any of them started to make a move towards me to help their fellow countryman play “kick the farang in the head”.

“Ok! Ok!” he shouts behind me, then snatches the bills from my hand as I held them out like feeding a chicken carcass to a crocodile. More insults and obscenities as he then guns his motorbike, hurling a final insult over his shoulder much to the delight of his audience of colleagues as he raced off. “You fat farang buffalo! Next time you walk!”

Luckily this story had a happy ending, with me shaking off the aggravating encounter and soon ending up balls-deep in one of my favorite girls.

But in hindsight the situation could have quickly gone sideways, especially if the guy was flying on a fresh yabba buzz, or especially if some of the other motorbike taxi drives came to his “defense” against the evil, exploitive farang.

So how stupid do you think I was for taking such a large risk over something so petty? And how would you have handled the situation?

I think the fact that I was caught so off guard because it was such a blatant scam on such routine situation was the main cause I reacted as emotionally as I did instead of being smart and using my head.

Have you encountered a situation in Patts that, in hindsight, you took a stupid risk instead of just parting with a few baht?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I generally find the Motorbike Taxi Guys to be reasonable people as so far as using their services goes. I think they provide a fantastic service and I think they charge a fair price.   If I use the

What have you done to them that they can't be trusted? Is that really your perception of the majority of local people? It's one thing to keep your wits about you, quite another to actively distrus

You didn't learn very much from your time mixing with some of the top natives. What did you hope to achieve by kicking a car? That's the sort of thing spoiled children do.   I think you've high

Posted Images

Remind his face and pay 1000 baht next day for a rival mototaxi gang to punish him..... :dbh  :sh

That would never happen.

I hope nobody believes that idea would even stand a chance if working.

Add to the OP, sometimes a blatant, unfair scam can catch you by surprise, as it did you, and would have me.

I don't think anyone can just "take it" without argument when such a thing happens, not without at least trying to reject the duplicitous lying cunt's claim.

Walking away without settling it face to face was extremely ill-advised however. That could have been a fatal move. It's all a matter of how far the other guy wants to take it. At some point, paying his demand is going to make sense when compared to the other outcomes.

Basically, you were robbed of 20 baht.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

That would never happen.

I hope nobody believes that idea would even stand a chance if working.

See the tongue in cheek.... smileys....

After coming to Pattaya for the better part of a decade and spending over a year total in town, I’ve always tried to be practical when thinking about what I’d do when faced with getting mugged, etc. Is a phone or a few baht really worth risking one’s life? Or at the very least dealing with a farang-hostile legal system that would likely require payoffs or worse. The frequent stories of locals ganging up on farangs when things get physical also really underscores the need to be realistic about when it makes sense to fight back versus stoically taking it so one can get on with the business of mongering.

So several years ago I made the conscious decision that, unless I really through my life was at risk, not to try fighting back. That also includes deciding ahead of time to generally never get involved, even if witnessing truly offensive acts.

That may sound fine on paper, but in the heat of the moment it’s tough to resist the gratifying temptation to watch the other guy on his hands and knees vainly trying to fish his busted teeth out of a pool of his own blood with two sets of broken fingers.

For example, last high season things didn’t escalate to that point, but in hindsight it was shocking how quickly a situation devolved and how stupid I acted over a few baht – exactly what I promised myself I’d never allow myself to do.

Around midnight one of my favorite girls in a soi LK Metro bar sent me a text asking me to BF her. I was at the entrance of Walking Street and so got a motorbike taxi. Even though the price is always 50B, as is my habit I first fished a 50B note out of my pocket and showed the driver, asking “Soi LK Metro – 50 baht ok?”

He nods an I hop on his bike where he proceeds to make record time getting to the soi, weaving in ‘n out of the light traffic clearly secure in his faith of Buddha protecting him, or at the very least unconcerned if Buddha chooses that moment to “call him home” and if a farang is along for the ride, well then all the better.

I climb off the bike and make to hand him the 50B note, and that’s where the drama starts.

“100 Baht!”

I first try to make light of the scam, laughing it off and saying “No, no, always 50 baht”.

“100 Baht!” he shouts louder with a no doubt colorful stream of obscenities, drawing the attention of the group of other motor bike taxi drivers nearby who start laughing and calling attention to the show to their colleagues.

I ignore them and try again. “I showed you 50 baht, and you said ok” I said firmly, again trying to hand him the money.

In response he just shakes his head. “You show me 50 baht, but I not say ok!”

Ah, checkmate. Well played, Thai man. Well played.

But then again, fuck you.

His satisfied smile beamed brighter than any of the neon signs on LK Metro when he saw me reach into my pocket again, only to burst into an even louder stream of insults and obscenities when he saw my hand emerge not with another 50B note, but just 20B.

