Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

ATMs where you can still withdraw 20,000 baht?

Hi lads,

I've noticed fewer and fewer ATMs allow you to take out more than 10,000 baht at once now. But more withdrawals means more fees.

Anyone know where there are still ATMs with a withdrawal limit of 20,000 baht?

Hi lads,

I've noticed fewer and fewer ATMs allow you to take out more than 10,000 baht at once now. But more withdrawals means more fees.

Anyone know where there are still ATMs with a withdrawal limit of 20,000 baht?

I don't understand this at all. I've never encountered an ATM that doesn't dispense 20,000 baht which is my usual withdrawal amount.

You might be limited by your bank, since you mention fees.

Get a Thai bank account.

Well this is certainly an issue with me too. I tend to withdraw using a card from my bank in Germany. In the last 6 months or so I've found that I can only withdraw 10k rather than any higher amount, as was usual in the past, and have ascribed this not to any new policy on the part of my bank, but to greed for the now 180 Baht that each transaction costs me.

Can't answer LDK's question, would like to know too.

Okay, so we're clear..this isn't about Thai ATM cards, but foreign bank cards. Gotcha.

I've found when using a USA based card that the amount I can withdraw is based on my account withdrawal limit. As the baht dropped over the years, I could withdraw less and less.

Now a 10k hard limit is news to me, but I haven't used a foreign card in some time.

Over the past three months, I've been taking out money from various ATMs around Thailand with my US ATM card and have never encountered a 180 baht fee or a 10,000 baht limit. 150 seems to be the normal fee and Aeon is free. My bank reimburses the fees, so am not too concerned about them.

The only issues I've ever had were once I was hitting my limit too easily when the baht was strong, and just today and yesterday the ATM near my hotel appeared to be out of 1000 baht notes. It has a 30 note limit and the message seemed to indicate it only had 100 baht notes.

I wonder if the 180 baht fee is for European banks.

I also have an overseas card and started out using the banks ATM's at Big C however this same card will only get me 5000 at the BO Siam and 10000 baht next door at the Kasikorn. Therefore my suggestion is for the OP to take some time out and try some test runs on a few banks ATM machines to find out what the best deal is.I am sure that there must be one that will give him what he looks for.

Well this is certainly an issue with me too. I tend to withdraw using a card from my bank in Germany. In the last 6 months or so I've found that I can only withdraw 10k rather than any higher amount, as was usual in the past, and have ascribed this not to any new policy on the part of my bank, but to greed for the now 180 Baht that each transaction costs me.

Can't answer LDK's question, would like to know too.

Do what I do. These days I get the missus to wait in line inside the bank to withdraw money, usually 30 000 THB, which is normally enough to cover our living expenses for a week or longer. I had a bad experience not so long ago at the Kasikorn Bank inside the Harbor Mall at Laem Chabang. I used the ATM to withdraw THB 20 000. I got the money alright, but the machine would not return my debit card. We walked inside the bank and told them about the problem. The usher at the door could not care less and just gave us a number to see a teller. After 5 minutes waiting with many people on front of us, we approached one of the people in charge, asking if it would be possible to get the debit card back from their machine.

The cunt asked me for my passport, which I usually don't carry with me. I showed him my Thai drivers licence, which has my passport number on it. That was not good enough for the cunt. I then asked him if he could cancel my debit card. The prick would not do that either. I then asked him to ring the main Kasikorn office in Bangkok as I did not remember their number. He just refused to help and walked back to his desk.

We then drove back to our place in Jomtien as fast as possible to ring the Kasikorn bank office in Bangkok. They were very good and spoke excellent English, They immediately cancelled my lost debit card, stuck in the ATM at Laem Chababg and told me to go to my bank branch to get issued a new one. I did that and it cost 450 THB for the new card. The 450 THB means nothing to me, but it totally fucked up our trip to the Harbor Mall in Laem Chabang, a place I used to like to do shopping and to relax. I haven't been back there since that episode.

The mistake I made was using the debit card with most of my Thai money in it. I should have used my wife's card or our joint account with a lot less funds in them. You have to be on the ball all of the time in a place like Thailand.

Just in case some people don't know, you sometimes have to go to a second screen on the ATM. Select "other amount." Then you can enter 20,000 baht. And, depending on your account limit, you can do that again and again.

I can usually make do for a day or so with 20,000 baht.

• Upvote 1

Just in case some people don't know, you sometimes have to go to a second screen on the ATM. Select "other amount."  Then you can enter 20,000 baht.  And, depending on your account limit, you can do that again and again.

I was going to mention that but felt nobody could be that clueless...unless they had omitted changing the language to English first!

I wonder if the 180 baht fee is for European banks.

Something to do with either Visa or Mastercard I think.

For years I used a foreign ATM card here, as that was where I wanted to get money out-of.

At the Aeon machines, just drew 20,000 baht... but as the baht appreciated I was squeezed down and it was apparent my limit was being hit.....( a third currency...not $ or £). So your home bank limit comes into play. I once also had a different (lower) limit on a SCB machine. Sometimes the machine has run low on 1000 baht notes.

