Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi,

I'd remind people that Russia has very little debt. The US.......

But I doubt 'eat less' would get Hillary elected!

Although she might suggest it to Mike!

Edited by jacko
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please keep your political/economic diatribe confined to the BUST thread. That way, your endless rants won't intrude into areas where they are of no interest.

Hi,   The bankers are behind the unrest in Ukraine. They know they are BUST and are trying to fight back. The bankers are on the back foot. The Russians are not pumping loads of money into the marke

Paper that gives one ownership in a real company with real assets that is producing real products and generating a real cash flow year after year! What is gold producing and generating for you?

Posted Images

If you mean do I have a guess on how low the ruble can fall against the baht... well, my guess is as bad as the next guys. But I'll stick with the number I posted on a different thread asking for 2015 predictions.

I'm watching for the number 35

I think that the US dollar could rise to 35-1, the Russian ruble could fall to 35-1 and both would be in large part because I believe that oil could drop to $35 per barrel.

Those numbers are very likely.

With USD on a steady rise and oil on a fall, with stabilized price anywhere from 10 to 50, the number of russians heading for the economic exits could become a flood.

A spike below 35 is also a real possibility.

Decline of the Ruble

================

Jan 28, 2015 US$1 = 67.8 rubles
1 Baht = 2.08 rubles
1 Euro = 76.4586 rubles
Jan 28, 2014 US$1 = 34.6 rubles
1 Baht = 1.05 rubles

1 Euro = 47.3354 rubles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After watching this recent video, I am not surprised there are so many unfriendly and unapproachable Russians here in Thailand. I have met a few decent ones, but not many. I always thought is was always due to coming from a very cold country, where the majority live under very harsh conditions, except their leadership, mainly incredibly rich oligarchs, with their wealth coming from money stolen when the USSR fell apart. Apparently most Russians are heavily influenced by their state run propaganda machine on TV, which does not allow any live talk shows or any other TV programs, unless they are heavily censored before they are allowed to be shown. This video was allowed to be shown only a short while ago. Read the English subtitles.

http://youtu.be/T65SwzHAbes

• Upvote 2

Wow.

They forget to mention that in constructing the cotton industry on the "Steppes" (kazakhstan etc) they drained the Aral sea for irrigation, destroyed livelihoods and caused immeasurable and irreversible ecological damage to the local environment. Not to mention the other damage they've done along the way with industrial waste etc.

Good bit of propaganda, and to be fair to them I understand why some Russians act like twats. during our last trip Mrs Butch got chatting to a girl on her hols with her parents, she explained that it's largely the older generation, along with our generation ( the one that grew up in the 80's) who tend to be the less polite and less understanding of western manners because they were always told we were the enemy, the oppressor and aggressor (which the clip mentions). The younger generation now has access to the Web and can make their own decisions and draw their own conclusions.

Either way, it's stirring stuff. If you're a Russian.

Here is another beauty. Is it something to be concerned about, even here in Thailand or any other country I can think of? I think so. If anyone thinks the oligarchs or other privileged Russians allowed to travel are worried about the decline of the Ruble, they could be mistaken. Most of their wealth has been transferred to other currencies to obliging countries happy to do so, according to different live talk shows on Deutsche Welle, which can be watched on cable TV BTV Jomtien every night from from 9.30 PM, where the moderators allow heated discussion between European and Russian politicians or ambassadors and other Russia experts with a good understanding of the conflict, which has already started a new cold war and could get worse. Putin could be another Stalin in the making, in my opinion.

If the moderators of Pattaya Talk think this thread belongs into the political section, please put it there. I was not sure whether I should have put it there in the first.place, but I thought the issue could be of interest to members living or visiting Thailand, as it could be a contributing factor of so many visitors or permanent residents here having big problems with their currencies in decline. I have now met quite a few people depending on income from pensions becoming desperate as their currencies have declined by approximately 20% percent against the Thai baht and it is not only people from the Euro zone . When we walk down to the markets in the evenings we see many tourists or residents eating 40 baht meals at the food stalls, whereas in the past they would have meals in the many restaurants and bars, desperately and unsuccessfully. looking for Europeans from the Euro zone and people from countries with other currencies affected as well. There are many Brits, Norwegians, Swedes a few Canadians, quite a few of the poorer Russians with their wives packing or trying to get seats at the small plastic stools of the many food stalls at the Rhompo market or the other market large market on Jomtien Beach Road. naturally there are many other reasons for the decline of their currencies, but the Russian problem is also a major contributing factor.

