Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 263 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

It's Christmas morning and you're arguing/discussing/fighting over bloody chips! 4 pages!

Give it a rest and move on, guys!!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are not debating you are arguing and trying to force your opinion down everyone's throat, the only pratt here is you.

Just for giggles, since I have a fair amount of experience working in American french fry plants (we really should be discussing bar girls not French fries). The fries that are mass produced and froz

This place was posted on the net a few weeks ago and it was frozen chips, very small portions and it looked shite. You need to up your game if you want to win people over and start by making home made

Posted Images

It's Christmas morning and you're arguing/discussing/fighting over bloody chips! 4 pages!

Give it a rest and move on, guys!!

I'm hoping it goes on long enough for someone to report back about how they tasted, 'cus darn it, now I'm curious.

Chips in the UK are fat sections of potatoes deep fried. Chips in the USA come in a sealed bag, the most popular brand are Lays, owned by Pepsico. French fries in the USA are called skinny chips by Brits. Most Americans just call them fries and some still call them French fries. Personally I like my fries fairly crispy and not mushy inside.

ADDED - I think McDonalds and Burger KIng fries are very good.

Edited by Gary

The chips at Simons look rancid.

That's the problem with food many westerners want nowadays. Appearance over flavour / quality.

How about - The guys peels spuds, then freezes them. It would keep everybody happy!

Just for giggles, since I have a fair amount of experience working in American french fry plants (we really should be discussing bar girls not French fries). The fries that are mass produced and frozen, have the starch stripped out and re-introduced in the process of making the fries. The reason is because the natural distribution of the starch in the potatoes is not uniform. The process makes the starch content uniform. That is how they get the golden brown color evenly across the entire fry. If you just cut potatoes and fry them you get dark spots due to differing starch concentrations. Nothing wrong with that, but many people (at least Americans) think there is a problem because natural cut fries look different.

Otherwise the fries are partly cooked and frozen. The cooking is (or should be at least) completed before consuming. Because the mass produced fries have tighter quality control the color and crunch is more consistent over all. I find the quality of fresh cut fries varies a lot from place to place.

• Upvote 3

Dare I mention frozen chips which are then oven-baked.

Lower oil content so 'healthy'......

When I was a kid all the chippies peeled and cut their own spuds (most of them had a machine like a hand press for cutting them so to hell with the hand cut part), then deep fried in lard! Tasted good mostly due to liberal salting, but men (who also smoked ) often died in their 50s!

I rarely eat fish and chips here, mainly after a few plates whereby what appeared to be a nice large well battered fish seemed to have a mush inside instead of flakes of fish. Likely some 2 headed freshwater fish, not a grouper.

What condition are these 'Fresh' spuds in by the time they get fried and served? So far on this thread I've read that the spuds come from Holland. Someone else says they're from either China or Chang Mai and are just called Dutch (not really from Holland). I've heard Idaho mentioned.

I'm thinking the cooked from frozen chips will be healthier AND taste better than 'Fresh' spuds peeled and chipped.

Fatboyfat, on 27 Dec 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

Are those things in MacDonalds, Burger King etc actually made of potato?

I remember stories years ago that they weren't made from Potato. Could have been a nasty smear campaign by disgruntled Chippies.

I see the OPs restaurant is now on Door2Door. Good move, from a business point of view. LOL Maybe Bigmick could have his delivered in a coolbox, for home-cooking?!

I peel my own and make them at home when I want them, none of that frozen shite.

I see the OPs restaurant is now on Door2Door. Good move, from a business point of view. LOL Maybe Bigmick could have his delivered in a coolbox, for home-cooking?!

• Downvote 1

Because i buy the same ones from Macro

I peel my own and make them at home when I want them, none of that frozen shite.

lmao. so you peel open the plastic bag then toss them in the deep fryer... I guess technically that is making them yourself at home.

Edited by Fondles
  • Upvote 1

I remember stories years ago that they weren't made from Potato. Could have been a nasty smear campaign by disgruntled Chippies.

I can assure you the McDonald, Burger King fries are indeed made from potatoes.

• Upvote 1

So there's the dilemma for a new Pattaya chippie. Serve real gear, or pander to the brainwashed majority, who think that McD's and BK's food is anywhere near palatable , and sell modified , but pretty frankenstein food?

imho though, you would need to be bonkers to buy Brit food in possibly THE best food place in the world.

Dare I mention frozen chips which are then oven-baked.

Lower oil content so 'healthy'......

When I was a kid all the chippies peeled and cut their own spuds (most of them had a machine like a hand press for cutting them so to hell with the hand cut part), then deep fried in lard! Tasted good mostly due to liberal salting, but men (who also smoked ) often died in their 50s!

When I think of really tasty french fries from my past, it's crinkle cut, high fat, straight from the deep frier (although probably not lard) with lots of salt. Probably haven't had them since the last extended period of time I spent in my home town, which was almost 30 years ago. Needless to say, heart disease was the traditional way to shuffle off this mortal coil. :(

I tried the chippy in soi lengkee at least 3 times on my last visit and each time the fish and chips were excellent and they had a few specials on the board that were bringing in the punters they looked real chips to me.

Most of the more notable chefs in the UK all say that the secret to perfect fish & chips (apart from the obvious quality and freshness of the fish) is down to the cooking medium;…And animal fats (lard) is the best option available. However I only know of a few places around the Grimsby/Cleethorpes/Hull area and a couple of top fish restaurants in Scotland that still cook it that way, oh and Rick Stein's places, obviously. Well worth a detour IMHO, but not to be noshed on a regular basis!

I can assure you the McDonald, Burger King fries are indeed made from potatoes.

I know that In and Out burger chain serves non frozen fries. Excellent burgers and fries. 5 Guys burgers is another chain that serves excellent fries and burgers and they have big bags of unpeeled potatoes on display in there stores.