Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

World Cup, want to watch in Pattaya

Hi folk,

Was thinking ot going to World Cup but too expensive to get to Brazil and all the travelling about, so thought of coming to Pattya to watch in the bars. Always a good atmoshpere when its on.

Kick off times are 17:00, 20:00 and 23:00 BST, so that makes it midnight, 3 am and 6 am if theres a 7 hr time gap between UK and Thailand.

Is this right? Could do the midnight kick offs, but the others look too hard to stay awake for, and would guess the bars might want to close.

First round group games run from 12-26 June

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am glad the two threads about the Wold Cup in Brazil have finally started. A bit of harmless banter is fine, but so far there has been too much of it, instead of discussing what will or could happe

Just like the previous WC, they are still pissing around trying to decide who will be transmitting the games. Since Scotland have decided to opt out, I still have to decide on a team to follow - I mi

You have to remember, the Scots have many years of experience of not supporting England during the World Cup. Developed from many years more of not supporting Scotland.

Posted Images

Hi folk,

Was thinking ot going to World Cup but too expensive to get to Brazil and all the travelling about, so thought of coming to Pattya to watch in the bars. Always a good atmoshpere when its on.

Kick off times are 17:00, 20:00 and 23:00 BST, so that makes it midnight, 3 am and 6 am if theres a 7 hr time gap between UK and Thailand.

Is this right? Could do the midnight kick offs, but the others look too hard to stay awake for, and would guess the bars might want to close.

Just like the previous WC, they are still pissing around trying to decide who will be transmitting the games. Since Scotland have decided to opt out, I still have to decide on a team to follow - I might go with Colombia.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just like the previous WC, they are still pissing around trying to decide who will be transmitting the games. Since Scotland have decided to opt out, I still have to decide on a team to follow - I might go with Colombia.

Did you not know that England had qualified??

Hi folk,

I think Rio Janeiro is 10 hours behind Thailand you can work it out........I'll be watching England at whatever the time it is they are playing.

Did you not know that England had qualified??

And the Aussies apparently. So, best of luck to both of them. I supported/followed the Yanks in South Africa and got a decent run for my money. Let's hope Radamel & Co can come up trumps for me this time round - I'm looking forward to it already.

I wonder what the chances are of England being drawn against the US - memories of 1950, and all that!

Edited by CheshireTom

Hi folk,

It will be 6 hours time difference between UK and Thailand. Daylight saving time only came into effect because of some silly little Ruckas that was going off in Europe. Though it did originate from Benjamin Franklin, see I was lidstening in History class....Sometimes!!!

Clocks go forward 1 hour on Sunday march the 30th giving us a 6 hour time difference to Thailand and they then return to 7 hours difference on Sunday October 26th, :thumbup :thumbup

It is a great time around the bars during World Cup fever, the girls really get into it, face painting etc etc.

My only tip would be not to sit and watch the final with a couple of clueless yanks who know absolutely zero about the game, LBJ, MM, have you learn't the offside trap as yet? :bhappy :bhappy

Edited by jamie392305

I wonder what the chances are of England being drawn against the US - memories of 1950, and all that!

I think I can guess that even if your money would be on The USA your heart will be with England!............ I'm right aren't I?

You have to remember, the Scots have many years of experience of not supporting England during the World Cup.

Developed from many years more of not supporting Scotland.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think I can guess that even if your money would be on The USA your heart will be with England!............ I'm right aren't I?

No. :clueless

I'm crushed....

Revised kick off times then are 11 pm, 2 am and 6 am, can manage the first and probably the second if I keep off the beer,, so I reckon I might go.

Is the weather in June in Pattaya rainy or still hot and dry? Only ever been in Nov to January and once for Sonkran.

My only tip would be not to sit and watch the final with a couple of clueless yanks who know absolutely zero about the game, LBJ, MM, have you learn't the offside trap as yet? :bhappy :bhappy

I remember that night like it was 2010! What a championship game, 0-0 after an entire 90 minutes on that giant ping-pong table they call a field. I remember I was trying to take a break from alcohol that night but after the first fifteen minutes, I fell off the wagon hard. I heard Spain finally managed to score, is that true?