The self-funded retirees, especially the ones with larger sums of Thai baht in their banks are not affected so far, but that could also change with all the many uncertainties affecting the global markets.

I had an excellent Thai guy with the help of his wife doing a great job attaching two new doors in our condo in Jomtien. As well as doing some electrical work on the ceiling fans and attaching new fittings in the bathroom. The cost of the doors and other materials was 7000 baht. When the job was finished with great skill he asked for 1400 payment for three days work. I was actually embarrassed when he gave me the price and gave him another 1600 baht tip, which amounted to 10000 baht for a job well done. I then asked him if he could replace the slightly damaged wooden kitchen top with a granite one and replace all the plumbing in the kitchen and all the plumbing in the bathroom with new good quality PVC parts and steel hoses as well. He will be back next Monday morning to start work again. He quoted 5000 baht for the materials needed and his wages. If he does an another job as well as the one he just completed he will even get another additional good tip and a box of large bottles of Chang Export, his preferred tipple. when he does a job he will only drink iced coffee and water.

He told the missus he found it difficult to get work these days as not many farangs wanted any jobs done. The missus explained to him that many farangs had financial problems. He used to be the main repair man working for Home Pro next to Big C Extra, where he was paid a commission only for any jobs done mainly for farangs. Now after he started working by himself with the assistance of his able wife, he could not work out why it was so difficult to find farangs wanting new installations or repair work done. Now he knows the reason, after the missus explained it to him. If anyone wants him to do a good job at their condo or house, I will be happy to supply his phone numbers and a couple of pictures of the work he has done, after he returns to our place next Monday and after he completes the new job when it is finished, if I am allowed to do so by this board. He speaks no English, but that should not be a problem. He knows exactly what needs to be done.

http://youtu.be/if0eXbIprnw

• Upvote 2

No problem providing contact info for a good worker!

Thanks for that.I told him I might be able to help him find more work by recommending him on a message board with a large membership. I will do so on a different thread with a few pictures after he finishes the work with the plumbing in the bathroom and in the kitchen and replaces the old kitchen desk made from wood with one made from what he calls granite, probably like the one I had installed with my bathroom sink when I had my condo totally refurbished by another good trades man after I bought it from a friend in 2007. The bathroom door is made from PVC, which not only looks very nice, but like granite does not absorb any water when wet, unlike material made from cheap timber. The new entrance door is made from solid timber, unlike some of the cheap 600 baht doors some people use, not a good idea as they can be knocked down with a good shoulder charge. :ninja:

In the meantime I can give you his phone numbers.

Num's number is 0967098286 and his wife Suk's number is 0926876345. They will be happy to do any job large or small with a lot of skill and dedication at a very fair price. We rang them after we had a look at the totally refurbished condo of an Italian man on the same floor a couple of doors away, which took took Nam and his wife quite some time, as the Italian man was quite demanding to have the best possible job done, Both of them only speak Thai, so it be will necessary to have a Thai speaker to ring them.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Just noticed that the number of Russian channels on my local TV has gone down from 10 to just 1.

Happy days are here again!

The Russians have no one to blame except their fearless leader. Do you think they understand that fact.

The Russians have no one to blame except their fearless leader. Do you think they understand that fact.

Probaby not.

My London-based Russian friend recently told me (in all seriousness) that the USA ordered the Saudis to force down the price of crude oil so that Russia would have to return the Crimea to the Ukraine.

If that's the sort of thing they are being told, who knows what they are thinking.

