Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I would just like to ask a simple question, since I intend to move to Pattaya within the next twelve months, what are people's opinions on the question, rent or buy ?

I think a condo is a reasonable investment. Maybe rent for a while and see which areas you like.

I would stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks. During this time I'd start my research in renting a condo for a year or so. I'd continue my research and at the end of a year renting. I'd make my decision.

i'm at the back end of my big plan which has almost been a 2 year plan.

i got my self a condo and i've done the place up over the last 12 months knowing I'm going to be moving over by the end of the year.

i would say not paying rent can only be a plus and give you more money in your pocket.

• Upvote 1

Pattaya bar scene is great but I found after 3 years I was ready for a change and moved to Bangkok where there are more things to do. Always rent pussy.

Rhino what more do you do in Bangkok appreciate all capitals have all sorts, what do you do differently ?

I would suggest you rent in one area first for 6 months and then move around to another area. Pattaya is a very big city with a lot to see and many different areas to live in. By renting in different areas for a few years first, you can get a better feel for the area you will like most. You can then buy if you wish and save yourself the cost of rent later on.

I would suggest you rent in one area first for 6 months and then move around to another area. Pattaya is a very big city with a lot to see and many different areas to live in. By renting in different areas for a few years first, you can get a better feel for the area you will like most. You can then buy if you wish and save yourself the cost of rent later on.

That's what I did exactly. Rented for several years then made my decision on what was best for MY situation. Everyone is different. It takes a while to get the lay of any land and Pattaya is no exception. It's always best to start your condo rental contract in low season rather than high season, that will save you some money. Also, you will get a better deal on longer term agreements such as 1 year or even 6 months in some cases.

In either event, good luck.

• Upvote 1

i would suggest not to rent longer than 6 months as its money down the drain..

i would look at condo buildings as often as you can to get and only ones that suit your price.

ask if the falang percentage has been used up, if so then you can't by in your name and why would you rent in building your not going to be able to by a property in your own name.

1 i checked out a few places in my budget

2 drove thru a few times a day

3 i met poeple that was living there

4 found out if the falang percentage was still available

5 found a condo and did the deal.

i had a friend living on the same complex so i know it was ok, so i was happy to buy and not just rent.

i would suggest not to rent longer than 6 months as its money down the drain..

i would look at condo buildings as often as you can to get and only ones that suit your price.

ask if the falang percentage has been used up, if so then you can't by in your name and why would you rent in building your not going to be able to by a property in your own name.

1 i checked out a few places in my budget

2 drove thru a few times a day

3 i met poeple that was living there

4 found out if the falang percentage was still available

5 found a condo and did the deal.

i had a friend living on the same complex so i know it was ok, so i was happy to buy and not just rent.

And rushing in buying a condo can be a waste of money too.

Imagine buying a condo for 3mil that you could have rented for 20k/month....

If you are into your 60s is spending12 years money really a sound idea, throwing away the freedom to come and go and perhaps locking yourself into a place you come to dislike. The place may be fine, but neighbours can spoil it. Is a condo for you, living in a little box up in the air with 5000 others waiting to get into the elevator? Perhaps you would prefer to be in a house, or in the countryside? There are annual charges associated with owning a condo not being considered here.

Renting can be done for a reasonable price here, condo prices are inflated.

• Upvote 4

There is an opportunity cost to buying (you could earn $5,000 a year on that $100,000 condo price, which lowers the rental cost by 12,000 Baht a month) and if you get tired of living there, don't want to go through the visa renewals or want to live in Isaan or other northern cities, or Bangkok then you have to dispose of the condo, invariably at a bad time in a saturated market.

To Jacko's point above.

Edited by Grandpollo

Excellent advise! Make sure you like where you are living, you may need to try a few different places and areas first. Rents are cheap enough and a solid way to protect what will eventually be your investment

I was wondering if people buying in Pattaya would be wise to have some sort of alliance with a lawyer who would negotiate on your behalf? I feel sure that your negotiation skills would improve the longer you lived here but I also assume that there are pitfalls when you are not using your first language.

I was wondering if people buying in Pattaya would be wise to have some sort of alliance with a lawyer who would negotiate on your behalf? I feel sure that your negotiation skills would improve the longer you lived here but I also assume that there are pitfalls when you are not using your first language.

Negotiate yourself....the lawyer has no any interest to make down the prices, unless you pay him the same sum he negotiated down...The same with the real estate agents... their cut depends from the actual price, so they want to bargain up the prices....You are alone.... I bargained down both of the condos I bought for rent out... ( 150.000 each... ) My strategy was.... Showing the 50.000 baht cash deposit in my hand and asking: Do you want it right now ? Or not ? Up to you...( It looks impressive... :thumbup ) No any language barriers, just the smell of the cash...The maybe later, I must to think etc... strategies not works....

Buying a property in Thailand is really easy...no any pitfalls...unless you swallow some tricks, but the lawyers, real estate agents are not a solution or big-big money... if you want I can tell you how to do it...simple and easy...a few hour works...

Edited by Gabor
  • Upvote 1

I would stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks. During this time I'd start my research in renting a condo for a year or so. I'd continue my research and at the end of a year renting. I'd make my decision.

I think this the best advice so far!

• Upvote 1

I think this the best advice so far!

Jeez, now we will never shut the guy up!

You might be less impressed had you seen the hotel he recommends. :D

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

When i first came here, i rented a studiofor 6 months,but quite big, was a mate,s so i got it for 5,000 baht a month.After 3 months i couldnt stand living in a condo complex, 13 th story and as i have never lived in a condo before,was feeling very insecure regarding a big fire,my paranoid kicking in.

