Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Bicycle as a primary method of transportation

Hi, do you think a bicycle would be a good primary form of transportation in Pattaya? I'm not the type to take lots of trips so my needs are to get to groceries and a general supply store in under 20 minutes by bike, and "entertainment" areas in under 30. Bikes cover about 10 miles an hour (excluding traffic) and I'd be traveling from a cheaper part of the city.

Thanks!

Edited by simplelife

Bicycles and traffic don't mix well in the US.

In Thailand, it's far worse, as in suicidal. Will you be anywhere a baht bus? If so, that's a safer and more convenient option.

How developed are the sidewalks? Are there rules against biking on sidewalks?

hahahahahahaha..... The guys in wheelchairs use the roads instead of the sidewalks in Pattaya. Recently, I ran across a sidewalk ramp that had a electric pole support cable going right down the middle of it making the ramp completely useless.

I'm curious which people would think is more dangerous, riding a bike on the roads or riding a motorbike on the roads. Certainly the motorbikes can go faster than a peddle bike much of the time. But then again, you can also get out of the way quicker.

I ride a bike in bike lanes at home, but Pattaya, you'd need to be very careful.

To and from main areas would be nuts, and sidewalks are missing or terrible anyway.

For exercise on side sois it would be fine, like near RG the side sois off Thappraya are quiet and if you had a little map you could get a lot of time in.

But Beach, 2nd , 3rd, South, Central, North Pattaya roads, suicide.

How developed are the sidewalks? Are there rules against biking on sidewalks?

There are definitely rules if I'm walking on them. Even in the UK I just stop cycles that do that.

Sometimes they aren't happy. Tough. :bigsmile:

• Upvote 1

I rode a bike along Sukhumvit Road in Banchang & Sattahip for a while and gave it up when I nearly got creamed a few times by idiots on motorcycles.

Don't forget a helmet! :ninja:

When you do seeing bike riders, a good percentage of them are wearing proper bicycle helmets.

Hi, do you think a bicycle would be a good primary form of transportation in Pattaya? I'm not the type to take lots of trips so my needs are to get to groceries and a general supply store in under 20 minutes by bike, and "entertainment" areas in under 30. Bikes cover about 10 miles an hour (excluding traffic) and I'd be traveling from a cheaper part of the city.

Thanks!

I ride a bicycle on average 150 km/week in and around Pattaya. No doubt it's a riskier mode of transportation, even more so in Thailand. What it boils down to is how much risk you're comfortable assuming in your day to day life. If you understand the risks and take steps to mitigate those risks, a bicycle can certainly be a viable mode of transport.

First is to increase your visibility by riding with flashing LED lights, front and rear. Wearing a fluorescent vest is another good idea. For myself, I also limit my riding to daylight hours. I'd also recommend installing mirrors on the bike.

Let me know if you, or anyone else is interested in joining me and a few others on our weekly rides.

my needs are to get to groceries and a general supply store in under 20 minutes by bike, and "entertainment" areas in under 30.

I can understand bikes as a keep fit pastime. But surely cycling 30 mins to an entertainment venue would leave you wet and oderous in the extreme. Then what? Get a barfine to hop on the back? I'm guessing you don't drink alcohol?

• Downvote 1

forcebwithu,

Do you get much trouble from chasing dogs?

Punctures from the debris lying about?

Bike flags are another safety tip to gain visibility.

Good questions. For the most part the dogs ignore you, but on occasion there are a few that are aggressive. In those cases I've found the best defense is offense. Rather than continue pedaling, I hit the brake and get aggressive back at the dog. That's worked in every case and I've never been attacked.

Debris on the road is a big problem. I average one or two punctures a month. I carry a spare tube and a hand pump as well as a patch kit for the rare occasion when I get two punctures on one ride. When that happens it's always been a case of missing the thorn or small nail in the tire that caused the first puncture.

forcebwithu,

Punctures from the debris lying about?

Bike flags are another safety tip to gain visibility.

Do you ever get followed by 300 chinese tourists? :bhappy

KM

• Upvote 1

forcebwithu,

Particularly on soi 6?

