Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Are the shisha pictures prior to the crackdown? Or are they still openly selling shisha in Bangkok?

El Gaucho seems to be the expat favorite for steaks in Bangkok..been meaning to go there sometime myself.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pics from the farang ghetto, the 'Hood. Ideally situated half way between Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy, an oasis in lower Sukhumvit. Upscale restaruants (17% added to your bill is the norm), trendy dis

I took a walk down Soi 11 yesterday, my old neighborhood.  I took along the Nikon ZfC, my street photography camera, and everyone thought I was a tourist. ?     I knew it was only

I took a walk up Soi 11 last night, hungry for a burger.  I usually visit Bang Bang Burger but wanted to try Artisan Burger next door this time.  It was Tuesday but the Soi was alive.  

Posted Images

I think the shisha crackdown is from a local ordinance. A shrewd Bangkok bar manager could probably recruit half the girls from Soi 6 about now.

Edited by RhinoTusk
  • Upvote 1

we are in bangkok for 2 nights end of july.is this the best street for a pub crawl for me and my partner,it will be a sunday night.

tommy and alison.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

On Sukhumvit at Soi 10, Chuwit Garden is to be replaced by a mall. It's a pity since there's not a lot of open space around. Formerly known as Sukhumvit Square, populated by bars and GoGos when purchased by Chuwit Kamolvisit. Does anyone remember? He hired a few hundred thugs to demolish the businesses at 4 AM Jan 26, 2003 to dispel the tenants.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/01/18/sukhumvits-chuvit-garden-paved-mall/

DSC_8633.jpg

DSC_8626.jpg

DSC_8646.jpg

I recall enjoying a cigar on the gazebo in the back (before I realized no smoking was permitted).

DSC_8651.jpg

DSC_8658.jpg

Meanwhile, construction on the Q House at Soi 6 coming along nicely. Asking price for a condo starts at 30 million.

DSC_8665.jpg

This was the state of construction 2 years ago

DSC_4238.jpg

Much slower pace across the street where the new Hyatt Regency is being constructed between Soi 11 and Soi 13. They've been at this for 6 years! The new hotel is due to open the second half of this year.

https://bangkoksukhumvit.regency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

DSC_8664.jpg

DSC_8611.jpg

DSC_8609.jpg

The 'Hood is changing. Stay tuned.

Edited by RhinoTusk
  • Upvote 4

The Mystery of the Missing Massage Shops

Adjacent Villa Market were a sequence of shops starting with an Indian Restaurant and ending with a hair salon, with 8 small massage shops (all offering happy endings) in between. The massage shops were open until 3-4 AM.

DSC_8695.jpg

DSC_8691.jpg

Last month, all the massage shops closed, but not by any police action. Evidently, leases expired and the businesses were forced to move, but only the massage shops, all other businesses remained.

DSC_8694.jpg

Furthermore, an additional 10 massage shops behind Villa Market closed, while another two restaurants, a travel agency, and another hair salon remained.

DSC_8685.jpg

A short distance away, another 3 massage shops closed between the Bangkok Bank and the pharmacy. In summary, over 20 massage shops closed last month, while the 6 other businesses intermixed remained open (3 restaurants, a travel agency, and 2 hair salons) .

DSC_8929.jpg

Bummer!

Edited by RhinoTusk
  • Upvote 3

Good photos that I really appreciate as I have spent so much time in these areas over the years. Things are changing so quickly these days on Sukhumvit. A shame about Cheap Charlies but great to see it has reopened in On Nut near to where I often stay when I'm in Bangkok. I know On Nut very well and will be sure to pop in to their new location the next time I'm in Bangkok.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

If you can tolerate 3 flights of stairs there's an interesting and inexpensive rooftop place on top of Hemingway. Draft Leo pints for 65 Baht from 6pm to 8pm.

IMG_9072.JPG

IMG_9074.JPGIMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9078.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Heaven Above style neck breakers!:P

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
On 3/23/2022 at 4:55 PM, RhinoTusk said:

Apokeka has been closed two years, I used to go there for live music.?

I have fond memories of this small place with the live music it was in there I agreed with my then boss to my first contract to work here in Thailand in 2015. Sorry to hear it’s not opened back up.

8 hours ago, Broughton said:

I have fond memories of this small place with the live music it was in there I agreed with my then boss to my first contract to work here in Thailand in 2015. Sorry to hear it’s not opened back up.

I stated it closed for two years, actually it’s only one year.  Their website shows the last time.

5FCD7965-A997-4C15-86A5-72D81B0F7D07.jpeg