Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

UPDATE- Sizzler at Central Festival Mall

I was dragged there by my son a couple of times……….He learnt the error of his ways when I dragged him to 'Momentos' and he tried their steaks.

'Momentos' used to be at the Cocco Resort in Jomtien. It's moved to a bigger but similar poolside location where soi 8 and soi 10 Teprasit road converge.

That's our steak place now.

This is a photo of the skewers. The do chicken, Beef…… Duck or a combination of the three with a choice of six sauces. Tough to finish. Ordinary steaks come in 250 or 350 g sizes.

IMG_0269.jpg

Edited by atlas2

I really like Sizzler, particularly if I'm with a group of Thais - there's always something for everyone. It offers a good balance of price and quality, IMHO. The branches in Thailand are run by William Heinecke's Minor Food Group - the same people who own Pizza Company and operate Swensen's. I can't speak for Pattaya, but I'm always impressed with how well the staff appear to be trained at my local restaurants - any issues are always dealt with quickly and without any fuss.

Edited by CheshireTom

I like Sizzler too.

About 3 times a week I need a salad fix and it's the best all you can eat salad bar I've found in Pattaya. Iceberg lettuce, Ceasar's salad and all the trimmings with a couple of soups to choose from and with a bottle of water you are out of there under 200b.

I prefer the location at RGP as it is slower than CF.

Thanks for the excellent review Evil.

About 2 years ago I took a friend to Sizzlers in Korat (he had been working in Chaiyaphum as a teacher for about 5 years). There was 4 of us, myself I'm from Oz land and I have to say the steaks were very nice and the salad bar as you say has everything. One thing I liked was the wine (Aussie) was reasonably priced and nice.

Anyway my mate who hadn't had a decent steak for who knows how long was just drooling at the mouth with every mouthful. Our two wives loved the food as well.

From memory I was impressed with the price and had no qualms. I was not aware there was one in Pattaya but will check it out next holiday in April.

Thanks.

Hi,

I like Sizzlers as well. I find Thai/Chinese people like these type of restaurants as a change from their usual fare. Same as me, I'd prefer Thai food most of the time but Sizzlers is a good change now and then.

However, if for health reasons you're trying to cut down on red meat and fill up on salad, it's not a bad way to go.

Exactly...when I'm hungry for the veggies, salads I go to the Sizzler...

I like Sizzler too.

About 3 times a week I need a salad fix and it's the best all you can eat salad bar I've found in Pattaya. Iceberg lettuce, Ceasar's salad and all the trimmings with a couple of soups to choose from and with a bottle of water you are out of there under 200b.

I prefer the location at RGP as it is slower than CF.

The only buffet + soft drink + VAT + anything else it costs over 200 baht... but worth IMO... apart ftom the ingredients you mentioned... crispy broccoli, several good salads, grated cheese, sunflower seeds and the delicious salad creams to make your salad perfect...The pasta and soup offer is really poor, but hey... I go there to eat salads and veggies....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yes, I'm also a fan. Lived in New York for a few years and the Sizzler restaurants there were really poorly run and eventually closed down. The Pattaya Sizzlers in both RG and Central Mall are much better

Hi,

Thats no surprise. I was shocked when I realised Pan Am and TWA were such rubbish airlines. I realised that that the US is all image and no performance.

Hi,

Thats no surprise. I was shocked when I realised Pan Am and TWA were such rubbish airlines. I realised that that the US is all image and no performance.

Cross threading a bit and looking at all your contributions for this session, but ......... Have you been on the "waccy baccy" ?!
  • Upvote 3

Hi,

Haven't Pan Am and TWA been out of business for 30 or 40 years? All image and no performance? :clueless

Sizzler is a third rate steakhouse at best in the USA. If you want a decent American meal in Pattaya, it is not bad and no worse than in the States. I ate there once and it was not dissimilar to what I would find here in California, with the exception of the local fare.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for another of your typically excellent posts Evil.

I'm in agreement with what you've said about Sizzler.

The wife and I go to the local one here in Issan about every three weeks and are always satisfied.

My personal choice is:

shrimp.jpg

Along with the salad bar.

