Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Best Motorbike for a Fat Newbie

I don't know why you are so contemptuous of Thai products. I have seen some good helmets in the general stores, and I am sure specialty stores will have even better ones.

Of course, if your budget is 400 or 500 baht then you will probably not get a great helmet. But a few more baht should get you an acceptable helmet. Some digging may even turn up a standard that some Thai helmet manufacturers follow.

The PCX 150, incidentally, is also imported into the U.S. One big difference here is that Honda cannot put in the feature that turns off the engine at prolonged stops. Safety reasons perhaps.

Did I say they were all made in Thailand and did I mention anything other than motorcycle helmets?

But that was what I saw in BigC-X.

I was in the 'general stores' only weeks ago hunting for a new one (strap broke suddenly) and they had little variety... perhaps my head is large but most were too tight.

Very limited selection and some very poor ones.

I ended up at Miton across from Big-C-X where they had a better selection.

They really seemed to be more about look than safety standard.

The expensive ones get stolen as quick as you can do your shopping.

Edited by jacko

Good point made by Jacko about expensive helmets getting stolen. With the cheap helmets you can leave them hanging on your bike and more often than not they will still be there when you get back, but stick a decent one on your handlebars and you are likely to be saying 'bye bye' to it!!

One of the main reasons I rent the PCX 150 is that I can get a proper helmet under the seat, so out of sight, out of mind. Many of the other bikes I tried could only get the smaller cheap helmets under the seat .

KM

Did I say they were all made in Thailand and did I mention anything other than motorcycle helmets?

But that was what I saw in BigC-X.

I was in the 'general stores' only weeks ago hunting for a new one (strap broke suddenly) and they had little variety... perhaps my head is large but most were too tight.

Very limited selection and some very poor ones.

I ended up at Miton across from Big-C-X where they had a better selection.

They really seemed to be more about look than safety standard.

The expensive ones get stolen as quick as you can do your shopping.

I guess you are going to wiggle your fat ass (I am guessing) and try to grease your way out of putting your foot in your mouth (again).

Well, I am not vindictive, I will let you.

But I hope you keep in mind that hurtful statements about everything Thai does not earn you any marks, especially when they are untrue. I am sure some Thai people read this forum too.

Even if they don't, the point is, when a tree falls in the forest, it does make a sound.

I guess you are going to wiggle your fat ass (I am guessing) and try to grease your way out of putting your foot in your mouth (again).

Well, I am not vindictive, I will let you.

But I hope you keep in mind that hurtful statements about everything Thai does not earn you any marks, especially when they are untrue. I am sure some Thai people read this forum too.

Even if they don't, the point is, when a tree falls in the forest, it does make a sound.

When did you last go shopping for a motorcycle helmet in Pattaya?

Maybe I need to get my head examined

Yes, no need to bandy insults around, by the way my posterior is not particularly large. Edited by jacko

Weekends at dawn is a good time to learn on the road. Traffic is light and the drunk drivers are pretty much off the road. When you rent a bike, check the tire pressure and with the rear tire off the ground. Grab the rear tire and see if it moves from side to side. If it does the bushing is shot. Rent a different bike. Buy a good helmet. I always used a Snell approved helmet. These helmets are built to the highest safety standards. Your head is worth the expense. Amazon sells these.

Your last point; I don't recommend buying a helmet on-line. They come in different sizes, also, different makes have different padding layouts. You need to try it on to get one that fits and is comfortable. A US or UK standard helmet will be safest, but unless it's designed for a tropical market, you'll cook in it.

I would also advise gloves - leather fingerless unpadded are fine. As a beginner you WILL come off at some point and your natural instinct will put the heel of your hand down first (if possible). Leather gloves will save you a lot of pain when that happens. Also long trousers - jeans are best - for the same reason.

Once you're more experienced you can make your own decisions on these things, but as a beginner you need all the safety equipment that you can get.