That foreign ATM facility went away, and now I draw from my Thai account always using the bank's machines. 20kbaht is no problem and I believe by using it multiple times I can get 50k/day.

Edited by jacko

Kasikorn near Tukcom has no problem with 20K Baht, or it didn't less than a month ago.

My withdrawal limit is $2,500 daily but a 20K withdrawal is only about $600.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will try the ATMs at Central Festival today (outside the bank branches) and see how I fare.

It shouldn't be a problem with my withdrawal limit because 20,000 baht is only about $600.

I find the ATM surcharge (after other bank fees, not visible) is 180 baht, not 150 baht, and even the Aeon machine charges it.

Most of the ATMs in the US (at least in my area) limiting withdrawals to $200 (6000 baht) which is really annoying. It used to be much higher but I think they have lowered to amount so that they can collect more fees.

If you have a Citibank credit card and passport you can get a teller cash advance in Bangkok (Asok). Limits there are much higher.

Most of the ATMs in the US (at least in my area) limiting withdrawals to $200 (6000 baht) which is really annoying. It used to be much higher but I think they have lowered to amount so that they can collect more fees.

If you have a Citibank credit card and passport you can get a teller cash advance in Bangkok (Asok). Limits there are much higher.

You can call your bank and have them increase your limit fairly easily. I've done this with Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Charles Schwab, although I think the last one asked what I wanted my limit to be when I opened the account..

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will try the ATMs at Central Festival today (outside the bank branches) and see how I fare.

It shouldn't be a problem with my withdrawal limit because 20,000 baht is only about $600.

I find the ATM surcharge (after other bank fees, not visible) is 180 baht, not 150 baht, and even the Aeon machine charges it.

Interesting. When I used Bank of America, they would charge me $5 for ever withdrawal on top of the fee baht the foreign bank charges which was why I closed the account.

When I withdrawal, the operations are Enter Pin, select English, press withdrawal, select other amount, select current account, enter amount and press correct/OK, then enter Yes when they say there will be a 150 baht fee, collect my cash, then some ATMs ask if I would like a printed receipt, I say yes, then collect my card and receipt.

If you are getting charged 180 baht by using Aeon, I suspect it is your bank imposing the fee, not Aeon.

Also note that I prefer to use an ATM card, not a card with the Visa logo on it. If you are using a Visa Debit card, some US banks charge a fee on top because they treat it like a cash advance. Schwab doesn't have the option to get a simple ATM card, so it has a Visa logo, but as mentioned, I get charged nothing from Schwab and they reimburse the fees imposed by the Thai banks with the caveat that they reimburse a rounded US dollar amount.

Just in case some people don't know, you sometimes have to go to a second screen on the ATM. Select "other amount." Then you can enter 20,000 baht. And, depending on your account limit, you can do that again and again.

Bloody hell, you are spending 20 000 baht in one day? You must be a millionaire or you are here just on a short holiday. :clueless

• Upvote 1

You might be limited by your bank, since you mention fees.

Yeah, I'm betting that's it too.

I put some money in my BKK Bank account while visiting and was able to hit it for 20k at a time, but my card from home would only dispense around 17k/day, due to the limits set by the bank at home.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that all three of my Thai bank accounts survived to 2014, so I will put a little cash in there to keep them going until my next visit.

Bloody hell, you are spending 20 000 baht in one day? You must be a millionaire or you are here just on a short holiday. :clueless

Including flight & accommodation, my trip cost $400/day.

• Upvote 1

Including flight & accommodation, my trip cost $400/day.

When I was a one month tourist many moons ago I used to spend twice that much. :bhappy

When I was a one month tourist many moons ago I used to spend twice that much. :bhappy

Easy to do if you're paying 2k ST in go-gos. I lurk around Soi 6 getting my cock sucked.

• Upvote 1

Easy to do if you're paying 2k ST in go-gos. I lurk around Soi 6 getting my cock sucked.

I think, nothing to do with the LDOP 2k / ST... ( only 500-1000 extras ) it's more to do with the mental wanks - and living in a miserable shoebox guest house - to play the millionaire for the unknown hairy ass farang males...or the worst... woo for the 45 year old mamasans, the rip off artist hellogirls, the farang barowners to get the mental ammunition to justify the 2000 tip for the barfined 40 year old lonely granny... dressed in coyotee clothes, looking like a sausage in it... and the endless row of the ladydrinks for the 79 year old cleaning staff...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

To answer the question, the ATM outside the Family Mart next to the Robins Nest on Soi Diana dispenses 30,000 baht to me if I request that much.

As others have mentioned I did have my bank in the USA raise my daily withdrawal limit.

When you use the ATM they have a quick withdrawal option where you'll see a number of amounts available. Most ATMs around the main tourist areas will offer a maximum of 10000 baht. if you want more select the English button and after choosing the type of account you can enter the amount you want.

Read somewhere that if you use a foreign ATM card with Visa they charge you 150 baht,

but if you use the foreign ATM card with Mastercard they charge you 180 baht!

True or not?

Plahgat