Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Is 30B worth a motorbike taxi knifing?

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Closest I ever came was fighting with a taxi driver when I was tired and returning to Nonthaburi from Chiang Mai. He was jerking me around and kept driving past the entrance to where I was staying. I finally started yelling at him to stop the f'in car and I got out. Before I could even get my wallet out he was raving at me. I kicked the front fender and then he came out with a board with a nail in it and started to chase me. I got a free ride, but was looking over my shoulder in the morning.

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I generally find the Motorbike Taxi Guys to be reasonable people as so far as using their services goes. I think they provide a fantastic service and I think they charge a fair price.   If I use the

What have you done to them that they can't be trusted? Is that really your perception of the majority of local people? It's one thing to keep your wits about you, quite another to actively distrus

You didn't learn very much from your time mixing with some of the top natives. What did you hope to achieve by kicking a car? That's the sort of thing spoiled children do.   I think you've high

Posted Images

Closest I ever came was fighting with a taxi driver when I was tired and returning to Nonthaburi from Chiang Mai. He was jerking me around and kept driving past the entrance to where I was staying. I finally started yelling at him to stop the f'in car and I got out. Before I could even get my wallet out he was raving at me. I kicked the front fender and then he came out with a board with a nail in it and started to chase me. I got a free ride, but was looking over my shoulder in the morning.

You didn't learn very much from your time mixing with some of the top natives. What did you hope to achieve by kicking a car? That's the sort of thing spoiled children do. :clueless

I think you've highlighted the real difference between yourself and others. :thumbup

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You didn't learn very much from your time mixing with some of the top natives.

Actually quite a lot more than the expats who never learn to speak Thai.

What did you hope to achieve by kicking a car? That's the sort of thing spoiled children do. :clueless

Or someone who is at his wit's end because he just wants to get some sleep, and not get screwed around with AGAIN!

I think you've highlighted the real difference between yourself and others. :thumbup

Yeah, no one else on Earth ever vents when they're tired and being horsed around with by a greedy taxi driver.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't think I thought it would achieve anything. I was just lashing out at his hurling obcensities at me for demanding he stop the car and let me out.

It wasn't like I was bragging about it, just something that happened in the heat of the moment.

I'm sure you've lost your temper before as well, but you probably won't be open enough to share it with the rest of us.

I don't think I thought it would achieve anything. I was just lashing out at his hurling obcensities at me for demanding he stop the car and let me out.

It wasn't like I was bragging about it, just something that happened in the heat of the moment.

You said that his obscenities were in response to you shouting and swearing at him. As I said, you don't seem to have learned very much.

I'm sure you've lost your temper before as well, but you probably won't be open enough to share it with the rest of us.

Sure, I've lost my temper. However, I don't then go around kicking cars, punching walls or head-butting lampposts. The most likely outcome is obvious to most.

FWIW, I've had the odd taxi-driver who couldn't fathom out where I wanted to go - but I've never felt compelled to shout and swear at the guy or kick his car. That is the difference between us, not the situation, but the response.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You said that his obscenities were in response to you shouting and swearing at him.

You're putting words in my mouth. I said that I yelled at him to stop, he's the one who started with the raving and cursing.

FWIW, I've had the odd taxi-driver who couldn't fathom out where I wanted to go

We're talking about something that happened over 8 years ago. I'm still sure that he knew where i wanted to go and was just jerking me around.

That is the difference between us, not the situation, but the response.

It was quite a while ago, and given the same situation today, I think I would react differently. Don't go pretending like you're better than me.

That's already been done enough on this thread.

Edited by LocalYokul
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Granted, they may be inferior to many westerners, but certainly not to you in particular.

So, you're essentially admitting your own prejudice and then pretending to be better than me all in one sentence, that's RICH!

You're putting words in my mouth. I said that I yelled at him to stop, he's the one who started with the raving and cursing.

No you didn't. You said, " I finally started yelling at him to stop the f'in car". As they say, compare and contrast.

We're talking about something that happened over 8 years ago. I'm still sure that he knew where i wanted to go and was just jerking me around.It was quite a while ago, and given the same situation today, I think I would react differently.

No, you started yelling at the guy and kicking his car based on your, possibly flawed, assumption.

Don't go pretending like you're better than me.

That's already been done enough on this thread.