I held the cash out to him, not saying anything or reacting while he continued to work himself into more and more of a frenzy. Meanwhile my lizard hindbrain was frantically, and futilely, trying to reach up and choke some sense into my frontal lobe. Was this aggravation really worth a few extra baht? Especially when I could have a one of my favorite girls snuggling in my lap instead of standing in the street arguing with an asshole?

Finally I had enough and made a show of putting the money back in my pocket and turning my back on him (again, in hindsight a really great way to get a rusty knife in the ribs) while also keeping an eye on the group of other motorbike taxis to see if any of them started to make a move towards me to help their fellow countryman play “kick the farang in the head”.

“Ok! Ok!” he shouts behind me, then snatches the bills from my hand as I held them out like feeding a chicken carcass to a crocodile. More insults and obscenities as he then guns his motorbike, hurling a final insult over his shoulder much to the delight of his audience of colleagues as he raced off. “You fat farang buffalo! Next time you walk!”

Luckily this story had a happy ending, with me shaking off the aggravating encounter and soon ending up balls-deep in one of my favorite girls.

But in hindsight the situation could have quickly gone sideways, especially if the guy was flying on a fresh yabba buzz, or especially if some of the other motorbike taxi drives came to his “defense” against the evil, exploitive farang.

So how stupid do you think I was for taking such a large risk over something so petty? And how would you have handled the situation?

I think the fact that I was caught so off guard because it was such a blatant scam on such routine situation was the main cause I reacted as emotionally as I did instead of being smart and using my head.

Have you encountered a situation in Patts that, in hindsight, you took a stupid risk instead of just parting with a few baht?

I'm not sure that it was an out and out scam. You say that it is "always 50 Baht", but it was "around midnight". I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect some sort of price hike after midnight for private hires.

What makes my OP all the more stupid in hindsight is that several times both before and after the incident I’ve had motorbike taxis drop off girls at my condo and charge me obviously inflated prices. In those cases I’ve tried to press back a bit, though in a light-hearted way “What? Did you drive her from Bangkok?”

But I think I’ve only won a concession 1 time out of half a dozen or so encounters. And there was one time when I started my pushback and my girl just rolled her eyes and dug the cash out of her own purse before taking me firmly by the arm and marching me up to my condo. I could practically hear her thinking:

“Silly farang! You about to pay me over 10x and you want stand here boxing boxing taxi instead? Now come loom and boom boom all my holes most nasty, kinky ways you can! Maak Maak!!” :dbh

There I am, just moments away from living out my wildest fantasies laying hot pipe in an exotic, breathtakingly beautiful girl – and instead I’m choosing to waste my time arguing over a few baht with a sweaty, smelly taxi driver that's just sitting there, grinning at me, knowing my dick wouldn't let me win? It’s amazing how distressingly stupid I can be regarding my priorities sometimes… :cry2

Edited by SmellyFarang
  • Upvote 3

See the tongue in cheek.... smileys....

None were tongue in cheek smileys...maybe in Hungarian imagery :dbh :sh

Anyway, I don't decode smileys, nor should I have to. Your suggestion was unworkable. Nuff said.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've never had much of a problem anywhere. One time, the guy in Starbucks didn't give me back my change from 100 baht. I complained and the manager went to look at the video. I got my money back, and I proceeded to leave it as a tip. I didn't really care about the money, I just didn't like the idea of being scammed.

And once or twice, I've been to a bar where I suspect they added an extra drink charge to my bin. I'm usually not sure, though, as I've probably had a few beers by then. Anyway, I make a mental note of it and might well avoid the place the next time.

• Upvote 1

I generally find the Motorbike Taxi Guys to be reasonable people as so far as using their services goes. I think they provide a fantastic service and I think they charge a fair price.

If I use them on a route that I have travelled many times before, I never ask them "How Much?" when I get on. I get to my destination and if I know the fare is usually 60 I give them 70 or 80 depending on what notes/coins I have on me. I always get a nod of the head and a Kop Khun Krap. If they were a nightmare, they just get the fare and no tip. I just hand it to them and walk away.

If you start asking them before or after the ride, they might try and tap you up for a bit extra.

If I'm doing a route that is unknown to me I always ask how much first and make sure to repeat back to him what he tells me. Then it's like 40 Baht. ok 40 Baht. I will give 50 or 60 as long as the ride went smoothly.

On my last few trips I would usually end up at Drinking Street in North Pattaya and would be fairly sloshed by the time I went 'Home.' The main Guy on the Rank would always take me home and he would always get 100 for the 50 fare (150 if I had a Girl with me, 3 up on the same bike). He was a really nice guy and made sure I got home safely when I was pissed up. Brought me a big bag of fresh fruit and a couple of bottles of SML when I was in intensive care at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, LOL.

