Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

UPDATE- Sizzler at Central Festival Mall

Sizzler? I've never tried the place in Thailand, but here in the US I'd hardly call the place a "steakhouse." A fast food place that serves cheap steak, for the masses. Sort of like McDonald's or KFC or Burger King, but with steak.

As for US steak in general? Usually, the stuff you buy in the typical US grocery store is "choice" meat. Not prime, and not the best. If you go to a good store, you can get the good stuff, but it'll cost you. For example, if you want prime filet mingon steaks, they can run $29.95 a pound in some stores. Usually around $19.95, but I've seen them as high as $29.95. Of course, in a good restaurant you can imagine what those steaks would cost, as an entree.

• 2 weeks later...

Sizzler here in LA is on tier two rotation of usual places I dine at. I usually don't go for the steak, even though it's usually only a couple of bucks more than "salad bar only". With Salad bar comes cheeze bread, and chicken wings, and carnitas pork and everything to make a tostada, or burrito. The place near my house is a "training" restaurant, so the staff are on their toes. I'm just sayin............

Sizzler? I've never tried the place in Thailand, but here in the US I'd hardly call the place a "steakhouse." A fast food place that serves cheap steak, for the masses. Sort of like McDonald's or KFC or Burger King, but with steak.

As for US steak in general? Usually, the stuff you buy in the typical US grocery store is "choice" meat. Not prime, and not the best. If you go to a good store, you can get the good stuff, but it'll cost you. For example, if you want prime filet mingon steaks, they can run $29.95 a pound in some stores. Usually around $19.95, but I've seen them as high as $29.95. Of course, in a good restaurant you can imagine what those steaks would cost, as an entree.

Actually I wouldn't call filet mignon steak. Yes it is tender but lacks the steak flavor. A good steak needs some fat to have the best flavor. I would prefer a prime chuck steak, which is the cheapest cut, over a filet. My last trip to the US, I went shopping for a family BBQ and had sticker shock at the meat counter. Decent T Bones were about $9.95 a pound, pound, not kilo. I'm actually happier with the chuck steak than the T Bones. That big bone is a waste besides being a pain to eat around.

A frugal mate told me his trick: He orders a steak with the salad bar, enjoy the salad bar and asking the steak to take out...he had a good salad bar lunch and a great steak later for a few bahts...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A frugal mate told me his trick: He orders a steak with the salad bar, enjoy the salad bar and asking the steak to take out...he had a good salad bar lunch and a great steak later for a few bahts...

Um, Sizler's salad bar is all you can eat. In other words, you can go back.

I do not think that is any different in LOS than in the States.

Correct me if i am wrong in LOS.

So how did he save money unless the LOS salad bar is not all you can eat?

Actually I wouldn't call filet mignon steak. Yes it is tender but lacks the steak flavor. A good steak needs some fat to have the best flavor. I would prefer a prime chuck steak, which is the cheapest cut, over a filet. My last trip to the US, I went shopping for a family BBQ and had sticker shock at the meat counter. Decent T Bones were about $9.95 a pound, pound, not kilo. I'm actually happier with the chuck steak than the T Bones. That big bone is a waste besides being a pain to eat around.

Yes, Gary, beef is way up. Pork may be soon with the contagious dysentery that has killed hundreds of thousands of swine in the midwest.

I prefer fattier beef cuts as well. To make the more tender I braise both sides to keep the juices in and cook it more slowly. I prefer a good pot roast to most steaks.

Um, Sizler's salad bar is all you can eat. In other words, you can go back.

I do not think that is any different in LOS than in the States.

Correct me if i am wrong in LOS.

So how did he save money unless the LOS salad bar is not all you can eat?

Sizzler's salad buffets in Thailand are all you can eat and like their places in the US the salad bar is no additional charge if you order an entree.

So what Gabor is saying is his buddy orders some entree, often as inexpensive as 249 Baht and gorges on the salad bar which includes chicken and tuna salads, soups, desserts, and other things like in the US ... and has his entree bagged for consumption later; in effect 2 meals for 249 Baht plus tax.

• Upvote 2

I generally buy a few double packs of steak when they're on sale so pay an average of $7.50 a lb. Give me a medium rare marbled New York or Rib Eye off the grill over a Filet Mignon any day of the week. As you say, there's a reason they wrap those filet's in bacon.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a bit off-putting, not to mention dangerous, to be at a salad bar or any other buffet-style setup at the same time as Russians. A plague of locusts; the Visigoths sacking Rome; the Red Army plundering Berlin in 1945 - those are the best comparisons to what happened at the salad bar that afternoon. And they then ate with gluttony the likes of which isn't even described in the Bible.

…………. for sheer constancy and aggressiveness, Russians take the gold medal in buffet greed.

Evil

:devil

"The Assyrian came down like a wolf on the foal"

I've read that the Chinese are filling doggy-bags at their Chang Mai hotel's breakfast buffet. And I know from, slurping-gobbing, nose-picking, belching, first-hand Phuket experience that old chinese men are the worst. I'm not exactly from the top table of polite society myself but as he ignored the triffid withering looks I was giving him I had to ask to be moved away from the slob…….Managing to squeeze out a vindictive fart as I passed by his trough.

As for the Russians this is another negative to add to a growing list.

Good head's-up Evil.

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1