Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

From http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/03/21728501-thai-police-end-resistance-to-protesters-allow-them-to-advance-on-government-buildings?lite:

"Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak told reporters a target of 26.5 million tourists for the year may not be met. Tourism contributes 10 percent to Thailand's $620 billion economy."

The article makes no mention of the mongering contribution. Just as well since any number would be little more than a WAG (Wild-Ass-Guess), but that minor detail should prove to be no obstacle to the board's gurus.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The average Thai look at sex mongers as a person of low class,even if you marry one and live in Thailand 30 years you will never ever be considered nothing but shoe scum.

• Upvote 2

From http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/03/21728501-thai-police-end-resistance-to-protesters-allow-them-to-advance-on-government-buildings?lite:

"Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak told reporters a target of 26.5 million tourists for the year may not be met. Tourism contributes 10 percent to Thailand's $620 billion economy."

The article makes no mention of the mongering contribution. Just as well since any number would be little more than a WAG (Wild-Ass-Guess), but that minor detail should prove to be no obstacle to the board's gurus.

According to the BBC 7% of Thai GDP

The average Thai look at sex mongers as a person of low class,even if you marry one and live in Thailand 30 years you will never ever be considered nothing but shoe scum.

You may be right however the vast majority of people contributing to boards like this do not mix much with 'average Thai' in that we are here for a good time and then gone.

I do think that this is an interesting thread however as I wonder when they will stop closing down the entertainment industry days at a time because of religious and royal reasons. The recent debate over the death of the Patriarch when they were initially looking at a three week mourning phase threw this into sharp relief. There must surely be a section of the civil service that sees this as a potential disaster in a country where for so many no work means no pay.

You may be right however the vast majority of people contributing to boards like this do not mix much with 'average Thai' in that we are here for a good time and then gone.

I do think that this is an interesting thread however as I wonder when they will stop closing down the entertainment industry days at a time because of religious and royal reasons. The recent debate over the death of the Patriarch when they were initially looking at a three week mourning phase threw this into sharp relief. There must surely be a section of the civil service that sees this as a potential disaster in a country where for so many no work means no pay.

In the recent past, some people have got there knickers in a twist trying to second guess what the "mourning period" will mean for businesses before the authorities have disseminated their "advice" ... in the cases of the Patriarch (two weeks for Somchai Bloggs and one month for government/civil service employees) and the Princess Mother, I doubt if anyone in the Civil Service viewed the actual periods as a disaster for anyone.

Other than the (fairly infrequent) mourning periods (in practical terms, usually amounting to a couple of days for the entertainment industry), what other "religious and royal reasons" do you have in mind that amount to "potential disasters"? :clueless

Edited by CheshireTom

In the recent past, some people have got there knickers in a twist trying to second guess what the "mourning period" will mean for businesses before the authorities have disseminated their "advice" ... in the cases of the Patriarch (two weeks for Somchai Bloggs and one month for government/civil service employees) and the Princess Mother, I doubt if anyone in the Civil Service viewed the actual periods as a disaster for anyone.

Other than the (fairly infrequent) mourning periods (in practical terms, usually amounting to a couple of days for the entertainment industry), what other "religious and royal reasons" do you have in mind that amount to "potential disasters"? :clueless

Are there any closures or restrictions coming up :clueless

There are a few Ministerial places closed and driving restrictions in Bangkok.....

I think it's obvious to anyone living here that mongers are a small minority of the tourism economy, they tend to not spend money in ways that are taxed, and in essence, are a blip on the economy that wouldn't be missed except by the girls who make their living catering to them...also a tiny minority of the population.

Face it, we don't matter much.

Martin - I think you are right in respect of 'the girls' but surely you pay taxes ???? And surely the hotels and restaurants etc that the mongers use pay tax ???? And mongers do shop as well as 'bar fine'

That is a totally naïve question as we all know that there will be a time in the future when none of us will want to be in Thailand for a holiday. I was in Pattaya when the Kings sister died and that was bad enough.

Mongers contribution? Walked along new beach walkway this mornin, I'm staying down soi 2 end. Old aged mongers 'OAMs' (just like me) outnumbered by group after group of chinese waiting to get into speed boats (and there are fucking lots of those!). OAMs with girlfriend in hand outnumbered by european couples and young good looking svetlanas with boy friend in hand. In noodle eight yesterday in Big C, pair of Russian mums noshing down. Later, different russian mum walks in, sits down and cross questions waitress in russian about menu (which had pics!), couldn't get a response from the waitress at all so stupid woman flounced out in a huff, giving me a look like 'arent they useless' because I had been staring and maybe thought I was russky.

I think our days are numbered...

Edited by SlipSlopSlap

Martin - I think you are right in respect of 'the girls' but surely you pay taxes ???? And surely the hotels and restaurants etc that the mongers use pay tax ???? And mongers do shop as well as 'bar fine'

Yes, you are correct on hotels, restaurants (in many cases), and shopping in the big malls. I doubt there is much tax paid at the outdoor markets or private vendors who set up and sell for a day.

Taxes are paid on VAT for the alcohol consumed, yes, but many many payments and receipts by hundreds if not thousands of bars are completely cash based and not taxed at all. I doubt there is more than a handful of beer bars that ever pay any taxes on business income.

Larger, licensed entertainment venues do submit half-yearly and yearly tax reports, but from what I have seen, the accountants can be quite creative, and what is reported bears little relation to the reality...whatever that is.

Tax compliance in this country is a joke, and I, for one, am quite happy with that situation. However, from a government standpoint, it does nothing to improve their opinion of this segment of the tourist business.

Have you ever met a Thai girl who works in a bar as a hostess/dancer/bar girl who reports her tips, lady drinks, and fees from customers? I certainly haven't.

That is a totally naïve question as we all know that there will be a time in the future when none of us will want to be in Thailand for a holiday. I was in Pattaya when the Kings sister died and that was bad enough.

LOL. When that day comes, not being able to get a beer or a barfine will most likely be the least of your problems. Just bring plenty of All-Black tops with you and you should be ok. :ninja:

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1

Taxes are paid on VAT for the alcohol consumed, yes, but many many payments and receipts by hundreds if not thousands of bars are completely cash based and not taxed at all. I doubt there is more than a handful of beer bars that ever pay any taxes on business income.

There is a huge cash economy in Thailand. Bars are only the tip of the iceberg. It's not worth trying to tax it as most thais earn less than the equivalent of the tax free threshold and if they were to tax it though the whole country would revolt. For example, most businesses, vendors etc are set up as a thai small business, pretty much they only have to pay for their registration and licence fees in order to trade. No VAT collected. no payroll tax, no income tax...

To counter balance this they also look highly upon people with a lot of money. How that money was earned, and what your mongering habits are, become lesser issues.

I remember reading an article about American tourist's that started traveling right after WW 2,around the late 50's,lot of ex-GI's went to France,Japan w/ there family's an the french just hated us and the term "The Ugly American"was started from the way different nationalities saw us thru their eyes.

• Upvote 1

I remember reading an article about American tourist's that started traveling right after WW 2,around the late 50's,lot of ex-GI's went to France,Japan w/ there family's an the french just hated us and the term "The Ugly American"was started from the way different nationalities saw us thru their eyes.

During WW2 there was some hostility in the UK. They were described as being.... 'overpaid, oversexed and over here'. No doubt there was a fair bit of jealousy as British girls were interested in them...both for their obvious differences (looks, accent, manner, dress) and the money they would throw around.

Probably worse for the French who had to be liberated and who had a bigger culture clash.

When that day comes, not being able to get a beer or a barfine will most likely be the least of your problems.

So,when the big clogs are popped,how drastic might the situation get for visitors?

In the DD thread,TTT rambled on about 100 days of mourning and a "year of darkness" when You Know Who shuffles off the mortal coil.

How bad can it get?

When that day comes, not being able to get a beer or a barfine will most likely be the least of your problems. Just bring plenty of All-Black tops with you and you should be ok. :ninja:

Uh, ah--wouldn't away kit be more in order in Thailand? May you live in interesting times.

So,when the big clogs are popped,how drastic might the situation get for visitors?

In the DD thread,TTT rambled on about 100 days of mourning and a "year of darkness" when You Know Who shuffles off the mortal coil.

How bad can it get?

No-one really knows for sure - there isn't a modern day precedent and it's a taboo subject in polite conversation.

What subsequently happens in the country is what concerns me more.

Edited by CheshireTom

Valentine's Day. Sale of Alcohol banned except in the nicer hotels. Bit of a bummer for those who planned to treat their teelack to a night out at The Bamboo. 1luv