Certainly works for me.

Hi,

Broadly speaking, American beef is the best in the world. Almost everyone I have discussed this with, of any nationality, agrees with this statement. I say this objectively ( at least I believe so), and not because of some patriotic fervour.

There are pockets of specialized beef that are better, but you can get those in the US also. But go to a grocery store, buy the regular priced beef, which most people do. and American beef outdoes everyone else dollar for dollar. I have had excellent steak in Argentina - but that quality of steak is not available at most Argentinian places. And you can get the same or better in the US, but you have to look for them (not at Sizzlers), and they will be more expensive.

That is why I avoid beef in Asia - I find it stringy, tough, and of interest to dentists only.

I will try Sizzlers next time I am there, beginning with the lunch specials, based on the reviews here. Hopefully I will change my mind about some of the beef in Asia after Sizzlers and maybe some other places mentioned above.

Broadly speaking, American beef is the best in the world. Almost everyone I have discussed this with, of any nationality, agrees with this statement. I say this objectively ( at least I believe so), and not because of some patriotic fervour.

There are pockets of specialized beef that are better, but you can get those in the US also. But go to a grocery store, buy the regular priced beef, which most people do. and American beef outdoes everyone else dollar for dollar. I have had excellent steak in Argentina - but that quality of steak is not available at most Argentinian places. And you can get the same or better in the US, but you have to look for them (not at Sizzlers), and they will be more expensive.

That is why I avoid beef in Asia - I find it stringy, tough, and of interest to dentists only.

I will try Sizzlers next time I am there, beginning with the lunch specials, based on the reviews here. Hopefully I will change my mind about some of the beef in Asia after Sizzlers and maybe some other places mentioned above.

Despite all of the over-hype I find Japanese Kobe steak to be the best in the world ( That would be Asian).... and without any deliberate rhetoric intended, the most disappointing aspect (and at the time one of the most anticipated prospects) was a T-bone steak on my first US visit (Galveston). I find Aussie steaks (in Aussieland) pretty good too and even UK (When not full of Foot & Mouth

Oh yes back on topic; I am of the "Sizzler is the best place to go in Pattaya for the salad bar" persuasion. The rest is remarkably unremarkable IMHO.

Slight TF, but a good steak is not an oxymoron in Thailand. Best spot for beef in Thailand imo is Neil's off Wireless in Bkk.

attachicon.gifNeil'stavern-2.jpg

It is worth the visit.

Neil's is good.

I like the JW Marriot New York Steakhouse almost as much but Neil's is the best in Thailand for steak in my opinion also.

• Upvote 1

As far as I am concerned, Neil's Tavern in Bangkok has the very best steak in Thailand. Before you take a group of friends there, make sure you have a pocket full of money. It is pricey.

I don't think it's really fair to compare Sizzler to the best steak restaurants in Thailand, just as you wouldn't (I hope) compare Pizza Company to the best Italian restaurants in Thailand. But since we are making recommedndations, The Rib Room and Bar at The Landmark works for me (I've never been inclined to try Neil's for some unknown reason).

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's really fair to compare Sizzler to the best steak restaurants in Thailand, just as you wouldn't (I hope) compare Pizza Company to the best Italian restaurants in Thailand. But since we are making recommedndations, The Rib Room and Bar at The Landmark works for me (I've never been inclined to try Neil's for some unknown reason).

Hi,

Good point. Sizzlers has a wide choice and even if you are a veggie you have a wide choice of food. Granted the steak can be a bit hit and miss. I like Scottish rump stake personally. The really expensive sirloin is a bit too bland for me. I like a nice rump. :banana

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent review as usual Evil and pretty spot on in my opinion. However, I will inject the fact they have a great All You Can Eat salad bar for only 199 baht which is well worth it during lunch. The steaks themselves are not worth it in my opinion, I prefer Beefeaters for that in Pattaya. The new El Goucho's in Bangkok has the best steak in Thailand that I have eaten in a while. I used to think the Rib Room at the Landmark Hotel near Nana plaza was the best until I tried El Goucho's which is on Soi 19 Sukhumvit.

Edited by tequilareef