I moved out and rented a 2 bed. bathroom, 2 story house in south pattaya,and had that for a year,paying 8,000 baht a month.Then central Pattaya for 10,000 baht a month,another 2 story townhouse,but with my gf then,Stayed there for 2 years and eventualy bought a single story 2 bed, 2 bathroom house,still in central pattaya.

My suggestion is to move about,renting,but a house not a condo,unless you can afford a 2 bedroom condo,plenty of space to move about and relax in.That rent could be 25,000- 50,000 baht a month minimum.Many of my friends have come for 6 months to 1 year and they all have said they feel claustrophobic in a rabbit hutch,soi they go out and get pissed every night

Condo suits me. However a bad neighbour and that can all quickly change. Though management here have sorted out any problems for me very efficiently.

I like the bumping into people in the condo's shops, the pool or, the lift. The sense of community is welcome after living in a detached house in a Buck's village for umpteen years and never really knowing anyone outside my social scene or the Squash club.

New girls come and go. There's always an opportunity to flirt and build up a frisson of expectation with a few. Some unresolved but fun all the same.

If you're old or infirm.....or pregnant!! Security will check on you each day if you request it.

100_2229.jpg

I paid off the investment of my own money 2 years ago as my ex wife had bought my first condo out of feelings of unnecessary guilt...(though she'll never know that) and the profit from the sale of that first one 2 years after I bought it was 550,000 baht.

When I sell this condo I should also expect to make a reasonable profit. I calculate that over the last 2 years I've saved a conservative estimate of 400,000 baht.

The main thing for me is it's mine...........and can be handed down to my son.

Overall I'm glad I bought and didn't rent........... My big mistake was not buying more when they were so cheap and the pound so strong........Ce la vie!

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 2

As others have said, rent first, then buy. Make sure it's the right one for you. I think condos in Pattaya are a great investment, but make sure that the rent is about 1/100 of the condo price. If it is hard to rent at that rate then there may be a problem.

The condo management makes a big difference. The managers of the condo often see themselves as your lord and master instead of your employee, and if a major owner has appointed the condo manager, or is the manager themselves, you may find that your needs are low on the list of priorities. If you rent and find that the condo management office is always fighting you instead of making your life easier, look elsewhere for your condo purchase.

Condo suits me. However a bad neighbour and that can all quickly change. Though management here have sorted out any problems for me very efficiently.

I like the bumping into people in the condo's shops, the pool or, the lift. The sense of community is welcome after living in a detached house in a Buck's village for umpteen years and never really knowing anyone outside my social scene or the Squash club.

New girls come and go. There's always an opportunity to flirt and build up a frisson of expectation with a few. Some unresolved but fun all the same.

If you're old or infirm.....or pregnant!! Security will check on you each day if you request it.

attachicon.gif 100_2229.jpg

I paid off the investment of my own money 2 years ago as my ex wife had bought my first condo out of feelings of unnecessary guilt...(though she'll never know that) and the profit from the sale of that first one 2 years after I bought it was 550,000 baht.

When I sell this condo I should also expect to make a reasonable profit. I calculate that over the last 2 years I've saved a conservative estimate of 400,000 baht.

Overall I'm glad I bought and didn't rent........... My big mistake was not buying more when they were so cheap and the pound so strong........Ce la vie!

I think you should warn us of the bar that employs known thiefs. Paying a barfine is meant to somewhat weed out dodgy birds.

attachicon.gif[url=http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=78725]100_2229.

Atlas looks nice where is it ?

Edited by Parkwahn

And rushing in buying a condo can be a waste of money too.

Imagine buying a condo for 3mil that you could have rented for 20k/month....

If you are into your 60s is spending12 years money really a sound idea, throwing away the freedom to come and go and perhaps locking yourself into a place you come to dislike. The place may be fine, but neighbours can spoil it. Is a condo for you, living in a little box up in the air with 5000 others waiting to get into the elevator? Perhaps you would prefer to be in a house, or in the countryside? There are annual charges associated with owning a condo not being considered here.

Renting can be done for a reasonable price here, condo prices are inflated.

The thing is i didn't spend 3 mil and I'm 42 years old not in my 60s so i guess i can always rent it out as they seems to be plenty of people wanting to rent...!

and by the way I've never seen 5000 people waiting for my elevator, maybe 2 or 3 ..... and i don't live in a small box...

And you say about a house... that you would never own on paper...! and remember what you said before... "throwing away the freedom to come and go"

by the way my charges are ... wait for this... ONLY 500 BAHT per month..

Edited by lanzalad
  • Upvote 1

The thing is i didn't spend 3 mil and I'm 42 years old not in my 60s so i guess i can always rent it out as they seems to be plenty of people wanting to rent...!

and by the way I've never seen 5000 people waiting for my elevator, maybe 2 or 3 ..... and i don't live in a small box...

And you say about a house... that you would never own on paper...! and remember what you said before... "throwing away the freedom to come and go"

by the way my charges are ... wait for this... ONLY 500 BAHT per month..

And neither you, nor I are the OP!

There are plenty of people wanting to rent for a reason.......

Tell us, how many sq m do you live in, not including balcony and cupboard space, and let others decide whether it is a small box or not.

I went for a house due to my own preferences, there are pros and cons of course,

But I was aiming my response at the OP, not you, nor saying it is what I have done, just what I recommend.

A rebuttal to your post only.