Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Is the situation stable in Thailand? should I cancel my visit?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This year , er right now , present time...... . Wake up and smell the coffee.....!   Are we there yet....?

maybe turn down the sarcasm level one notch so   no.

I went up to BKK in 2010 and spent a couple of days photographing and chatting with the red-shirts. Without exception, I was welcomed and treated with the utmost courtesy by everyone I came across.

Posted Images

This year , er right now , present time...... :zzz: . Wake up and smell the coffee.....!

Are we there yet....?

What he's saying that all those videos on you tube depicting protests and fighting on sukhumvit and soi nana are three years old, from 2010

This year , er right now , present time...... :zzz: . Wake up and smell the coffee.....!

Are we there yet....?

Got any links? I've not seen any reports of incidents "around Sukhumvit and/or Soi Nana. Barricades, tear gas, army guys with guns….". Some BMs may be planning visits to the areas in question ...

Edited by CheshireTom

Anyone in the UK can get reports of the current situation on Aljazeera News (Freeview channel 83). The coverage is much better than the BBC is currently providing.

I guess it is the same Al Jazeera I get on Sophon here in Thailand.

I guess it is the same Al Jazeera I get on Sophon here in Thailand.

The one on Sophon is a lot more middle eastern news oriented than the UK version , but is the same set up and i think it's a good news channel....

• Upvote 1

Some links. I think they're recent:

Indeed they are recent. Unfortunately, none of them were shot anywhere near Soi Nana as you claimed.

There is an excellent updated Google Map available showing the location of protests, key government buildings etc. I have added Nana as a green star to the screenshot to indicate how far it is from the current clashes. That's not to say things won't change in the future.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1

What he's saying that all those videos on you tube depicting protests and fighting on sukhumvit and soi nana are three years old, from 2010

maybe turn down the sarcasm level one notch so

If this escalates will a curfew be imposed like a couple of years ago ?

no.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As I hoped it looks like things will settle down …...at least for a few days.

Thai police yield to protesters ahead of king's birthday
by Aidan Jones

BANGKOK, December 3, 2013 (AFP) - Thai police abandoned their defence of the besieged government headquarters on Tuesday, allowing unruly protesters to cross barricades in a dramatic move that eased tensions ahead of the revered king's birthday.

Several days of street battles between demonstrators and security forces suddenly gave way to hugs and smiles after police said they would no longer use force against protesters trying to storm Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's offices as well as their own headquarters.

The sudden change in tactics came as the nation prepares on Thursday to celebrate King Bhumibol Adulyadej's 86th birthday, a day normally marked in a spirit of calm and reverence for the monarch.

"There's a mutual understanding that everything must be calm and orderly on this auspicious day," National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut told AFP.

"It's a positive sign and talks could be held after the king's birthday. It will take time to solve the problem by negotiation," he added.

This was posted today: "NANA GROUP NEWSFLASH - Despite rumours and misleading media reports the political problems in Bangkok are far away from Nana Plaza. In and around Nana Plaza is safe and there is NO CURFEW IMPOSED. "

That was the only point I was trying to make.

The video I saw the other day of Nana seems to be gone. However, it was supposed to be recent. I guess someone was trying to be funny.

There is an excellent updated Google Map available showing the location of protests, key government buildings etc. I have added Nana as a green star to the screenshot to indicate how far it is from the current clashes. That's not to say things won't change in the future.

Who's a clever boy then....... :clap2: