Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Airline miles, rewards & tiers

Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to the relationship between Miles and Tiers, perhaps someone could enlighten me. On Etihad I've got a silver guest card, is that dependant on miles or not? I'd like to use some miles, but don't want to lose that silver card.

Their website doesn't help.

Thanks

On at least some airlines, it depends on how many miles you fly in one year or, perhaps, some longer period.

Most airlines (I know nothing about Etihad), give you a level based on how many miles you travel per year. Once you make a tier you have it for the next year. The number of nor use of any miles in your account has nothing to do with your silver level. Use the miles and have fun. BTW most airlines do not give you credit towards any tier on tickets purchased using miles.

Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to the relationship between Miles and Tiers, perhaps someone could enlighten me. On Etihad I've got a silver guest card, is that dependant on miles or not? I'd like to use some miles, but don't want to lose that silver card.

Their website doesn't help.

Thanks

Depends on usage, normally number of flights in a year to qualify and/or retain tier levels.

You can have a lot of miles in your balance but you will lose silver if you don't buy any qualifying fares for a while.

Mileage tickets do not count.

ANA 50,000 miles a year=Platinum. Upgrade points allows business class upgrades even if you do not have the required miles.

Also you can you use the Lounge with free food, drinks and a shower room. This even with a cheap economy ticket.

More seats are open to advance selection. Platnium will get waitlisted business/first seats before United code shares and the masses.

I have played the game for years since i have a 24 hour trip. The rules can be complicated and differ for each airline, and they can change every year.

Next year i move to LOS and give up, i'll just spend the night at the Hilton in NRT and buy a cheap ticket.

The latest BS the airlines are going to is to add a dollar amount spent. Delta now requires 25000 miles ( or a bunch of short segments) AND $2500 spent on tickets. 50000 /$5000. Gold. 75000 / $7500 Platinum and 125000 / $12,500 for diamond.

As an added insult, the TAX portion does not count....but bagage fees and better seat fees do. LOL.

Using miles has no bearing on status... but you do need to qualify each yaer.

The latest BS the airlines are going to is to add a dollar amount spent. Delta now requires 25000 miles ( or a bunch of short segments) AND $2500 spent on tickets. 50000 /$5000. Gold. 75000 / $7500 Platinum and 125000 / $12,500 for diamond.

As an added insult, the TAX portion does not count....but bagage fees and better seat fees do. LOL.

Using miles has no bearing on status... but you do need to qualify each yaer.

I LOL every year when the airlines tell me they are improving the program and the bastard's add more requirements. I used to fly United almost excursively. Those days are over.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I sucks that UA just increased there RT awards to SE Asia to 80k from NA. I will be flying AA more now as it is only 63k. I will miss Thai Airways though, but Cathay Pacific will ease the pain somewhat.

Edited by skibum77
Guest King_Midas

Thanks folks, I was looking at getting something from their shop, then I saw that I'd have to pay tax and customs on it. The UK government gets you every time. Bastards. :angry2

No you dont........

The Website advises that Duty may be payable but when I spent just over 80,000 worth of Etihad miles on Goods in 2009 all the purchases were actually despatched from the uk

Never paid a brass cent

Edited by King_Midas
  • Downvote 1

No you dont........

The Website advises that Duty may be payable but when I spent just over 80,000 worth of Etihad miles on Goods in 2009 all the purchases were actually despatched from the uk

Never paid a brass cent

Ah well, too late now, I bought elsewhere. I do have 7,000 points expiring in April so I'll use them for something and see what happens.

Thanks

No you dont........

Never paid a brass cent

I just ordered some stuff to use Etihad miles up that were going to expire.

One item was originating in Switzerland, another in Dubai, heading to Thailand........

I hope you are right, I would not have bothered if they want me to pay taxation or give me aggravation over it.

Edited by jacko
Guest King_Midas

I just ordered some stuff to use Etihad miles up that were going to expire.

One item was originating in Switzerland, another in Dubai, heading to Thailand........

I hope you are right, I would not have bothered if they want me to pay taxation or give me aggravation over it.

Yes they do say that it originates from all over but when I received my 5 items, they had all been posted within the Uk with British Despatch Addresses

Now just to spite me...........!!

• Downvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes they do say that it originates from all over but when I received my 5 items, they had all been posted within the Uk with British Despatch Addresses

Now just to spite me...........!!

I see someone is chasing you around giving negatives!

As an update I ordered 2 items.

One arrived via the regular Thai postman ex Switzerland, no taxes or any payment. The other arrived via UPS, ex Dubai, I was hit up for what appeared to be 7% tax on it's value.