Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I came by Naklua today and they have opened up the roundabout to motorcycles again, all this after a tragic death on this roundabout several months back made them close it. When will they ever learn.

I came by Naklua today and they have opened up the roundabout to motorcycles again, all this after a tragic death on this roundabout several months back made them close it. When will they ever learn.

Good!

Didn't closing it require southbound traffic from Naklua who wanted to use Beach Road require a U-Turn up a ways on Pattaya Nua?

• Upvote 1

A roundabout is a really safe choice ( it was introduced because of this ) if people play by the rules...if people ignore the rules no matter roundabout or not, it will be a chaos...even bigger chaos if the rules works for the motorbykes and not for the cars... the more complicated rules, the more dangerous situations.... When a mad truck enter in a roundabout or not roundabout... just like a tank...the tragedy is guaranteed....

• Downvote 1

A roundabout is a really safe choice ( it was introduced because of this ) if people play by the rules...if people ignore the rules no matter roundabout or not, it will be a chaos...even bigger chaos if the rules works for the motorbykes and not for the cars... the more complicated rules, the more dangerous situations.... When a mad truck enter in a roundabout or not roundabout... just like a tank...the tragedy is guaranteed....

Especially when the driver is "Tanked Up"

Your forgetting one thing Gabor.......Thai's don't no the meaning of the word.....Rules.....!

The trouble is; it's the only roundabout many of these Thai drivers/riders ever see. They don't know how to deal with it. :o

The normal roundabout etiquette that we all do automatically is virtually unknown there. In Pattaya at least - there may be a lot of roundabouts in other parts of Thailand, I only really know Pattaya.

100 day mourning period?

Duh....but nobody drives according to rules in Thailand.

I think its been a bit more than that, but its only a matter of time before another young person is killed because of the inability of Thais to use the roundabout correctly.

100 day mourning period?

• Upvote 1

I'm with MM on this one. To block off a roundabout in the way that they did was ridiculous, accident or no accident. Motorcycles driving on the wrong side of the road, against the traffic would appear to be a bigger killer than roundabout etiquette. If they are that worried about a roundabout they should have replaced it with yet another set of lights.

• Upvote 1

Whatever is there - roundabout, lights , etc - it will not matter until correct driving rules are drummed into their thick heads . My wife , who does the most of our driving ,is a good driver in terms of Thai drivers , but even she has some peculiar logic that I cannot change . When we go to the UK , I do all the driving because the thought of her applying Thai standards to UK roads fills me with horror . Such things as 'Give way to the right ' have no meaning to her . But how do you teach the masses here when even the police ignore basic common-sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm with MM on this one. To block off a roundabout in the way that they did was ridiculous, accident or no accident. Motorcycles driving on the wrong side of the road, against the traffic would appear to be a bigger killer than roundabout etiquette. If they are that worried about a roundabout they should have replaced it with yet another set of lights.

I remember reading that they do plan to put lights there. Here is an article I just found.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/traffic-lights-coming-to-dolphin-roundabout-32708

Good Grief ! At least they aren't trying to apply the "Milton _Keynes" abortions, where the traffic reverses direction around each of the mini-roundabouts!

This is nuts, they don't say that you can't turn left onto 2nd road and it gives the impression you got to do some kind of break dancing all the way round

Credit to the City planning people ... they have contracted out the design of the new, safer roundabout to a team of British consultants ...

attachicon.gifdolphin.jpg

Good Grief ! At least they aren't trying to apply the "Milton _Keynes" abortions, where the traffic reverses direction around each of the mini-roundabouts!

I think you may have you towns mixed up. Perhaps you meant hemel hempstead, maybe even swindon but not milton keynes.

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

I think you may have you towns mixed up. Perhaps you meant hemel hempstead, maybe even swindon but not milton keynes.

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

You are right ; Hemel Hempstead is where I was thinking of. Also I notice CTs submission is a photoshopped version of the actual Swindon version.

LOL… Milton Keynes has enough ridicule to put up with, without one of those crackpot schemes !!!!

This is nuts, they don't say that you can't turn left onto 2nd road and it gives the impression you got to do some kind of break dancing all the way round

The City Council is appreciative of your valuable input. :thumbup

Having lived there, I'm very familiar with the so-called "Magic Roundabout" in Hemel Hempstead. It was a brilliant innovation, and works very well. Definitely not for Thais though, it would phase them completely as it takes a bit of common consideration for others plus forethought to negotiate smoothly.

IMO a roundabout is not appropriate anyway at the Dolphin intersection, as normal roundabout rules can't be applied there - the traffic pouring off Nua to get to Beach Road or Naklua all the time, i.e. having right of way, would hardly ever let traffic coming from 2nd Road onto the roundabout if those drivers didn't push forward aggressively and defeat the object of having one. A roundabout simply doesn't work there, blocking traffic coming from Naklua and forcing it to turn left onto Nua merely causes U-turn mayhem further up Nua and is a half-hearted measure. I predict traffic-lights fairly soon.

• Upvote 1

Normal service has been resumed!!

DSCN2557 - Version 2a.jpg

Apparently they had taken some of the concrete barriers away and replaced them with moveable metal barriers but also left a large gap that bikes could fit through, although I never saw anyone ride through them. This was to facilitate them erecting a picture of the King and have now closed the gap and replaced all the concrete blocks around the roundabout.

All is well with the world!

KM

• Upvote 1