Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Don't shoot the messenger!

I've been trying to post these pics for weeks but don't have one very important detail - the name of the restaurant. My friend took me there and I have to wait 'til we go there next, it's a small French restaurant somewhere around Prathumnak Road. This menu was 230 baht, I shit you not. French onion soup, smoked salmon(or choice of salad), Steak Tartare, creme brulee(creme caramel) and espresso. All top stuff.

_DSC4897_small.jpg

_DSC4898_small.jpg

_DSC4902_small.jpg

_DSC4904_small.jpg

_DSC4906_small.jpg

• Upvote 4

You don't realise the harm your doing to your guts by eating this crap.......Fucking disgusting....!

I would like to know what harm that is - raw food is quite well know and supposed to be good for you

In case of steak Tartare, it depends a little bit on where. It is sourced from. I am sure in Denmark, sourced from Danish cows, under danish health regulations, it would be fine. I used to eat it frequently in Holland, too.

In Thailand however, how am I sure about its provenance. Was it homekill on the back of a local farm?

Was it in a certified abbatoir with independent meat inspectors etc etc.

what are hygiene regulations here? Was the cow tested for all kind of unpleasant bovine diseases that can affect humans?

• Upvote 1

As for the steak Tartare, I used to live with an old lady for a few months in the South of France who owned a restaurant in St. Tropez. She always had steak tartare on Thursdays and it was like absolute fucking heaven. Now I understand it must be different here in Pattaya but I am convinced that the French would not go below a certain standard. BTW that was just one option on the menu like the salmon was. You could choose other items as well. I still think that at 230 is a great deal. Hell, just the coffee and creme brulée would worth that much if not more.

As for the steak Tartare, I used to live with an old lady for a few months in the South of France who owned a restaurant in St. Tropez. She always had steak tartare on Thursdays and it was like absolute fucking heaven. Now I understand it must be different here in Pattaya but I am convinced that the French would not go below a certain standard. BTW that was just one option on the menu like the salmon was. You could choose other items as well. I still think that at 230 is a great deal. Hell, just the coffee and creme brulée would worth that much if not more.

Yes, yes, but where the fuck is it and what's it called?

Have you checked google maps or street maps to see if you can recall?

Was it up Pratumnak Hill, past the park?

I'm thinking perhaps it was Le Strogonoff at Soi 4 Pratumnak. Street view is here

Looks great.... but I would be a coward prick to order a raw meat food in thailand.....( apart the sashimi and the oysters ) despite I like really much the tartare steak ... back in Hungary... I'm not sure the thais knows the meat must be hold 7-10 days covered with vegetable oil to kill the possible dangerous germs....and must look like this:

tat%C3%A1rbifsztek.jpg

Edited by Gabor

Well I am not missing the main point ……230 Baht is an exceptional price for a Western meal of that standard, surely a " loss leader" !

The onion soup looked delicious.

Irony?

I thought the presentation of all the dishes was very poor.

But at that price one cannot expect much.

Irony?

I find nothing wrong with the presentation of that onion soup, perhaps you could show us, how it's supposed to be...

I find nothing wrong with the presentation of that onion soup, perhaps you could show us, how it's supposed to be...

I am used to seeing it more like this....

soup.jpg

or better still this....

FrenchOnionSoup.jpg

Edited by jacko

I am used to seeing it more like this....

attachicon.gifsoup.jpg

or better still this....

attachicon.gifFrenchOnionSoup.jpg

You just posted one pic that is almost identical to the one I posted. The part I don't get is what makes yours better presented than mine? Honestly. Why is "the presentation of all the dishes very poor" as you put it. Regardless the fact that it is a 230 baht lunch menu FFS...

You just posted one pic that is almost identical to the one I posted. The part I don't get is what makes yours better presented than mine? Honestly. Why is "the presentation of all the dishes very poor" as you put it. Regardless the fact that it is a 230 baht lunch menu FFS...

'Almost identical' is an oxymoron!

I picked that one to show how it could be similar, but made to appear more appetising, better presented.

I did say for 230 baht I would not expect a 'sprinkling of truffles'.

If you cannot see any difference, great.....

Edited by jacko

I've been trying to post these pics for weeks but don't have one very important detail - the name of the restaurant. My friend took me there and I have to wait 'til we go there next, it's a small French restaurant somewhere around Prathumnak Road. This menu was 230 baht, I shit you not. French onion soup, smoked salmon(or choice of salad), Steak Tartare, creme brulee(creme caramel) and espresso. All top stuff.

I'm going to try once again to confirm the restaurant name with you as I did in an earlier post.

This time, I am going to give you more memory joggers, so perhaps then you can confirm or deny that this was the restaurant.

The name is Le Strogonoff. It is on SOI 4 Pratumnak.

It has the following writeup on Tripadvisor, where the 4 course meal is said to be about 320 baht (not 230 baht).

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d2027214-Reviews-Le_Strogonoff-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#REVIEWS

The Google maps street view picture of the restaurant follows.

Is this the place? It sure looks like it from your description. I've always wondered if I should give it a try, and from the reviews and your description, I believe I will very soon (thanks wobbly for the recommendation as well).

Pratumnak soi 6 - Google Maps.png

I'm going to try once again to confirm the restaurant name with you as I did in an earlier post.

This time, I am going to give you more memory joggers, so perhaps then you can confirm or deny that this was the restaurant.

The name is Le Strogonoff. It is on SOI 4 Pratumnak.

It has the following writeup on Tripadvisor, where the 4 course meal is said to be about 320 baht (not 230 baht).

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d2027214-Reviews-Le_Strogonoff-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#REVIEWS

The Google maps street view picture of the restaurant follows.

Is this the place? It sure looks like it from your description. I've always wondered if I should give it a try, and from the reviews and your description, I believe I will very soon (thanks wobbly for the recommendation as well).

attachicon.gifPratumnak soi 6 - Google Maps.png

It does look like the place and I might have mistaken the price. I called my friend who drove me there but his answer was: "I go there to eat, not to read", the bottom line is that I'll never again start a thread with incomplete information and without a food styler, that's a promise...

It does look like the place and I might have mistaken the price. I called my friend who drove me there but his answer was: "I go there to eat, not to read", the bottom line is that I'll never again start a thread with incomplete information and without a food styler, that's a promise...

I actually think not knowing the name of the restaurant added entertainment value to the thread! It's easier to solve than those Triangle Bar puzzlers.

Anyway, in spite of the remaining mystery, I will give Le Strogonoff a try and report back. You've piqued my interest.

Irony?

I'm in complete agreement with you. Regarding the soup, the broth was too light, the cheese was too little and wasn't melted enough. The sliced sandwich bread and frozen fries took away from the meal as well. But as mentioned, at that price point what would you expect.

The only raw beef I've ever eaten was thinly sliced Kobe and it was fantastic. But this doesn't really look appetizing to me.

• Upvote 1

LOL ! Patna…You appear to be attracting almost "Gaborlike" heckling here!! Bet you wish that you stuck to the excellent photos of the female form ! :bhappy Oh yes, that coffee cup doesn't look very full to me ! :chogdee2

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1