Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The madness of Sangkran is well documented , your staying in Pattaya at the time ,What tips can you pass on to help try and keep it fun ?Joe

Edited by gs joe

I stock up and stay around the house mostly.

• Upvote 1

Keep well away from Pattaya if you've got any sense........ :thumbup

Good advice.

I was in Pattaya last Songkran against my better judgement and every time I went out I got soaked to the skin and it went on every day for a week until late in the evening. There is no avoiding it in Pattaya. I will not be here this year, I made sure of that when I booked my flight. Tempers fray and sometimes lead to unpleasant incidents.

It would be tolerable if it was just confined to a few sois for the appropriate couple of days but there's no longer any chance of that. It's madness but not in a funny way for those who object to having buckets of water and sometimes ice cubes thrown at them. You can't stay in all the time so what's the point of coming to Pattaya to be a recluse.

I think most heading here for holiday do so knowing and looking forward to Songkran, for those living and working here its a bloody nightmare. A festival that lasts 2 days in the rest of Thailand is stretched to 7 days in Pattaya, whereas it does not start till midday elsewhere and ends at 6pm Pattaya sees it going on 24 hours a day.

In other areas of Thailand someone on their way to work can smile and acknowledge the celebration and they will be allowed to continue on to work unscathed. In Pattaya the foreigners celebrating a water festival that is not theirs will ignore the persons plight and dump water over them anyway. Do not dress and take your lady out for dinner somewhere even after 9pm thinking you will be ok as there is sure to be a collection of celebrating foreigners outside every bar and on every corner who will ruin you day, which may end in a situation where everyone's day/holiday will be ruined.

Want to join in the true celebration? head into a Thai area/town, its great fun to join in. Pattaya? avoid it like the plague and the morons that spoil it for everybody but their drunken selves.

Edited by Cerberus
  • Upvote 1

I agree with all of the above. Songran day itself is fun, but the week before is a pain in the arse.

How to keep it fun?

Well go and find a bar around soi 6/7/8 and (after getting dumped on) sit down, buy a beer and watch all the passer bys getting dumped on

It's not really that nice, but watching some 6ft, head shaved, tattood english yobbo run out on to beach road and drench a bunch of germans in a baht bus (or russians) can at least mean you are getting some value out of you songran holiday dollar...

On Songran day, get a BF and walk around beach road (they closed it off when I was there) buy a breezer and you will have fun on that day getting all fucked up with water, the white powder shit and the general atmosphere. (Watch out for the large 'bicycle pump' water pistols... they are dangerous...copped one in the ear at close quartes.. Fuck!)

• 4 weeks later...

That has been my mo for the last three years. Before that i would sometimes hop to A/C for the week. May take a trip up into Laos this year, wife and baby permitting :)

Yep stay behind the locked gate of my house. stock up on food/beers/ciggies to get me to end of the madness

Yep stay behind the locked gate of my house. stock up on food/beers/ciggies to get me to end of the madness
Same here..if I need anything, I go to the store late at night.

I caught the beginning of Songkran in BKK one year, or rather it caught me. I love LOS and visit as often as possible but I would refuse a free trip between 10th and 20th April.

It never fails...mention songkran and guys come out of the woodwork to tell all and sundry how much they hate it...doesn't matter that it's a Thai holiday and Thai New Year and that the Thai people love it...it's all about mr. falang....boo hoo!

Songkran is a fabulous party during the hottest time of the year...with Thai people having a hell of a lot of fun....and that's the reasons I go every year...it's fun.

The evening of the 18th (NYE) is one of my favorite evenings of the year.

famous Songkran quote from Mr. Nofun Falang..."please...I don't want to get wet!"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It never fails...mention songkran and guys come out of the woodwork to tell all and sundry how much they hate it...doesn't matter that it's a Thai holiday and Thai New Year and that the Thai people love it...it's all about mr. falang....boo hoo!

Songkran is a fabulous party during the hottest time of the year...with Thai people having a hell of a lot of fun....and that's the reasons I go every year...it's fun.

The evening of the 18th (NYE) is one of my favorite evenings of the year.

famous Songkran quote from Mr. Nofun Falang..."please...I don't want to get wet!"

You wouldn't say that if you got drenched every night when you were on your way pout for an evening meal though would you?

Nobody is denying its a Thai holiday, so let them wet ONLY Thai people!

keaw jai mai

• Downvote 1

You wouldn't say that if you got drenched every night when you were on your way pout for an evening meal though would you?

Nobody is denying its a Thai holiday, so let them wet ONLY Thai people!

keaw jai mai

this will be my 10th songkran....you should stay home.

bah humbug jonsey..."don't get my black socks and new sandals wet."

Im okay with 1, 2 or 3 days - and so is the rest of Thailand, but Pattaya has to ruin it.

Telling the same joke over and over again...............

Its not that funny first time around

What about all the deaths on the road? Not funny at all!

We are over on holidays this year for Songkran but fortunately will be up in the village in Chaiyaphum where celebrations are much more subdued than Pattaya.

Still have to take the hearing aid off in case it gets wet but up in the boonies doesn't matter, no-one speaks English anyway. :bhappy

The madness of Sangkran is well documented , your staying in Pattaya at the time ,What tips can you pass on to help try and keep it fun ?Joe

I can think of only 3 ways that someone can keep Songkran fun, and that is either you are fully into it, or stay home or get out of the country during Songkran :smile:

I would rather visit the bars totally dry, but with Songkran, no matter how careful you are, you're likely to get wet by someone dumping water on you.

Edited by whitney