Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Is mourning for Supreme Patriarch affecting Pattaya?

Thai police has requested entertainment venues to refrain from joyful shows and performances until November 8th. The period might be extended, just as the official mourning period http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/376377/mourning-period-for-late-supreme-patriarch-extended

This Friday evening the interpretation on Soi Cowboy was that no music and no dancing was permitted. The major agogos were closed but some small ones were open, but only serving drinks with no entertainment apart from conversation. The word about the note from police had not been communicated very well and dancers and band members kept turning up and being very baffled why the soi was dark and there was no work.

I believe the only exception was Crazy House which flaunted the instructions and moved the action to the 2nd and 3rd floors. I had a good time, including plenty of fully pretty nude dancers and a dancer's hand up the leg of my. shorts which is rare in Bangkok.

Has there been any effect in Pattaya, since the police request should apply across the country?

Police came by just after 2am and closed all the gogos and bars, including Infomnia and Ibar.

After 3am, this is what the bar across the street from FLB looked like...and JP Bar was packed early last night.

Note that there is no restriction on alcohol sales, only music and joyful behavior :clueless

2013-10-26 03.10.15.jpg

The girl walking in the black dress; immediately behind her at the bar, a Falang seems to be having a nice feel of the spinners Toot. :)

Or that is a LB and he has his hand on his wallet. ;)

The girl walking in the black dress; immediately behind her at the bar, a Falang seems to be having a nice feel of the spinners Toot. :)

That's no "girl".

As for the early closing and mourning etc...

No sign of early closures last night on Walking Street.

Loy Krathong is delayed !

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/376755/loy-krathong-festivities-delayed

I wonder if TAT is going to compensate anyone......

It's going to cause confusion about when to celebrate Loy Krathong.

What's being postponed are the "official" Loy Krathong events...I can't recall ever going to an "official" event.

As long as they allow the vendors to sell krathongs, and the ladies to dress up, there should be the peoples' event on the 17th as planned.

So it sounds like Halloween is on (until 2 am at the very least) ......

DSC07426WS.jpg

.....and the unofficial Loy Krathong events will go ahead as planned, with perhaps the fireworks being subdued a bit?

DSC05459Wxsnr9.jpg

Edited by Sa-teef

So it sounds like Halloween is on (until 2 am at the very least) ......

.....and the unofficial Loy Krathong events will go ahead as planned, with perhaps the fireworks being subdued a bit?

Given the complete lack of police activity since the first day of the mourning period, I think you're right about Halloween being business as usual...the last 3 nights, everyone closed when they wanted to...a normal night.

Music was shut after 3am or so...and the Arab quarter was eerily (and thankfully) quiet.

Re Loy Krathong, the government has come out and said that Loy Krathong will proceed as usual and TAT jumped the gun.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/376938/loy-krathong-gets-go-ahead-from-govt

Given the complete lack of police activity since the first day of the mourning period, I think you're right about Halloween being business as usual...the last 3 nights, everyone closed when they wanted to...a normal night.

Music was shut after 3am or so...and the Arab quarter was eerily (and thankfully) quiet.

Re Loy Krathong, the government has come out and said that Loy Krathong will proceed as usual and TAT jumped the gun.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/376938/loy-krathong-gets-go-ahead-from-govt

Thanks for the link.

Wow, that has to be a major loss of face for some bureaucrat!

It's seems the only sensible thing to do, regardless.

It's seems the only sensible thing to do, regardless.

Loy Kratong is a major holiday that generates huge sales and revenues for many, many businesses in Thailand. It would have been insane to attempt to postpone mass celebrations.

Halloween is another matter. That's a foreign import and basically only affects businesses catering to farang customers, although it does indeed generate a lot of money for Thais.

Personally, I'll be very happy if Halloween proceeds as usual. I've had majorly fun nights the last few years on Oct. 31 in Pattaya. I just have to make sure I don't max out on the drinking too early.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil

So, Halloween night was raucous, loud, and lasted well into the morning with no consideration for the mourning period.

From everything I have seen in the Walking Street area, it continues to be business as usual.

From everything I have seen in the Walking Street area, it continues to be business as usual.

... and a good number of ladies still wearing their Halloween headband

today at the Soi Buakao Friday market :smile: