Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Beach Road Promenade Extension

It looks like the newly repaved and redesigned promenade along Beach Road is being fitted with a wood extension. The addition is about 5 feet wide in most places with a railing, and looks quite nice. It remains to be seen if it will be fitted throughout the length of the road or just in a few places.

The railing does give a support for girls to lean against and, who knows, maybe some benches will also be installed later?

There seems to be some urgency to the work, because they have been working in the evenings also.

WP_20131212_001.jpg

WP_20131212_002.jpg

It's a fucking joke really , the work was supposed to be completed by the end of November ready for high season , but as you can see it's nowhere near and may take another 6 months , but.....TIT .

I actually recon they have done well considering, if it was the UK they would still be waiting planning permission and it is definately an improvement on both the road and pavement

• Upvote 1

I actually recon they have done well considering, if it was the UK they would still be waiting planning permission and it is definately an improvement on both the road and pavement

As i have said before , i still think its a waste of time and money , beach road and the promenade were perfectly ok before they came up with this idea and said it would be a great improvement , if anything it's worse now especially the prom with all those big mature trees they hacked down gone and replaced with feathers , also when ever i have passed through , there never seems to be anybody working , they just sit around shooting the shit and drinking......!

Will make a nice night shelter for the homely bums that hang about that area.

Give it a year to 18 months before the effects of sun, salt and water see the whole thing falling apart.

It's a fucking joke really , the work was supposed to be completed by the end of November ready for high season , but as you can see it's nowhere near and may take another 6 months , but.....TIT .

It is still an absolute mess at the Walking Street end where walkers suddenly have nowhere to go.

There is a patch just South of Klang that has been dug up and is obviously going to be restoned.

As to the decking.... I am not sure what the hell is going on...... the road gets widened, a complete waste of time .... and then they decide to take over part of the beach, which isn't wide enough as it is.

I believe they just want more space to set up all the stalls during the festival weekends!

Edited by jacko

They are adding speed humps now. Several spots on beach road now have the new right lane closed while the cement is drying.

I wonder if this was an afterthought as a result of the speeding tourist killing someone on Jomtien's beach road.

They are adding speed humps now. Several spots on beach road now have the new right lane closed while the cement is drying.

I wonder if this was an afterthought as a result of the speeding tourist killing someone on Jomtien's beach road.

A woman also died on Beach Road recently. She emerged from one of the sois on a motorcycle, probably without looking which seems normal here, and was struck by an oncoming motorcycle.

Will make a nice night shelter for the homely bums that hang about that area.

Give it a year to 18 months before the effects of sun, salt and water see the whole thing falling apart.

Never mind the bums , some of the less attractive beach road girls will undoubtedly make it there little knocking shop , put a couple of deck chairs under there and you have got an instant service station , will bring a whole new meaning to the drifters song " Under the boardwalk "...... :a2m........ :whistling:

A woman also died on Beach Road recently. She emerged from one of the sois on a motorcycle, probably without looking which seems normal here, and was struck by an oncoming motorcycle.

Yes, this does appear normal. I guess they leave it into the hands of fate. Today I was riding out of soi 13 turning onto Beach Rd. As I slowed down to check the oncoming traffic, a guy zoomed by me on the left right into traffic.

It's no wonder Asian drivers have a bad reputation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKcSZfY1sf4

bratpack, on 13 Dec 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

The decking needs a good quality,exterior stain,to protect the wood from the elements,but somehow i doubt they will do it,some very nice colours for exterior nowadays

Looks like pressure treated wood to me. Only stain it needs is one of my spunk stains.

You have to wonder if more pedestrians will be at risk as the M/C taxis will try and dodge the speed bumps by swinging towards the kerb!

Fuck it, close the whole stretch to traffic and let's have another market!

You have to wonder if more pedestrians will be at risk as the M/C taxis will try and dodge the speed bumps by swinging towards the kerb!

A market makes it hard for the working girls. Some of them just go home at times when there is an extended market.

If you want to pray, then just pray for a traffic closure, though that may not stop the motorcyclists. Copacabana is a wonderful example of what a traffic closure (Sundays) can do to enhance pedestrian pleasure. And they do not allow the road to be overrun by stalls.

A few average sized Yanks standing on it together and it's all over.

Darn, I hadn't thought of it collapsing, perhaps when a lot of people are stood on it, like a poorly built spectator stand.

Have to take a closer look how well it is put together next opportunity, for what I could see Friday night it looked pretty good though.

The speed humps go all the way to the kerb, so the M/C taxies will not be able to avoid them. However, they are large humps. I suspect the plateau will be used as a zebra crossing as it is probably about two meters or more wide. But it makes for a convenient ramp for the M/C taxis to drive on up to the sidewalk, so you might find more motorcycles up there than one would expect (In Thailand, the expectation sadly is not zero).

I'm not sure what others are seeing regarding the quality of the decking. I think it looks sturdy. The biggest possible issue is how the L brackets are attached to the concrete supporting the deck, but there are no pictures of it so no one can state whether it was done correctly or not.

Edited by BeerBelly
  • Upvote 1

The speed humps go all the way to the kerb, so the M/C taxies will not be able to avoid them. However, they are large humps. I suspect the plateau will be used as a zebra crossing as it is probably about two meters or more wide. But it makes for a convenient ramp for the M/C taxis to drive on up to the sidewalk, so you might find more motorcycles up there than one would expect (In Thailand, the expectation sadly is not zero).

I'm not sure what others are seeing regarding the quality of the decking. I think it looks sturdy. The biggest possible issue is how the L brackets are attached to the concrete supporting the deck, but there are no pictures of it so no one can state whether it was done correctly or not.

doesn't look sturdy enough for those holiday weekends when beach road is full of stalls and pedestrians.

Wait for the news headlines.......".30 Tourists badly injured as beach road boardwalk collapses "

I think you will be seeing something like this within a year or so........ :yikes:

Sent from my IPHONE 5S using Tappy Wappy Talky Talky

Wait for the news headlines.......".30 Tourists badly injured as beach road boardwalk collapses "

I think you will be seeing something like this within a year or so........ :yikes:

Sent from my IPHONE 5S using Tappy Wappy Talky Talky

What about the fireworks display, 60 tourists burnt alive from falling loy kratongs,and rockets :llaugh