Unfortunately for many, including myself, I don't think Thailand is going to be the best location for watching the World Cup live due to the time zones.

Hotels are going to be charging ten times their usual rate in Brasil. What's looking like the best location to watch and enjoy?

Unfortunately for many, including myself, I don't think Thailand is going to be the best location for watching the World Cup live due to the time zones.

Hotels are going to be charging ten times their usual rate in Brasil. What's looking like the best location to watch and enjoy?

Apart from anything else, the commentaries may all be in Thai - I've seen nothing so far to suggest that any Thai programming is aimed at farangs. If that remains the case, you'll be better off finding somewhere with the full Astro package (not just Supersport 1) - Samui and Phuket have loads of places, I'm not so sure about Pattaya. Personally, if I was in the UK, I wouldn't consider coming to Pattaya during the WC - if I was going to holiday, the Caribbean/Central/South America area is where I'd be looking. What's the likes of Honduras or Costa Rica like for a holiday? It could be a good reason for some to suss out other mongering locations ... Venezuala?

Edited by CheshireTom
  • 2 months later...

No. :clueless

It's not that important, but a bit of a pity.

For my own part, if England failed to qualify but Scotland did (as has happened), it would be unthinkable not to be rooting for Scotland. Or Wales or NI if it applied.

It's not that important, but a bit of a pity.

For my own part, if England failed to qualify but Scotland did (as has happened), it would be unthinkable not to be rooting for Scotland. Or Wales or NI if it applied.

Why? None of my family is from England, although my mum had a bit of a soft spot for Brian Clough. I certainly wouldn't expect you, or anyone else, to support Scotland unless they were Scottish - for sure, I wouldn't view it as a "bit of a pity" if they didn't. Indifferent would probably be a better description. As for me, I'm pretty certain that I've actually travelled to watch more footie games in Europe and the Far East to support English club sides than most English members of this forum. I don't want to sound unkind but the last thing I want to be mistaken for down the pub is a fan of the English national football team - they have a bit of a reputation that I'd rather not be associated with and my own experience of them in Düsseldorf in 1988 was sufficient. Besides, having supported Scotland for so long, supporting a crap team the underdogs falls quite nicely into my comfort zone. Will you be travelling to Brazil for the games?

Edited by CheshireTom

No Tom, I reckon that even if I wanted to visit Brazil, which I don't, and were willing to afford the cost, I reckon I can see the action best on TV from the comfort of Pattaya.

As for why, well none of my family are from Scotland, but England and Scotland have been a political and social, not to mention military union for a long time, and when I were a lad there was unquestioned solidarity between the two, at least in English eyes.

The fact that this perceived union has come increasingly into question north of the border is, to my mind, indeed a bit of a pity though understandable for dredged-up historical (nationalist) reasons. Personally I admire Scottish canniness, pride and fighting spirit, for which the English have much to be grateful, and football being just a game, and the WC an occasion for a non-fanatical bit of flag-waving, I would naturally support Scotland if England was not represented. That's the way I was raised, and I find it ok. When it's not reciprocated, and Andrew Murray comes to mind, I find it unfortunate and divisive, but ultimately I suppose - a matter of indifference as you say.

No Tom, I reckon that even if I wanted to visit Brazil, which I don't, and were willing to afford the cost, I reckon I can see the action best on TV from the comfort of Pattaya.

As for why, well none of my family are from Scotland, but England and Scotland have been a political and social, not to mention military union for a long time, and when I were a lad there was unquestioned solidarity between the two, at least in English eyes.

The fact that this perceived union has come increasingly into question north of the border is, to my mind, indeed a bit of a pity though understandable for dredged-up historical (nationalist) reasons. Personally I admire Scottish canniness, pride and fighting spirit, for which the English have much to be grateful, and football being just a game, and the WC an occasion for a non-fanatical bit of flag-waving, I would naturally support Scotland if England was not represented. That's the way I was raised, and I find it ok. When it's not reciprocated, and Andrew Murray comes to mind, I find it unfortunate and divisive, but ultimately I suppose - a matter of indifference as you say.

