Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 244 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Is 30B worth a motorbike taxi knifing?

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't mind walking. I used to park on 3rd road and walk down to TQ on Beach road, then stop at various other places on Diana & bedding down at Lek hotel or on LK if Lek was full.

Oh, if it was already dark I'd visit Buffalo Bar first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I generally find the Motorbike Taxi Guys to be reasonable people as so far as using their services goes. I think they provide a fantastic service and I think they charge a fair price.   If I use the

What have you done to them that they can't be trusted? Is that really your perception of the majority of local people? It's one thing to keep your wits about you, quite another to actively distrus

You didn't learn very much from your time mixing with some of the top natives. What did you hope to achieve by kicking a car? That's the sort of thing spoiled children do.   I think you've high

Posted Images

Interesting results compared to my same post on several Pattaya boards vs a major AC board.

On all the Pattaya boards, a much higher percentage of BMs voted to avoid the confrontation and just pay the guy the 100 he demanded.

But on the AC board the strong majority voted to only pay the original or compromise amount.

Why do you think there's such a difference in the responses? Is it an indication of the threat of violence being that much greater in Thailand than the Philippines?

I posted on the 'Russian' thread how I felt crowded by three Indians at an exchange booth. I was changing 1000 US (35.000 baht at the time) and the exchange girl was holding onto the funds while the whole thing was happening. Was I protecting my money or my personal space? is 35,000 worth getting beaten?

Why do you think there's such a difference in the responses? Is it an indication of the threat of violence being that much greater in Thailand than the Philippines?

Actually, I think the Catholic PI locals are more hotheaded and ready for violence than Thais.

Could it be the police actually do their jobs in the PI? I doubt it, but that's only because I didn't see any last time I was there.

Actually, I think the Catholic PI locals are more hotheaded and ready for violence than Thais.

Could it be the police actually do their jobs in the PI? I doubt it, but that's only because I didn't see any last time I was there.

That's the odd part - both from my experiences there and reading other people's experiences on the AC boards, AC is every bit as hostile to foreigners when it comes to physical altercations with the locals because "you rich foreigner and he have family to feed".

If anything my impression is that the police AC (and the rest of the PI) are even more corrupt and seize opportunities to demand payoffs. Including entrepreneurial off-duty exploits of UA scams, etc.

The general assumption in AC seems to be that "rich foreigner always pays" regardless of almost the most extreme circumstances (such as breaking a guy's face that tried to rob you), especially if the police get involved.

Interesting results compared to my same post on several Pattaya boards vs a major AC board.

On all the Pattaya boards, a much higher percentage of BMs voted to avoid the confrontation and just pay the guy the 100 he demanded.

But on the AC board the strong majority voted to only pay the original or compromise amount.

Just a general, biased observation. Guys on some of the PI boards seem very good at talking the talk. Whether they walk the walk :whistling:

I posted on the 'Russian' thread how I felt crowded by three Indians at an exchange booth. I was changing 1000 US (35.000 baht at the time) and the exchange girl was holding onto the funds while the whole thing was happening. Was I protecting my money or my personal space? is 35,000 worth getting beaten?

I could be mistaken and would painfully regret it if I was, but I would not see the risk of three Indians getting physical as being very high. I had something vaguely similar happen once with one guy who was from somewhere east of Suez. I was at an exchange window and the teller was figuring out how much baht I would get for would get for whatever I had given her. I could see the guy in the reflection of the window and he seemed to think that since there was nothing in the tray, he could expedite the process by putting his money in it before I received my baht. By making myself wide (easy for me), I prevented that from happening. I think he was just being a pushy jack-ass, but I also considered the possibility he would try to snatch my baht and run. I figured that with a 40kg weight advantage, I would do quite well in a jostling contest to block the window. If I had entertained the thought that he might have been carrying a blade, I hope my calculation would have been different. In the end, I went on my way with my baht and no problems or physical contact and the guy behind me giving me a look indicating he thought I was an absolute jerk for delaying him unnecessarily.

• 8 months later...

I was at the entrance of Walking Street and so got a motorbike taxi. Even though the price is always 50B, as is my habit I first fished a 50B note out of my pocket and showed the driver, asking Soi LK Metro 50 baht ok?

Hi. You will have to change your habit: the official price Walking Street - Soi LK is 25 Baht :smile:

Pattaya City is right now reorganising the public transportation system

and has announce the price to be asked by all motorbike taxi :

25 Baht for first 2 km , +5 Baht per additional km

You can find this information at the end of this article

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/07/02/military-orders-control-of-motorcycle-services-in-pattaya/

who follow this previous one from last week

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/06/26/ncpo-orders-control-of-transportation-services-in-pattaya/

Walking Street to Soi LK is about 1.5 km, so 25 baht/person :smile:

Hi. You will have to change your habit: the official price Walking Street - Soi LK is 25 Baht :smile:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/07/02/military-orders-control-of-motorcycle-services-in-pattaya/

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/06/26/ncpo-orders-control-of-transportation-services-in-pattaya/

I wonder when this goes into effect and how this is going to be enforced?

I live less than a km away from Marine Plaza, and for the last year or so, the standard M/C taxi price seems to be 40 baht...up from 30 baht a few years ago. Last week, I engaged a M/C for hire from near Soi Diamond in the wee hours, and on arriving at the destination 3 minutes later with no traffic, I gave him 40 baht. He held his hand out and said "fifty baht". I shrugged and said "40 baht is the price". He grumbled and went on his way.

