Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Right now that link says:

BREAKING : 5 dead, over 200 injured in Larn Island Ferry disaster, numbers of dead expected to increase, full report on Pattaya One website later

A report on pattaya103 website says no injuries.

So, right now, unclear. It's probably all over Thai TV, but I missed the news.

Great journalism in evidence here.

50 passengers, no injuries...oh, wait, 200 passengers, 6 deaths...wait wait.

Nobody bothers with facts in getting the story out.

water safety in Pattaya isn't even given a second thought...now you can't even take a ferry to Koh Larn without worrying about your safety....

I wouldn't be surprised to see exclusions in future travel insurance policies to include traveling in a ferry to an outlying island off the Pattaya coast.

RIP to the lost souls who thought they were on a pleasure trip.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if that was the same one I took to ko Larn last year. First thing I did when I got on was look for the life vests. They were stuck into the rafters to high for many to reach.

It seems to me like they ought to be able to operate a ferry safely. No bad weather, right?

It was clear and sunny yesterday but quite breezy.

These old ferries get well loaded, particularly if it is the last one.

Got up this AM to alerts from Thaivisa so was reading conflicting news reports for a while.

Very tragic.

Hi. I think they will have to re-think their ferry ticket system, because now you can go to the island at any hour but many tourists try to stay as long as possible and then to come back with 1 of the 2 last ferries who are nearly always overcrowded... :(

Taking into account that the night felt not long after the accident, I would think they are very lucky to have only 6 dead people. Clear night, rather quiet weather & sea. Could have be worse very easily.

Edited by Idefix

A tragedy occurs and some BM show their true colors. A real classy comment papillon.

Actually, that was an analysis question. Nothing wrong with trying to understanding why people do what they do..

Early reports are that people running from water that would have gotten their feet wet caused them to run to the top level where their leverage caused the boat to overturn.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dont know what the cuase of it was, but i have stood on the peer and watched in amazment as tboats are coming into port and

a) It is overcrowded

B) all the russians and chinese all rush to portside to be first off the boat , the boat was coming in at about 90% angle and the water level was about 3 inches from the rail of the boat.

Actually, that was an analysis question. Nothing wrong with trying to understanding why people do what they do..

Early reports are that people running from water that would have gotten their feet wet caused them to run to the top level where their leverage caused the boat to overturn.

Yeah, imagine that. Being in a boat that's sinking, water lapping at your feet, and somehow finding it surprising that people should want to get away.

This tragedy is a reminder of the need for sea-going vessels to have life vests for every passenger. And the Thai authorities need to get serious in enforcing the rules about overloading ferries.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 2

Yea I used the ferry in april , (two trips to koh larn ) No tickets issued on boarding , just give your cash to some women at the side of the boat , what amazed me is they

didn't keep to their timetable schedule , the boat left Koh Larn 20 mins early with many people running to catch it and shouting , the boat people didn't seem bothered

( the boat wasn't full ) the last boat from the island filled to the rafters an accident waiting to happen . !