The way I view it is that it's no different to expecting a Man Utd supporter to cheer on Chelsea (or vice versa) in the Euro final. I spent over 20 years lending my practical efforts to the military union, but I don't quite grasp why that should influence what football team I support other than I'm a great admirer of the Germans due to the length of time I spent living (and playing sport) there. I do suspect that cheering on the Germans might be a bit of an alien concept to some of my chums though.

What do you find unfortunate and divisive about Andy Murray? Ginger hair? His mum? I have no problem whatsoever with the likes of Tim Henman or Bradley Wiggins as sporting icons. :clueless

Edited by CheshireTom

Besides, having supported Scotland for so long, supporting a crap team the underdogs falls quite nicely into my comfort zone.

I think this time 'England' also fit into the parameters of your 'comfort zone' and therefore qualify for your support. It will be just like cheering on Scotland ……… There's no danger we'd actually win so don't worry about that! And you'd be supporting British style football. The very same football you've just said you've travelled the world to watch.

Why not Tom?

I feel the same as Bushcraft and I'd have been cheering on any of the countries from the British Isles that made it to the finals.

Edited by atlas2

I think this time 'England' also fit into the parameters of your 'comfort zone' and therefore qualify for your support. It will be just like cheering on Scotland ……… There's no danger we'd actually win so don't worry about that! And you'd be supporting British style football. The very same football you've just said you've travelled the world to watch.

Why not Tom?

You've obviously never been to a Partick Thistle v Ross County game (or a recent Newcastle v Arsenal one for that matter) . Anyway, I thought I made my position quite clear ...

"I don't want to sound unkind but the last thing I want to be mistaken for down the pub is a fan of the English national football team - they have a bit of a reputation that I'd rather not be associated with and my own experience of them in Düsseldorf in 1988 was sufficient."

I feel the same as Bushcraft and I'd have been cheering on any of the countries from the British Isles that made it to the finals.

Why not France ... it'll be just like watching a Newcastle/Arsenal select? And their national anthem is 10 times better - in fact I may switch allegiance to them (they hadn't qualified at the time of the OP), la Vieille Alliance, and all that. You seem to have a lot in common with Bushcraft; didn't/don't you also have issues with Andy Murray?

I see that an alcohol ban is planned in Thailand for Burns' Night - how inconsiderate! Will you be celebrating?

Edited by CheshireTom

"I don't want to sound unkind but the last thing I want to be mistaken for down the pub is a fan of the English national football team - they have a bit of a reputation that I'd rather not be associated with and my own experience of them in Düsseldorf in 1988 was sufficient."

It's been a while since there's been trouble with The England team's support….(thank God!). But I honestly agree with you there. Absolutely shameful and I can understand your reluctance to have anything to do with such behaviour. No point in being tarred with the same brush. Happily 1988 was back in the last century. I don't think there's been a real riot in England since 2008 in Manchester………A UEFA cup final……... Rangers Vs Zenit St Petersburg.

It's OK Tom, just pulling your leg. I know the unwritten rule. There's nothing I can say if you hearts against us. From my point of view, as a proud Englishman I hope the World Cup goes less well than you, (and I suspect many others north of the boarder), would like.

Edited by atlas2

Jeez, I hope we don't have to go to war with the Zulus again!

We will be fighting grass skirts and tartan skirts!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

It's been a while since there's been trouble with The England team's support….(thank God!). But I honestly agree with you there. Absolutely shameful and I can understand your reluctance to have anything to do with such behaviour. No point in being tarred with the same brush. Happily 1988 was back in the last century. I don't think there's been a real riot in England since 2008 in Manchester………A UEFA cup final……... Rangers Vs Zenit St Petersburg.

Exactly my point. I'd no sooner support Rangers (or buy one of their polo shirts) than I would England; and for similar reasons.

It's OK Tom, just pulling your leg. I know the unwritten rule. There's nothing I can say if you hearts against us. From my point of view, as a proud Englishman I hope the World Cup goes less well than you, (and I suspect many others north of the boarder), would like.

It appears to me that you have issues. Personally, I couldn't care less who you (or Bushcraft) choose to support and, quite frankly, I'm amazed that you see things otherwise. As it is, I don't quite get the "You're either with us, or against us" angst. I've already said I'm indifferent.

Edited by CheshireTom