Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

ED Visas..... stricter requirements.

Thai-visa just alerted me to this......as the ED Visa has been subject to abuse.

The new forms are available there too.

Thai Visa

I seem to recall a US veteran that got his college degree using GI benefits by attending an online US university while living in Thailand on an ED visa.

Frankly, I thought it worked out very well for all involved. Although he didn't spend heaps of money while studying, he will spend the rest of his life bragging about his adventures in Thailand thus generating tourist revenue.

• 1 month later...

The Thai government are looking to see how people on education visa's are supporting themselves financially as, legally speaking, they are not working. The visa businesses i have spoke with have increased their's fee's by 2-3k to cover the extra paperwork required

The Student Visas were/are being exploited to enable you to stay in LOS without having to do visa runs, were/are they not?

Exploted just like the UK Student visas are.

Bogus schools set up to allow dodgy immigrants illegal entry.

The Student Visas were/are being exploited to enable you to stay in LOS without having to do visa runs, were/are they not?

Exploted just like the UK Student visas are.

Bogus schools set up to allow dodgy immigrants illegal entry.

Not as exploited as the UK. You had to actually study Thai stuff. And you couldn't work on the side, then claim assylum.

Obsession, on 01 Feb 2014 - 01:49 AM, said:

Not as exploited as the UK. You had to actually study Thai stuff. And you couldn't work on the side, then claim assylum.

I didn't enquire because I had no need for a longterm visa (no plans) but I got the impression all you needed to do was enrol with a bogus school and they would take care of the rest. Just pay up. Same as the UK except you are allowed to work for up to 16 hours/week in the UK?

Dodgy.

I didn't enquire because I had no need for a longterm visa (no plans) but I got the impression all you needed to do was enrol with a bogus school and they would take care of the rest. Just pay up. Same as the UK except you are allowed to work for up to 16 hours/week in the UK?

Dodgy.

AFAIK, you had to learn Thai and study some Thai history, and they checked up on you.

UK - You just need to say you can't go back coz your gay, have a cat etc, and you get a council house, free NHS, education and welfare. easy life!!!

• 6 months later...

Some change have been announced already for ED-Visa

(except for those who studies in real official schools or universities) :

- Extension always will be 90 days max, no more 1 year

- Maximum total duration of stay the will be 1 year (you will have to exit and get a new visa to continue (maybe?))

Some other changes begin to arrive:

- In Bangkok area they announced that the minimum study will be now 8 hours per week (was 4 hours)

Will make it a bit more difficult and expensive for those who still want ED visa.

Edited by Idefix
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hehe, I was actually thinking of doing this...until I found out that I make more money in the United States. I'm guessing you can live comfortably on $1400 USD in Thailand though.