I can't wait to put 25 baht in his greedy mitts and see how that flies. Of course, I'll be secretly videotaping the whole encounter so that when I'm recovering in the hospital, I can be satisfied that he'll be facing a 5000 baht fine.

One step at a time, that's the way forward. :P

I wonder when this goes into effect and how this is going to be enforced?

Don't know, but don't try today! ;)

Last article say they have until July 15 to register

then they have to get the license in order at the public transport department.

Maybe end of this month? But no doubt we will have more news from City Hall at this time.

One step at a time, that's the way forward. :P

Yes, and true for many rules/laws these days in Thailand. I like :)

BTW it's the first time I think I read an official fare for taxi.

It's very important IMHO, and will help in the future.

• Upvote 1

LOL......... :D

Well good, it is crap these days, particularly during the busy times/high season.

This time of year though they are beeping at you on the baht buses when some months back they would knock you down if you didn't jump.

And I saw one of them Pattaya buses moving down Klang on Monday, haven't seen one out and about for a while, last time was a herd of them with for sale signs on them at the dealers just North of Threpasit on Suk.

Edited by jacko

Hi. I just saw this afternoon a group of about 10 Thai Navy soldiers checking motorbike taxi drivers who were in station in front of a 7/11. 2 soldiers were taking photo (or filming?) with phones; 1 soldier had some documents in hand; 1 taxi driver, facing him, was clearly very excited/irritated...

I didn't see any police officer, only soldiers. A first time for me.

Maybe more about that in newspapers or Internet tomorrow ?

Hi. I just saw this afternoon a group of about 10 Thai Navy soldiers checking motorbike taxi drivers who were in station in front of a 7/11. 2 soldiers were taking photo (or filming?) with phones; 1 soldier had some documents in hand; 1 taxi driver, facing him, was clearly very excited/irritated...

I didn't see any police officer, only soldiers. A first time for me.

Having his status as 'don' undermined?

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/07/04/pattaya-intensifies-its-control-of-motorcycle-taxis/

End of the article:

After the conference the officers from 14th military circle, police and Pattaya officers divided into 4 teams to inspect Pattaya Sai 3 road, Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Sai 1 road, Walking Street, Pattaya tai Road and Bali Hai pier. They then recorded each motorcycle taxi station, name, location and number. Also they asked the riders if they had registered. In addition they had ordered the riders to park their bikes at 45 degrees in order to make more space on the road. Plus they had ordered that the motorcycle taxi riders not to wear shorts and slippers while riding. Motorcycle taxi control project is still available for registration until July 15th from 09.00 am-16.30 pm.

• Upvote 1

Here are examples of boards that are appearing at Motorbikes Taxi "stations" :

204.jpg

Wat Chai market station (South Road along Wat Chaimongkron)

Fares :

- Entrance South Road (Sukhumvit?) : 30 B

- Big C North Pattaya : 50 B

- Soi 7 : 30 B

- Sukhumvit Central Road : 40 B

- City Pattaya (North Rd?) : 50 B

25 B min up to 2 km, then 5 B/km. From 5 km agree with price before.

210.jpg

213.jpg

Edit: Add translation pic #1

Edited by Idefix
  • Upvote 1

A quick check on Google Maps for Wat Chai South Road station :

Sukhumvit South Road : 30 B : ~2.3 km, 30 B ok

Big C North Pattaya : 50 B : ~3.0 km, should be 30 B or 35 B (!)

Soi 7 : 30 B : ~2.0 km, should be 25 or 30 B

Sukhumvit Central Road : 40 B : ~3.4 km, should be 35 B

City Hall Pattaya : 50 B : ~4.9 km, should be 40-45 B

Edited by Idefix

I notice they are written in Thai. I don't think it is the Thais that are getting ripped off.

"Upon inspecting the 4 taxi stations they collected the data from 150 riders and they also found that some of the riders were drinking alcohol so the officers warned them not to drink alcohol whilst they are working."

Quote above from the article, only in Thailand would you get off with a warning

Edited by harro1

Tcha-tcha. One step after another... :smile:

It's already a little revolution to have to display their fares.

It must be rather hard to swallow for a few "bad" motorcycle taxi drivers.

Let's wait & see actions of future complaints at 1337 Pattaya City Line.

Many places still without a board or with new empty ones,

but I saw many boards with fares who seem to be the correct ones :smile:

We should see many more boards by Monday.

To be continued... ;)

• Upvote 1

4 taxi stations. That's a laugh really. There are hundreds of them all over town..4 out of hundreds isn't going to help.

But, as Idefix says, it's a start.

Composed on a mobile phone.

It's already a little revolution to have to display their fares.

Well fares were in baht buses years ago...sometimes. :D

Hi. A quick walk in South Pattaya area, an clearly many new of these fare boards appeared.

In many case these boards are so new that they didn't yet write fares on it for the destinations listed ;)

Looks like a consensus from all motorbike stations that the lowest fare must be 30 Baht, and not 25 as asked by City Hall. :rolleyes:

Many prices I saw are at least 10 baht above what they should be using "25 B up to 2 km + 5 B per km above 2" rule.

A few places have prices clearly 40 or 60% above the rules' price!...

Looks like police will first have to check that every station has its board,

but second will have to check displayed prices...

This "boards invasion" now touched Walking Street too

229.jpg

Tony Disco on Soi 16

248.jpg

Soi P72, the smallest board I saw

232.jpg

La Fontaine / La Note restaurant, the biggest list of destinations

249.jpg

Royal Garden on 2nd Rd, yet to be completed ;)