I would say the same at home, but in Thailand the risk is so much greater - bad roads / lunatic pedestrians / drivers/riders with no real training and macho/rage attitudes when the slightest thing annoys them and no regard whatsoever for the law.

Your last point; I don't recommend buying a helmet on-line. They come in different sizes, also, different makes have different padding layouts. You need to try it on to get one that fits and is comfortable. A US or UK standard helmet will be safest, but unless it's designed for a tropical market, you'll cook in it.

I would also advise gloves - leather fingerless unpadded are fine. As a beginner you WILL come off at some point and your natural instinct will put the heel of your hand down first (if possible). Leather gloves will save you a lot of pain when that happens. Also long trousers - jeans are best - for the same reason.

Once you're more experienced you can make your own decisions on these things, but as a beginner you need all the safety equipment that you can get.

I would say the same at home, but in Thailand the risk is so much greater - bad roads / lunatic pedestrians / drivers/riders with no real training and macho/rage attitudes when the slightest thing annoys them and no regard whatsoever for the law.

I

You make some very good points. Every helmet I've ever bought was at a motorcycle shop. It must be a good fit. If one is unable to buy a high quality helmet locally. I'd buy from Amazon.

I

You make some very good points. Every helmet I've ever bought was at a motorcycle shop. It must be a good fit. If one is unable to buy a high quality helmet locally. I'd buy from Amazon.

Is that the shop on Second Rd just before the Dolphin restaurant.

Why would you ask some one who has never ridden a motor bike on Thailand.

Why would you ask some one who has never ridden a motor bike on Thailand.

An attempt to yank Big D's chain. Instead ...

An attempt to yank Big D's chain. Instead ...

Not at all, i dont need to yank his chain. He does that himself and if you think he has ever ridden a motor bike in any where you need to get up a little earlier in the mornings.

I

Not at all, i dont need to yank his chain. He does that himself and if you think he has ever ridden a motor bike in any where you need to get up a little earlier in the mornings.

Hint, it's not about about where you would buy a helmet in Pattaya.

Hint, it's not about about where you would buy a helmet in Pattaya.

Do try to keep up. He has been bullshitting on here for more than 10 years and you still dont get it :clueless There is more chance that the sky is pink than he ever tells the truth about anything.

Do try to keep up. He has been bullshitting on here for more than 10 years and you still dont get it :clueless There is more chance that the sky is pink than he ever tells the truth about anything.

Sigh, you do know what Amazon is?

Sigh, you do know what Amazon is?

It sells motorcycle bits and pieces apparently. To be fair, I think BigD mentioned that he wears his Snell approved helmet when he's driving his invalid scooter thingie around Pattaya.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 3

It sells motorcycle bits and pieces apparently. To be fair, I think BigD mentioned that he wears his Snell approved helmet when he's driving his invalid scooter thingie around Pattaya.

attachicon.gifamazon.jpg

Thanks. Unless Jacko or Big D want to clarify further . . .

attachicon.gifamazon.jpg

Ha ha, superb !

Regards

Edited by Fireman Sam
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi I have not been to LOS for a few years but my advice is germane, I was never under 150KG in all my stays in Pattaya and any of the Bikes I rode from 115cc to 135cc were all OK as far as pulling my weight. If however you are an unskilled rider I would get a Twist and go Automatic and that way you do not have to worry about learning how to change gears.

I always took the cheapest deal I could but you may be of a different mind but any twist and go will suit if you weigh as much as150KG,these bike would also take my girl of the day on the back so unless you want to go speeding along, these small bikes will

get to 50MPH and above even with a fatty on board. If you want to go faster then learn to ride well before you even think of

renting a big bike. The one drawback that weight will bring with it seems to be more punctures ,but with many garages around who

will(would when I was last in town) fix them for less than a couple of Pounds($3)that is not as much of a hardship as it might be back home. Ride safe watch both sides and expect the traffic to come at you from every angle, but don't be put off by naysayers..

• Upvote 1