For the past five years, my main transportation in Pattaya has been to either walk or ride one of my mountain bikes through the streets of Pattaya, Jomtien and sometimes beyond. I live in Central Pattaya and I regularly walk or ride to afternoon Gentlemen clubs in Jomtien and to the Darkside bars, Walking Street, Soi 6, Naklua, etc.. A walk can take hours (45 min to WS) where on the bicycle it is under 20 minutes, but I am retired from work so it is less about time and more about how I feel. Some months, I ride daily multiple times a day - pre-dawn to the gym, coffeeshop, lunch, a massage and then at night park/lock in a central location like "The Avenue" while bar hopping.

In Pattaya, i had a motorcycle and now a motorbike, but use them infrequently as I "feel" safer during the day here on the bicycle. In the States, i was an avid motorcyclist riding hundreds of thousands of miles commuting and trips from coast to coast in all weather except snow. In Pattaya, on my bicycles i try to emulate the movie, "Premium Rush." I recently stopped riding the bicycle at night as i tired of carrying my lights with me into bars. Now, if i go to the gym before sunrise i take my motorbike or wait for the sunrise to ride a bicycle. On the bicycle, i can easily pass traffic and motorbikes on Beach or 2nd Road and stay to the far left on 3rd Road and Sukhumvit except the first 100-200 yards sprint after a green light :). A bicycle can split lanes where a motorbike cannot. I can hop on and off the sidewalks to circumvent backed up traffic. Normally, I do not ride on the sidewalks as I am also a walker and the sidewalks are full of debris, holes, hanging electical wires, sunshades and pedestrians :).

I see many ladies slowly and safely riding to/from work on their 'suburban' bicycles whereas I also see others carelessly and at high speed unsafely riding motorbikes.

Drive or ride what feels right for you. Since they were 5 years old, my three kids rode motorcycles on the farm and bicycles in town so they understand that one day I may make a fatal error or get hit by another rider or driver. My choice. We choose our risks and enjoy life.

P.S. I have more trouble with Soi dogs while walking very late at night east of 3rd Road, than from bicycle riding during the day (too hot for them).

In the bars and restaurants, I always wash up in the hong nam after a long walk or ride. The girls say 'roam,' but I also know they call everyone handsome :), so after a drink, I use a ST room for a good shower.

Edited by losgrad
  • Upvote 3

I am glad you posted personal experience losgrad.

I was in town yesterday and I spotted a few guys riding push bikes around (maybe you) and it made me think a bit..... I don't see it as any more dangerous than a motorbike, particularly around central Pattaya/beach rd etc. Of course NOT Sukhumvit,

There aren't dog packs on Beach rd or Klang.

And as to a night out, well of course, like a motorbike, it should be left at home.

My missus wanted one to go to the nearby market, so in the rural areas it can work too. She takes a route away from the dog packs.

Funny that, when Thailand was poor you never saw one, but they are common these days, I see packs of riders heading up the Railway line bypass quite often.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Another question about securing the bike--Is it safe to keep a bike strapped outside with a regular cable lock? Or is bike theft a big problem? Most likely I will live in a tiny apartment so this is important.

Funny that, when Thailand was poor you never saw one, but they are common these days.

Not to be a contrarian, but the ex had one for a while in Udon in 1976 or 1977. It definitely did not have 10 gears!

Not to be a contrarian, but the ex had one for a while in Udon in 1976 or 1977. It definitely did not have 10 gears!

Well her and the old guy who goes around sharpening knives maybe. :D

• Upvote 1

Well her and the old guy who goes around sharpening knives maybe. :D

Ah Joe, come back, all is forgiven.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Another question about securing the bike--Is it safe to keep a bike strapped outside with a regular cable lock? Or is bike theft a big problem? Most likely I will live in a tiny apartment so this is important.

A cable lock is fine for short periods of time, but if you have an expensive bike I wouldn't recommend outside storage. Not only is theft a problem, but the weather here will quickly trash your bike. I use cheap, rear wheel bike stands and park my bikes inside.

IMG_5983.jpg

• Upvote 1