Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

This tragedy is a reminder of the need for sea-going vessels to have life vests for every passenger.

And the Thai authorities need to get serious in enforcing the rules about overloading ferries.

I don't know for this precise boat, but seems to me that - following an accident and many controls maybe 2 or 3 years ago - ferries to the island have a big number of life vests, buoys and safety floating-objects. They may have had enough of them for 150 passengers. :smile:

But as you say, 150 vests would not have be enough if 200+ people where on board, despite an official 150 passengers limit... :(

BTW it's usual in many countries to force the wear of a life-vest on small boats (like speed boats here) but not on big boats (like this ferry) where you usually have more time to prepare to quit the boat.

I see the problem not in the lack of the vests.... Most of the passengers went upstairs and the boat not simple sinked, but capsized... imagine the mass of the people fall on each others and the whole, heavy boat may fall on and overlie the feople in the water already... vest or not... see the many injured...

• Upvote 1

I hope nobody was wearing their Adidas Originals.

People die, and your only comment is a dig towards me.

You are one sad sack of shit.

Actually, that was an analysis question. Nothing wrong with trying to understanding why people do what they do..

Early reports are that people running from water that would have gotten their feet wet caused them to run to the top level where their leverage caused the boat to overturn.

It wasn't. He was digging at me because of the discussion on the bargirl prices thread.

He is a wanker, and one that needs putting down.

Back to the original topic. Sadly this was waiting to happen. They overload those boats with no regards to if it is safe or not. We normally take a speedboat to Ko Larn, but that isn't any safer as the 2 incidents recently show.

2 words not in the Thai language, health safety.

Thoughts to the families.

Edited by Keen Punter
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is a link posted in the Secrets board.

http://rt.com/news/thailand-ferry-sink-russians-158/

The kid at 45secs looks dead. Not sure why him and his mum have blood on their faces?

Looks like they are doing their best to bring him back here: http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/104224-at-least-six-dead-as-tourist-ferry-sinks-off-thai-resort

The post #29 by "short" contains this link : pattaya-ferry-confesses-to-drug-use B)

Fair enough. I didn't see that, I just came straight to the thread and posted when I saw the article on Facebook.

I still don't see why you felt the need to comment though, not exactly crime of the century to duplicate something now is it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Keen Punter

I hope nobody was wearing their Adidas Originals.

I don't give a fuck about votes, but this is one case where i am really pissed off about having 10 + but only 2 - votes a day.

Fucking pathetic papillon!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Fair enough. I didn't see that, I just came straight to the thread and posted when I saw the article on Facebook.

I still don't see why you felt the need to comment though, not exactly crime of the century to duplicate something now is it. :rolleyes:

Funny that, it may not be the crime of the century but it exhibits the fact that a person has not read the rest of the thread before posting a reply.

Thought the same in another thread where my response was pretty much duplicated later and that received a green whereas mine was bereft.

I feel so aggrieved. :D

Edited by jacko

Funny that, it may not be the crime of the century but it exhibits the fact that a person has not read the rest of the thread before posting a reply.

Thought the same in another thread where my response was pretty much duplicated later and that received a green whereas mine was bereft.

I feel so aggrieved. :D

There's a lot of Butterfly Posters that flit from forum to forum and post without reading the thread first.

Amateurs.. No sense of loyalty. Internet trailer trash.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just got back fom Koh Larn andI saw that the ferries have two important changes

1. Schedules seem to be out the window. The 10 am boat left at 9:50. The next one they queued us to , going to Tien Beach , had a posted schedule of 9 am and 11 am. It left at 10:20. Coming back from Tien Beach the boat were scheduled every hour, the 4 pm which I caught actually left at 3:40. Not sure if they are counting and leaving when they reach capaity, but neither boat I was on seemed "full". Maybe its just that I am so used to crammed full that they now seem empty.

2. Everyone getting on is given a life jacket. No requirement to put them on, but I would guess over 90% did wear them. They ALL looked to be new since the accident.

I agree, like the buses they just load them up and sail when they are full, full according to a number limit.

And I wonder if all these new life-vests were stowed away or sitting in boxes in someone's office?

Governments normally take years to procure light bulbs!

I wonder how they will handle the last ferry back if there are too many customers.....

I just don't see it lasting, greed normally wins out!

Anyhow.. the real problem appears to be intoxicated and drugged up boat 'captains'....

Edited by jacko

This is a link posted in the Secrets board.

http://rt.com/news/thailand-ferry-sink-russians-158/

The kid at 45secs looks dead. Not sure why him and his mum have blood on their faces?

Looks like they are doing their best to bring him back here: http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/104224-at-least-six-dead-as-tourist-ferry-sinks-off-thai-resort

Well, it looks like that poor kid became the 7th victim after all.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/11/08/russian-boy-dies-after-being-rescued-from-sinking-ferry/

I just got back fom Koh Larn andI saw that the ferries have two important changes

1. Schedules seem to be out the window. The 10 am boat left at 9:50. The next one they queued us to , going to Tien Beach , had a posted schedule of 9 am and 11 am. It left at 10:20. Coming back from Tien Beach the boat were scheduled every hour, the 4 pm which I caught actually left at 3:40. Not sure if they are counting and leaving when they reach capaity, but neither boat I was on seemed "full". Maybe its just that I am so used to crammed full that they now seem empty.

2. Everyone getting on is given a life jacket. No requirement to put them on, but I would guess over 90% did wear them. They ALL looked to be new since the accident.

Interesting.

I wonder how long that will last.