No, he is still tremendously popular. He is stirring the "Nationalism" pot. Creating anger against outside foes. Just like Hitler did with the Germans....

Putin has the potential to become a very serious problem for the world.

Hitler did not believe that the English and French would stand up to him. And they did not until it was too late.

Putin does not think the US and Western Europe will stand up to him.

As the Russian economy continues to collapse serious violence may become one of the few options Putin has.

We can only hope someone in their military kills him soon. I doubt that will happen.

• Upvote 1

Putin has the potential to become a very serious problem for the world.

Hitler did not believe that the English and French would stand up to him. And they did not until it was too late.

Putin does not think the US and Western Europe will stand up to him.

As the Russian economy continues to collapse serious violence may become one of the few options Putin has.

We can only hope someone in their military kills him soon. I doubt that will happen.

Putin a problem? Really? I know there are some within the US Foreign Policy apparatus that are pushing for a war with Russia. They somehow see Russia as a "threat." I don't see it, though. I think it's just the same old crap. Certain elements pushing for another war because wars are profitable. Of course, any nuclear exchange would be catastrophic.

Some time back, Putin warned the world that Russia is a powerful nuclear power.

Some time back, Putin warned the world that Russia is a powerful nuclear power.

They still have over 8400 nukes…..that's more than any other country. They have to be taken seriously.

That's the trouble with nukes……..ransoms can be demanded.

The weight of matter that fueled the Hiroshima bomb was equal to a paper clip. It's well known that 'suitcase' bombs have been manufactured, easy to 'lose' one of those……….

Putin a problem? Really? I know there are some within the US Foreign Policy apparatus that are pushing for a war with Russia. They somehow see Russia as a "threat." I don't see it, though. I think it's just the same old crap. Certain elements pushing for another war because wars are profitable. Of course, any nuclear exchange would be catastrophic.

I remember a few years ago as the US prepared to pull out of Iraq the Obama propaganda machine began the spread things along the lines of the war is over, Al Qaeda is defeated - there is nothing to be concerned about, "They are just a bunch of "Cavemen".

And as Al Qaeda began to reconstitute and morph into ISIS Obama and company called them the JV's, nothing to be concerned about.

As we witness ISIS spread around the globe at the speed of the Internet we may wish to consider if the "head in the sand" foreign policy practiced by Obama is the best approach.

Our guys flying the limited fuel fast movers complain about no one lighting up targets with the lasers. In this day of high tech drones, what is wrong with having small expendable drones doing the targeting? I rarely agree with Obama but I too am against having boots on the ground. The billions of dollars training and equipping the Iraqi army was a serious waste of money and effort. ISIS got many of their weapons from the "trained troops" running away and not even bothering to destroy the abandoned weapons. Someone missed the part of training that says to leave nothing behind that is usable to the enemy. The PC commanders have jailed some of our soldiers for doing their jobs.

Hi,

I can see no push for war from Putin either. Russia is a formidable enemy who. with respect to all the others, beat the Nazis in WW2. Russia lost 20 million people in that war. They have my respect for doing that. US is financially bust which is why the bankers, who control US at this time, are pushing for war.

Hi,

I can see no push for war from Putin either. Russia is a formidable enemy who. with respect to all the others, beat the Nazis in WW2. Russia lost 20 million people in that war. They have my respect for doing that. US is financially bust which is why the bankers, who control US at this time, are pushing for war.

Hum, let me see if I have this straight. The US bankers are the reason Putin invaded Crimea? And the reason he has his troops in the Ukraine?

Out of curiosity do you respect Putin/Russia for the takeover of the Crimea?

Hum, let me see if I have this straight. The US bankers are the reason Putin invaded Crimea? And the reason he has his troops in the Ukraine?

Out of curiosity do you respect Putin/Russia for the takeover of the Crimea?

You might ask the Georgians as well about Putin.

Yes and Poland, Latvia, and a few others whom Russia is intimidating. For that matter I doubt you could find a European government who is happy with Putin, much less respect him. It takes a certain kind of person to respect Putin. Much less blame it on the US and/or US bankers.