Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Libraries of second hand bookshops

There use to be a shop on the 2nd floor above the TOPs market at the corner of Second Rd. and Pattaya Klang. I'm guessing that it's still there but to be honest, I haven't been up there in the past few years...

There use to be a shop on the 2nd floor above the TOPs market at the corner of Second Rd. and Pattaya Klang. I'm guessing that it's still there but to be honest, I haven't been up there in the past few years...

Did you get a Kindle or other ebook reader?

That's what's stopped me from making my biweekly trip to Canterbury Tales.

Thank you a lot!

Do they require deposit, right?

No, it's not a lending library.

They sell you the books (at a discount from new), and when you return them, you get 50% credit towards your next purchase. It's not a bad deal, given their selection, unorganized as it might be.

If you are mobile and plan to stay awhile you may want to find the library up on Sukhumvit, just North of where Klang meets it.

Do they have an extensive English language section of current books?

Of perhaps just do what a lot of people did - get an ebook reader and just download what you want.
Rumors has it that English language ebooks are quite easy to find for free ;-)

Sent from my TAC-70061 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Odense

Is there anyone who can give advise about kindle, have heard of it but really have no idea

Reads like a book..indoors or outdoors. I switched to Kindle for reading a couple of years ago, and I've never regretted it.

Load it up with your favorite authors, and just read continuously...no need to go searching for a book at the bookstore, library, or 2nd hand shop.

They are very inexpensive (the original Kindle about $90 USD, the Kindle Paperwhite a little over $100 USD).

Battery life is in weeks, not days or hours.

• Upvote 1

So you can't buy em in tuk-com? you have to order it from somewhere. And then you "buy" your books online with a debit-card,Right?

Think I have to google it and get some information, but my internet is so slooow. Normaly I'm 600k from a bookstore and the books tend to run out even if bought in bulk

So you can't buy em in tuk-com? you have to order it from somewhere. And then you "buy" your books online with a debit-card,Right?

Think I have to google it and get some information, but my internet is so slooow. Normaly I'm 600k from a bookstore and the books tend to run out even if bought in bulk

Yes, you can, but they are about twice as expensive as they are when bought from Amazon...

2014-02-08 12.25.04.jpg

As far as buying books.,.there are many older books whose copyrights have expired and are free to download.

Additionally, if you are into torrents or newsgroups, you can find whole libraries of books online...no charge.

I like the idea of being able to download all of one author's books and read them sequentially, esp if they are serialized. When going to second hand shops, I would take whatever I could find, but I was seldom able to read a series in order.

You are right about that one grabs what one can find and it's not always the best of choises.

Problem I have, it takes forever to download, but I suppose I can download whenever I come to Pattaya

Ebooks aren't that big really, so even if you have a slow connection, you should be able to download ebook torrents overnight...don't let that stop you.

Guest King_Midas

Still there and quite busy but on the expensive side...

Guest King_Midas

Reads like a book..indoors or outdoors. I switched to Kindle for reading a couple of years ago, and I've never regretted it.

Load it up with your favorite authors, and just read continuously...no need to go searching for a book at the bookstore, library, or 2nd hand shop.

They are very inexpensive (the original Kindle about $90 USD, the Kindle Paperwhite a little over $100 USD).

Battery life is in weeks, not days or hours.

Only my opinion but can never compare with a good library of physical books

Yeah sure , Paul...err, Midas.

They sure are easier to carry around. It's the words, not the weight that makes it for me.

I'm sure Guttenberg had the same problem when people started saying they preferred illuminated vellum over paper and ink.

I was a regular customer of the book store on the second floor of Tops. Then I discovered Kindle. Have had mine for several years now. No problem downloading books while in Thailand. I have now finished 186 books and have three waiting for me...including Jonathan Kellerman's latest. I bought it pre-release several months ago and it showed up automatically on the Kindle yesterday. The latest one I finished was Jake Needham's latest which I had also purchased pre-release.

OK, so I'm too lazy to go to a bookstore....and it's snowing again here in the States so I'm passing the snow test.

I'll be back in Thailand later this year....and with the Kindle.

Little Roy

The Kindle has to be one of the best bits of tech in the last few years. You can carry around one thousand plus books with you.

I bought the paper white last year, great investment. Now no need to dust rows and rows of books on shelves lol.

Regards

• Upvote 1

MM, what banned books did you have in mind?

Little Roy

I'd rather not go into specifics for obvious reasons.

Let's just say, if there were a banned book I wanted to read, it could be obtained over the internet in ebook format easier and more safely than being shipped here in physical book form.