Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Sleeper train to Chang Mai

Saw something on a travel show here on tv about the over night sleeper train to Chang Mai. Wasn't much info given, just the presenter sitting in bar and then heading off to bed. Anyone travelled by the sleeper train to Chang Mai able to shed any light on the trip? IE worth doing, avoid like the plague or whatever!

Had a look on Platform 61 (train travel website) and it doesn't look too expensive to do the trip.

Was thinking of then flying Chang Mai to Khon Kaen, spending a few days in the area and then flying Khon Kaen back too BKK. Any info would be appreciated.

Saw something on a travel show here on tv about the over night sleeper train to Chang Mai. Wasn't much info given, just the presenter sitting in bar and then heading off to bed. Anyone travelled by the sleeper train to Chang Mai able to shed any light on the trip? IE worth doing, avoid like the plague or whatever!

Had a look on Platform 61 (train travel website) and it doesn't look too expensive to do the trip.

Was thinking of then flying Chang Mai to Khon Kaen, spending a few days in the area and then flying Khon Kaen back too BKK. Any info would be appreciated.

There have been several derailments on the route recently. Personally, given the cost of flights on that particular route, I'd give the train a miss.

I too am considering this trip, so will be interested in this thread.

I did take the overnight sleeper fron Bangkok to Butterworth (for Penang) and found it very comfortable as well as cheap. The onboard food service wasn't brilliant, but as I wasn't expecting much I wasn't really disappointed.

I did it like 10 years ago , they made the bunks op @ 8 o clock so seating was cramped and the bunks are not designed with falang in mind.

Saw a lot of suitcases in the isle so pack light or take a chain and padlock with u.

Now i would def. fly in or travel by car.

One of the reasons for me to take the train was to see more of the country and since the trip was in the dark that didn't work out.

Frank

^^^^

They have purchased some newer used trains from Japan within the last 10 years or so but not all cars are the same.

To the op, I've done it and the overnight was quite relaxing and a nice experience overall but I absolutely hated the daytime return trip. The food is far better than cattle class on an airline.

Did you see this page?

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#.Uq1zMvRDuao

Ahh yes hehe I quoted wrong website, was Seat61 not platform61 :)

Only planning on the one way trip to Chang Mai, as I like train travel (have travelled on the overnight sleeper Nairobi to Mombassa, Trans Karoo Express and the Blue Train and caught sleeper from Orlando to New York) then flying to Khon Kaen. Price for 1st class 1453 baht compared to 2310 baht one way from BKK to Chang Mai via plane, so is relatively cheaper than flying. But mainly want to do it for the experience.

Ahh yes hehe I quoted wrong website, was Seat61 not platform61 :)

Price for 1st class 1453 baht compared to 2310 baht one way from BKK to Chang Mai via plane, so is relatively cheaper than flying.

When are you flying?

I did this trip some years back with my then Thai GF. It was nice and sex in the train was fun (we did need to be quiet). I am not sure I would do it alone, but it was a fun trip with her. If I was going alone I would just fly.

I did this trip around Nov 2000 so my experience could be outdated but my two cents worth.

The first class sleeper train had only one coach and there were 5 of us. We were able to get tickets about a week in advance but our first choice of dates were sold out. We took the train leaving around dusk from Bangkok so didn't get to see much in the way of scenery.

We got to Chiang Mai in the morning so we did save a nights lodging on the deal. I was able to sleep a good part of the trip but do recall numerous stops along the way. The setup was an upper bunk and a lower bunk per cabin with a small bathroom between every two cabins so you got a good amount of privacy. The trip I just took from Hua Hin to Bangkok was a second class sleeper with just curtains to separate you from the crowd and two bathrooms at the end of the car. They sold tickets for upper bunk and lower bunks with a slightly lower price for the upper and I suspect that was the case to Chiang Mai but I am not sure since we just asked for 5 tickets, Unless you are traveling with someone, or pay for both bunks, you will most likely have a cabin mate. The unattached 5th person in our group had another Western passenger, ex military, and they spent all night drinking in the train. He had a great time but was not ready for the day when we arrived lol. Going back, we all flew and I recall the tickets for the plane were just slightly more then the train (a few hundred baht). All things considered, the trip to Chiang Mai was nice and was on time, the trip from Hua Hin was a never to repeat adventure. It could be the 13 year difference in trips gave the system enough time to degrade to the point I would never do it again.

Was looking at 16th February 2014. Used the Thai Airways website to obtain the price for the flight BKK to Chang Mai

I have done the night trip up to Chiang Mai (and only in the last few years). I took a 2nd class ride and enjoyed it immensely. The reason I chose 2nd class was that it gave an opportunity to meet all sorts of characters from a large range of countries, and my girlfriend of the time and I had a ball. If you are alone, get a bottom bunk - it is bigger and the view from the window is quite stunning in the morning. The top bunk is smaller and has no window, but it gets a bit more ventilation from the fans. My girl chose the top bunk, but there was enough room in the bottom one for her to climb down in the morning and share some morning glory, then watch the view go by. We bought our food at Hua Lumphong station prior to boarding, but bought beer from the porters. Be careful though - buy the one drink and ensure you tell them you are only buying them one, otherwise they can be a bit of a hassle. They can get beer from others! The train is usually late getting into Chiang Mia, but what the hell? Plenty of rip-off taxi drivers at the station on arrival.

I would only recommend it if you have ZERO back problems. I normally consider my back to be ok, but due to few accidents when I was younger, it ain't the best it could be.

That train ride tore me UP bad. I could hardly walk when I climbed down from the 'bed'.

Was looking at 16th February 2014. Used the Thai Airways website to obtain the price for the flight BKK to Chang Mai

Fly on the 17th and AirAsia, Nok and LionAir all have flights under 1,500 Baht incl at decent times.

Ive done it......but that was in the 80s!

I used to spend my winters in Thailand. Every year Id go to Koh Samui from November to March/April. I would get the train down to Surat Thani, Then a bus to the port and a baot over to Samui.

Twice I also got the sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I thought they were great then! (I was in my 20s then!).

Id love to get the sleeper train again ......one day one day!

I obviously have no "recent" knowledge". but I thought they were great!(years ago!)....... You would get your bed made up, and be able to get a few hours sleep!

Did it last year and could only get second class. We flew back. Not what I would call a great adventure. Bloody thing was hours late getting in . If I could have got first class maybe different though.