I don't think I'm better than you - you speak the lingo better than me for starters. However, you are different from me. For example, I subscribe to the theory that it's counter-productive to yell at a Thai. If you're lucky, they'll just totally blank you ... if not, that's when your problems start.

Edited by CheshireTom

"I subscribe to the theory that it's counter-productive to yell at a Thai"

I know this as well, but as I described I was tired and fed up.

I didn't actually say "f'in" car to the taxi driver, it was just an expletive description to show that I was angry at the time.

So, you're essentially admitting your own prejudice and then pretending to be better than me all in one sentence, that's RICH!

What prejudice is that? Against redneck, trailer trash, uncouth loudmouths? Guilty.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't even know anyone who resides in a mobile home, and keep plenty of distance from any rednecks.

Uncouth would be exploiting the nationals that you're subconciously prejudice of.

I don't even know anyone who resides in a mobile home, and keep plenty of distance from any rednecks.

Uncouth would be exploiting the nationals that you're subconciously prejudice of.

I've had my say, you've had yours...let's stay on topic now. I don't want to dilute SmellyFarang's topic any more.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, I posted my brush with a beating which admittedly wasn't smart or even conducive to getting me to my destination any quicker, much to the criticism of others. After maturing a little more and seeing the stories of people being murdered in fights with taxi drivers, I would hope my response in the future will be a calm and level-headed one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Or someone who is at his wit's end because he just wants to get some sleep, and not get screwed around with AGAIN!

Quite right, John Cleese made it look quite funny and it is far better to kick an inanimate object than try to do the same with it's driver. :D

Thailand is certainly not a place to be out and about looking for trouble or an argument, for some apparently, that is done at a keyboard or mobile phone.

Your views seem similar to mine and I feel 'better safe than sorry'....

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure that it was an out and out scam. You say that it is "always 50 Baht", but it was "around midnight". I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect some sort of price hike after midnight for private hires.

Are they doing non-private motobike hires now?

• Upvote 2

CheshireTom, on 27 Sept 2013 - 04:26, said:snapback.png

I'm not sure that it was an out and out scam. You say that it is "always 50 Baht", but it was "around midnight". I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect some sort of price hike after midnight for private hires.

I don't begrudge guys asking a bit more like a baht bus wanting 20B at 4am or asking a motorbike to take me to some remote area in the early morning hours.

But my OP is talking about between to major areas, WS & Soi LK Metro, around midnight - which most people would consider to be "prime time business hours" for those areas.

But the above doesn't even apply to my OP because the simple fact is the guy agreed to a price before I got on his bike then tried to charge me double when we arrived. That's 100% out and out scam no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig.

Edited by SmellyFarang
  • Upvote 1

Now that I'm a tourist I let things slide much easier, since I know it'll just be this one time or a couple of times, not so often as when I was an expat. By this I mean muti-tier pricing based on nationality, etc.

Living in Thailand for so long did tone down my apathy for humans. When I was in the LOS I was like many expats, blaming human nature on the Thais.

Once I got back to the West I realized it's everyone's human nature, not just Thais. I see people getting wrenched outta joint now and think what a waste of energy and stress.

I got in a taxi in N'Orleans and stated my destination and the guy drove me a couple of blocks and charged me $10. Big deal, I figure I paid $10 for 5 minutes of aircon.

Some people might remember the old me, but I'm a much more likeable cunt now that I've graduated from the LOS. What I'm saying is, I did learn something during all that time.

• Upvote 2

Nonthaburi from Chiang Mai have to ask , is there a Chiang Mai in Bangkok

I flew into Don Meuang and then took a cheating taxi to Nonthaburi. I don't understand the confusion...

Ok, now I see how you could have thought I took a taxi all the way from Chiang Mai to Nonthaburi from the text.

"returning to Nonthaburi from Chiang Mai"

I drove myself usually. So to me, taking a taxi was unusual, and mostly done for going to/from the airport.

I might add it was in the middle of the night, about 3:30am.

It sounds like you could have handled it better mate but the outcome could have been a lot worse. Incidentally, right from my first trip I was told that 40baht is the mototaxi fare from Walking to LK Metro/Diana and its what I have always paid

I don't even take motosai taxis in Pattaya considering how easy it is to get around on the Song Taaw (Baht Bus).

I don't even take motosai taxis in Pattaya considering how easy it is to get around on the Song Taaw (Baht Bus).

Not many go up soi Diana though..... and sometimes full of beer one is against walking and in a hurry!