With regards to 'over reacting' when getting ripped off in Patts...... Has happened to me a few times. Yes it's only small money but it's 'the Principle' too. Thais have their 'Face' we Falangs have our 'Pride.' Same same, not different. I will always argue it until it gets to the point where it all goes quiet (next step boxing boxing) and then usually I will reluctantly pay up and tell myself I did the 'right thing' under the circumstances (Foreigner in a far flung land with no real Friends to help out when it goes wrong).

It really fucks up my night though. I am seething for the next hour or so thinking 'I wish this had happened on my turf.'

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Yes we get these things.... but every now and again there is a press report making a fuss over an honest taxi driver returning a wallet and passport left in his cab by a tourist.

The Thais you will interact with in Pattaya are mostly not to be trusted.

M/C... I usually use 2 when I go out, the first I always confirm the price, and usually it is 50 rounded up to 60.

The latter, I rarely ask and he always seems happy with the 100 I drunkenly pass over for the ride Tai-Klang.

Dangerous to get into an argument with one of these twats while his friends are around.....has anyone ever taken a rider's jacket details and made a complaint?

Edited by jacko

The guy could have been drunk or blazed on drugs. Potential danger.

If your a regular in town why not get a few phone numbers from your favorite drivers/riders and ping them when ya need a lift?

Edited by Dungheap

I have argued on principle over trivial amounts in the past, but now I realize that it isn't worth it. Better to just pay it and lose 20 baht most of the time.

Edited by baht_miser

No one likes to be ripped off, for 5 baht, 50 baht , 500 baht etc.Its a principle thing. But no amount of money is worth risking being seriously injured , or worse .Especially when you have control over the outcome.

You did exactly the right thing- you can tell because you walked away unscathed. That's what counts.

As Dungheap noted- you dont know his state of mind, tanked up or boosted on drugs- who knows?

As far as some kind of petty revenge goes you can relax in the knowledge that Karma will get him sooner or later.Dishonesty does not go unpunished eventually.

The Thais you will interact with in Pattaya are mostly not to be trusted.

What have you done to them that they can't be trusted? Is that really your perception of the majority of local people? It's one thing to keep your wits about you, quite another to actively distrust most folk. :clueless The only two people who have tried to rip me off for significant amounts of cash in Thailand were a Welsh guy and an American - I always keep that at the back of my mind.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The only two people who have tried to rip me off for significant amounts of cash in Thailand were a Welsh guy and an American - I always keep that at the back of my mind.

You didn't "ring the bell" in Cheers bar; Did You ? :bhappy :o

It's never the money as one doesn't want to get knifed over any amount but the line must be drawn somewhere. I've had a similar situation recently where the taxi driver charged me 300 rather than the 200 including tip I figure he deserved. I looked around and saw more unfriendly faces than friendly ones so and I was in a hurry to catch a bus I just paid up. If the situation happened again I might argue with him as I find that a tourist that knows a fair price is not worth fighting with.

I am sure that we all know the logic of times like this but life is never so easy. I know that when the "Red Mist" descends and you are out of control that logic and common sense goes out the window. I somehow think that there is some basic instinct coming into play here. Almost anyone is capable of losing it when a combination of loss of pride, unfairness, all fuelled by booze kicks in. I think that all over the world at this minute people are losing it purely on principal and logic has no part of it.

I am not going to be pushed around by these weasels...... nor do I want to live in fear of these guys!

But I avoid a scene by ensuring he understands.

Perhaps like BigD, I like to discuss price and performance beforehand to avoid any..... well I think we all know it off pat by now.

Edited by jacko

What have you done to them that they can't be trusted? Is that really your perception of the majority of local people? It's one thing to keep your wits about you, quite another to actively distrust most folk. :clueless

It's the perception of people in touristy areas. I don't trust my own countrymen when I'm out at the beach or other tourist oriented locations.

It's the perception of people in touristy areas. I don't trust my own countrymen when I'm out at the beach or other tourist oriented locations.

I live in a "touristy area" and it isn't my perception.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1

Well, that's because you guys live there. I never really spent more than 3 or 4 days in Pattaya at one time and lived in non-tourist areas most of my time in the LOS.

Edited by LocalYokul

Well, that's because you guys live there. I never really spent more than 3 or 4 days in Pattaya at one time and lived in non-tourist areas most of my time in the LOS.

Has nothing to do with living here (in a tourist area) or not. It has to do with whether you can generalize about a whole population negatively without much basis. Makes you feel better and you can boast about it, but the reality is, Thais are good and bad.

You're always going on about Thais implying that they are inferior to you. Granted, they may be inferior to many westerners, but certainly not to you in particular.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Your perception of me is aggressively skewed.

I've worked with some top natives in Thailand, but even some of them hold the view that Pattaya dwellers are out to turn a quick buck, even at the tourist's expense.

I didn't generalize about an entire population. You're trying to put words in my mouth.

• Upvote 2